Mac vs Laptop

My friend is about to spend £1200 on a new Mac, the main use for this MacBook is to play FM.

I have said he should be buying a new Laptop PC with this money, but to be fair, I dont really know what I am talking about!

Can anyone give me some pro's and con's for PC's and Mac's that I can throw at him?

Or anything he should know when purchasing Laptop or Mac?

Hes booked some time at the Mac shop to be shown how it works, but any good salesman will (understandably) only show him the good bits, and not give a fair comparison to the Laptop.

My friend is about to spend £1200 on a new Mac, the main use for this MacBook is to play FM.

I have said he should be buying a new Laptop PC with this money, but to be fair, I dont really know what I am talking about!

Can anyone give me some pro's and con's for PC's and Mac's that I can throw at him?

Or anything he should know when purchasing Laptop or Mac?

Hes booked some time at the Mac shop to be shown how it works, but any good salesman will (understandably) only show him the good bits, and not give a fair comparison to the Laptop.

To spend £1200 on a Mac which is primarily going to be used for playing FM is absolutely crazy. Your friend has more money than sense!

The only thing to consider here is that perfectly good laptops are available for circa £400 which will easily handle FM. E.g. my HP 6735s has 4GB RAM, a 2.1Ghz dual core CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, 15.4" screen, 300GB hard drive and cost £400 (admittedly it didn't come with Windows 7, I can't remember which OS it came with, but it'll come with Win7 if you buy it now I'd have thought).

To pay three times that for a machine which is going to be used for probably less than what my laptop does is simply ridiculous.

Tell your friend to his face, GET AN ALIENWARE LAPTOP! The best laptops out there in the market for £1200. They can handle any game out there, cod4, cod waw, fm, left for dead, dead or alive, resident evil.... you name it and it will handle with ease.

and they'll also mark up the laptop about 80-150% to stick an alien and a few LEDs on it.

Speaking from the Mac side, pretty much any laptop(PC or Mac) will be able to run FM2010 as long as it's over $1000US and has a dedicated graphics card. I guess it depends on what else he wants to do with his laptop. If he's going to do a lot of media production(not consumption) then a Mac(with dual graphics cards) might be his better option as it'll let him play most games and still be great for the media production. If he just wants to play games tell him get a laptop PC with the best graphics card, at least 4GB of RAM and at least a 3.GHz processor and he'll do great and save some money.

If you don't want it to crash, don't get Vista!!

I got a Mac because of Vista, got it secondhand off eBay for £505 (4GB Ram 2.4GHZ Dual Core, 250GB HD)

Either get a Mac or XP Laptop secondhand - you will save money and have better reliability (IE, system wont crash in the middle of a cup final lol)

To spend £1200 on a Mac which is primarily going to be used for playing FM is absolutely crazy. Your friend has more money than sense!

The only thing to consider here is that perfectly good laptops are available for circa £400 which will easily handle FM. E.g. my HP 6735s has 4GB RAM, a 2.1Ghz dual core CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, 15.4" screen, 300GB hard drive and cost £400 (admittedly it didn't come with Windows 7, I can't remember which OS it came with, but it'll come with Win7 if you buy it now I'd have thought).

To pay three times that for a machine which is going to be used for probably less than what my laptop does is simply ridiculous.

yea but all 400 pound laptops have an "intergrated graphics" which the fm 3d match engine is especially badly coded and is really slow even though the graphics arent even that 3D. i have "intergrated graphics" and it slugs along like a snail even though games like spore and halo work great.

oh and yea i agree with the dont get vista! everything crashes and things just dissapear from your screen constantly. and if your going to get a 32-bit OS don't bother with the 4gb of RAM cause the OS can't even use that much anyway

If you don't want it to crash, don't get Vista!!

I got a Mac because of Vista, got it secondhand off eBay for £505 (4GB Ram 2.4GHZ Dual Core, 250GB HD)

Either get a Mac or XP Laptop secondhand - you will save money and have better reliability (IE, system wont crash in the middle of a cup final lol)

dont tell people to get xp now days, it was released 7 years ago now I think.

I haven't yet experienced the horrible-ness of vista. I bought into all the hype about the problems etc and when I installed vista I kept XP just in case I hated it. I've used it for months now without ever even using XP, and I'm planning to overwrite that drive with windows 7 so I have vista as backup now.

Macbook Air

1,86GHz

* Intel Core 2 Duo 1066 MHz frontbuss

* 2 GB ram

* 120 GB SATA-harddisk1

* Nvidia GeForce 9400M

Price: £1,323.74

------------------------------------------------

Macbook Pro

15": 2.8GHz

Intel Core 2 Duo

4 GB ram

500 GB harddisk

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT med 512MB

£1,984.67

---------------------------------------------

Multicom Xishan W760

- 15.6" HD/HD+/Full HD

15.6" Wide LED Full-HD 1920x1080

Intel Core i7 720QM 1.6GHz (Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz) 6MB Smart Cache 45W

4 GB SO-DIMM 1333MHz DDR3 (2x2GB)

500GB Harddisk SATA 7200RPM 2.5"

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570, 512MB GDDR2 minne

Price: £1,123.62

Compared to the Macbook Air it's basicly twice the power for less money

The MacBook Pro is weaker in terms of processor, slightly slower ram and harddrive, but with two graphic cards. You don't need that for FM though so it's almost twice as expensive for a weaker computer.

Prices are from norwegian sites so may wary

Mac for media.

I'm involved in the music industry, my mac is vital to me.

Windows used to drive me round the bend.

Ta da

I use a Macbook Pro to play FM, and it's great, I would choose OSX over Windows anyday!

(Off Topic) Kevin, what do you do in the music industry? This was the main reason I brought my mac.

you can't really compare a mac and pc spec to spec, since the operating system and everything else are so different.

I used my Mac for my work (photoshop and final cut pro mainly) and swear by it. however, if anyone is buying a computer just to play game, i would definitely not recommend a mac.

Archived