Stadium need to be all seater.

Just a quick question about something that has been bugging me for awhile.

When a team gets promoted to Coca Cola Championship do they not need to get there ground to a all seater within a set number of years ? I could swear this used to be the case in previous FM's but doesn't seem to be the case in 09.

The rule used to be in the game in previous versions ?

I dont recall that it has been because you can imagine the frustration for career gamers of taking a lower division team to the top league and not getting in because of stadium size or facilities

I'm sure I remember getting a team into the Championship and getting a note telling me that the ground needs to be all seater within two years (Maybe 06/07), I'm sure the income from the Championship also paid for this over a year or two so it wasn't a major problem. Maybe its just my mind playing tricks on me :)

Surely this rule could come back into the game, however those clubs that cannot afford to have their stadium turned into an all seater just has its terraced areas cordoned off untill it can. Financial problames occuring from this are all part and parcel of football life and these sort of things are what makes fm more realistic and stand out then its competitors. I still think the stadium side of the game needs a whole revamp anyway. Should list each of the stands what they hold, their potential, restrictions etc etc.

I dont recall that it has been because you can imagine the frustration for career gamers of taking a lower division team to the top league and not getting in because of stadium size or facilities

I have a feeling that boards just go out and carry out the necessary expansion or new stadium to allow promotion to a league with stadium restrictions.

It happened to me on promotion to the Brazilian Serie A, plunging me into massive debt.

whs.

I took Hayes & Yeading to the Championship circa 2025 I believe it was and had no difficulties. I remember at that point I still had a 6,000 capacity 'stadium' (more of a field than a stadium) :D Finally the board decided to build me a 25,000ish stadium in a new location as they couldn't build on top of the old one due to a planning permission restrictions.

Because so many people play this game in so many different ways, I guess the seating capacity rule is one of those things that has to be left by the wayside...

Forced upgrades for promotion definitely used to be in the game, it was 01/02 I think? Anyway, it happened to me on getting into the SPL, needed an all-seater of 9,000 or something like.

Would love to see it back TBH, and I don't really buy that the career would be wrecked. If a board chooses not to expand and refuse promotion, then you as a manager go to a different club with bigger ambitions. What's the problem with scenario? I always find it a bit silly that you can take a club with a 3000 capacity and 400 seater to League 1 or higher...you shouldn't even get into the football league with that kind of setup

I think the problem is that if your board won't do it in game, and you are on a long-term stick with one club game this would be the worst case scenario...If it was forced on a board it would be ok, but if not it would ruin games, in particular the ones in Challenges Forum.

Getting sacked also ruins long-term sticks with one club does it not? It would be nice to at least have a tick box in the preferences for stadium rules enforced or something along those lines.

The competition requirements (capacity, seated capacity etc.) for the stadiums are still in the game as they have been for a number of years.

Heya Riz!!

They are there? They don't seem to be enforced, at least not that I have ever seen in recent versions. On a side note, it would be nice to have clubs proactively seek a groundshare arrangement if possible when they are going up the divisions but don't have the finances to expand right off or are in the interim of a long building project.

• SI Staff

Yes, the are there and are enforced. There was also a note added to the stadium expansion news item to note if it was a league mandated expansion. If I recall correctly, in the English leagues there is only a league requirement set to the Premier league however these are competition rules really, so I'm not 100% sure as it is not my area. But the rules are definitely being enforced so that clubs take on the necessary expansions when needed (however if there are more requirements it may take multiple years to make the stadium fully match the requirements)

Eastside = Eastside Hockey Manager

Riz made it originally :)

Yes, Eastsiiiiiiiiide!!!! hockey manager, and the roundabout way in which I got hooked into CM/FM and the SI forums :)

The competition requirements (capacity, seated capacity etc.) for the stadiums are still in the game as they have been for a number of years.

You're wrong.

I'm playing my last season on 09 with Billericay Town, my third season in League One and my fifth in the Football League.

Minimum ground criteria for the Football League is a capacity of 4000 with 1000 seats.

My Billericay ground holds 3500 with only 424 seats. A new ground is being built for next season, but my team should never have been allowed in the Football League in the first place.

I've also got Billericay promoted all the way to the Premier League in saves on 06 and 08. On each save, I had the same stadium capacity on entering the Football League. On one of the saves, my capacity on entering the Premier League was 13,500 all seated. Premier League rules state a minimum of 15,000 all seated for entry.

CM01/02 was the last version of the game when they were fully in place.

You're wrong.

I'm playing my last season on 09 with Billericay Town, my third season in League One and my fifth in the Football League.

Minimum ground criteria for the Football League is a capacity of 4000 with 1000 seats.

My Billericay ground holds 3500 with only 424 seats. A new ground is being built for next season, but my team should never have been allowed in the Football League in the first place.

I've also got Billericay promoted all the way to the Premier League in saves on 06 and 08. On each save, I had the same stadium capacity on entering the Football League. On one of the saves, my capacity on entering the Premier League was 13,500 all seated. Premier League rules state a minimum of 15,000 all seated for entry.

I've noticed the same thing in England with Dartford. I spent a season in the PL with a stadium that held 11000, although it was expanded the following year to 15000 (which was its limit, the council blocked it after that).

In Brazil it was immediate, the necessary expansion put me in £3m debt (which was a lot for a club of our size).

My 3000 capacity stadium with Chelmsford was forced to become an all-seater by the FA, and I had to move to Southend's Fossett's Farm while the upgrades went on. Now i'm stuck in a 12500 capacity stadium, with over 200million in the bank, a load of trophies and the best facilities in the world. Wish I could get a new stadium. In the year 2024 and counting...

• SI Staff
You're wrong.

No, I am correct in what I posted above about the enforcement being in place :)

However you are correct also, because for gameplay reasons these rules are not applied in advance of promotions but the game allows the club to get promoted as long as the needed stadium work is put under way. It would be a bit harsh to deny teams promotions in the game due to stadium criteria especially concerning the amount of people who play LLM. It may not be 100% realistic as it is, but the rules are still in place and are enforced after the promotions.

We are looking to improve the stadium expansions/new stadium planning in the long run in future versions, so this may very well be something we could look at then. However even then, this would need to be balanced properly as it would be incredibly frustrating to keep winning a league year after year only to be denied promotion because the club cannot afford a bigger stadium. So in order to implement these rules fully with the promotions possibly prevented, the whole stadium module needs to be expanded to allow for new options such as ground-shares/rented stadiums until the club can afford to expand their own stadium or build a new one.

blueowl are you sure that was from sigames? the split happened in 2004 i swear and fm2005 was the first game so wouldn't that have been the rival game makers?

You have your timelines wrong...

Championship Manager 1 was made by the Collyer brothers. They then hired a few people, made a few more games, and eventually stopped being "Collyer Brothers and people they hire" and founded Sports Interactive, a company.

Up until CM03/04, every Championship Manager game had been made by either the Collyer brothers or Sports Interactive, their company. However, Eidos owned the naming rights and graphical look of the game, so when the split came about SI started making Football Manager, while the rival game makers were created and hired to make Championship Manager 5.

So the old games were our friends at SI's work. Rival Company never existed before the split.

Archived