Earn Your Spot Being An Assistant

I would like to see the possibility of becoming an Assistant Manager before you just head on into the Manager position. I would also like to see this have an effect on your career and how you are seen by other clubs when you are applying for a manager job. For instance if you were an assistant manager at a team and the manager gave you a bad report card then that could effect your chances of becoming a manager when you apply for a job whereas if you get a glowing report then that could give you a better chance of securing a manager position. You could also be asked to improve in certain areas of your management if you are not fully qualified for the job you are applying for. Basically you will have to become proficient in all key areas of management before you get considered for a management job. Would be like doing an apprenticeship. What do you guys think?

I would like to see the possibility of becoming an Assistant Manager before you just head on into the Manager position. I would also like to see this have an effect on your career and how you are seen by other clubs when you are applying for a manager job. For instance if you were an assistant manager at a team and the manager gave you a bad report card then that could effect your chances of becoming a manager when you apply for a job whereas if you get a glowing report then that could give you a better chance of securing a manager position. You could also be asked to improve in certain areas of your management if you are not fully qualified for the job you are applying for. Basically you will have to become proficient in all key areas of management before you get considered for a management job. Would be like doing an apprenticeship. What do you guys think?

I don't think that this would be a good idea. Not many players are willing to be the assistant manager in the game! This is after all Football Manager, not Football Assistant Manager!

Been discussed so many times, and always gets the thumbs down. Can't see it being interesting; any success you get with reserve sor youth, the manager will scoop them up to the first team and take the credit. How great would it be handling dreary press conferences and moving training sliders?

Think about what your suggesting... Ass. managers can't become proficient in all key areas of management, because they don't decide who to buy, how to train, give teamtalks or interact with the board with footballing matters... They just generally suggest things to the manager who then decides what sort of action to take based on his own judgement and possible advice given by others(coaching staff, physios, scouts).

The only way to learn management is to do it... You earn your wings by taking charge of a blue square north/south team or lower in this years fm2010 (you can edit the leagues all the way down) and work your way through the ranks gaining reputation and skills and winning trophies.

Ass. managing is very different from managing... in real life one learns from following others actions, but how would you implement that in fm? Basically you would be just copying AI managers tactics, training and teamtalks.. And there is no one right tactic to win games in FM. You can(and should) find your own tactics and training... that's the salt when it works! :)

• Administrators

Instead of this, how about either:

a) Tutorial mode (though I suppose the demo serves this purpose) which walks you through the game with advisor mode showing you what to do, etc. over a one month game period - it can walk you through all potential aspects of the game. SI could use its links with a club it is linked with/sponsored to get players used to the game, perhaps.

OR:

b) 'Earn your spots' (as a manager) mode: Playing over a 6 month or season period, you fulfil a contract with a club (you could choose any club to do this, as currently) that keeps you contracted for the full period of that 6 or 12 months - no matter how bad you do - so you learn the full aspects of the game, and at the end of it, earn your 'coaching' badges. Depending on your success, you are either released to seek full employment elsewhere.

or c) both?

Currently one might argue that this is already 'included' in the sense that we are given 24 month contracts anyway, the key difference of my suggestion being that you can't get sacked because of an obligation to earn your 'coaching badges'. Previous versions did have a 12 month contract but I don't see why this couldn't be included anyway.

It would be nice if, should you start with a low rep, the game generates news items after 12 months to say you have earnt your coaching badges anyway. If you start unemployed, the game assumes you are learning them anyway and gives it to you after the 12 months. If you get a job in the interim, then the club that appoints you gains 'special dispensation' to hire you until the end of that period, so in a sense, this acts as a lower-league challenge until the end of your first season.

I think this suggestion offers a few gameplay aspects, and stops this idea of becoming an assistant, managing youth/reserve teams because it is largely redundant IMO. Of course it is a bit gimmicky, but then so are other things in the game - after all, "wages" are earnt and never spent, and despite having some impact on the game (job security), IS a bit gimmicky so don't see how this suggestion I've come up with harms the game at all, and if anything, offers solutions that I think most would be happy with.

I agree with the poster to be honest. Some people neglect the fact that as an assistant manager you will gain lots of experience by playing in cups and working with youngsters. I believe it would be a great addition as clubs who are focusing on youth can get managers who have had experience with working with youngsters. Also you can get the young England international team to win the competition. Like Stuart Pearce he is already talked about being the one to replace Capello. Another example is Jose Mourinho, he used to be a translator and now a world class manager. It's like managing a small club and bringing it up but this time there is another option for you to become famous. A different route, whatever you want to call it.

I don't see how any role in which you control the team management aspects of a team rather than the financial and recruitment aspects goes against the spirit of the game - for example, if you were playing as the youth team or reserve team manager of a club, you'd have no control over player recruitment or anything other than the tactical approach and team selection for those games. If they could enable that sort of game mode, it'd also make it possible to play the game as a head coach answering to a general manager or director of football, which would allow the game to even better reflect real life.

I think this is a good idea. Players would not have to use it if they did not want to. It definitely is a realistic way of playing the game as many managers start this way. It would be a different aspect of the game to actually have to care about under 18s and reserve leagues. It would, however, be difficult to have no control over transfers etc which is perhaps where the problem lies.

I think this is a good idea. Players would not have to use it if they did not want to. It definitely is a realistic way of playing the game as many managers start this way. It would be a different aspect of the game to actually have to care about under 18s and reserve leagues. It would, however, be difficult to have no control over transfers etc which is perhaps where the problem lies.

A lot of them start with coaching. Ass Man roles are limited.

And what will you do in terms of gameplay as an assistant?

You can submit your weekly reports to the manager of the first 11 etc. Like how it is now but us as managers. We can also manage the reserves and/or the u19s of clubs. Develop youth and the number of trophies you get will help with your status. It is doable mate, and I for one love the idea.

I would love to start as a coach and make my way to the top,its a great challenge.very realistic

but ofcourse there should be a mod for that,the entire game cannot be based on that

SI should really consider stuff like that,they should implement a mod editor to the game instead of just data editor

Some years ago i was manager for SK brann in bergen, after one season i suddenly was assistent manager for Jamaica or something.. I had to go to all the matches but couldn't do anything.. have others done that too?

Guest markyosullivan

This is something I would like to be an option in future FM games. Would love to give advice to some managers.

Another idea that I think would be good would that you would have to get your UEFA Pro Liecence (which is basically a quizz about management) and once you get that, you can pick which team you want to start with or if you want to start as unemployed.

Guest markyosullivan
Instead of this, how about either:

a) Tutorial mode (though I suppose the demo serves this purpose) which walks you through the game with advisor mode showing you what to do, etc. over a one month game period - it can walk you through all potential aspects of the game. SI could use its links with a club it is linked with/sponsored to get players used to the game, perhaps.

OR:

b) 'Earn your spots' (as a manager) mode: Playing over a 6 month or season period, you fulfil a contract with a club (you could choose any club to do this, as currently) that keeps you contracted for the full period of that 6 or 12 months - no matter how bad you do - so you learn the full aspects of the game, and at the end of it, earn your 'coaching' badges. Depending on your success, you are either released to seek full employment elsewhere.

or c) both?

Currently one might argue that this is already 'included' in the sense that we are given 24 month contracts anyway, the key difference of my suggestion being that you can't get sacked because of an obligation to earn your 'coaching badges'. Previous versions did have a 12 month contract but I don't see why this couldn't be included anyway.

It would be nice if, should you start with a low rep, the game generates news items after 12 months to say you have earnt your coaching badges anyway. If you start unemployed, the game assumes you are learning them anyway and gives it to you after the 12 months. If you get a job in the interim, then the club that appoints you gains 'special dispensation' to hire you until the end of that period, so in a sense, this acts as a lower-league challenge until the end of your first season.

I think this suggestion offers a few gameplay aspects, and stops this idea of becoming an assistant, managing youth/reserve teams because it is largely redundant IMO. Of course it is a bit gimmicky, but then so are other things in the game - after all, "wages" are earnt and never spent, and despite having some impact on the game (job security), IS a bit gimmicky so don't see how this suggestion I've come up with harms the game at all, and if anything, offers solutions that I think most would be happy with.

Basically, this guy's ideas is what I'm talking about.

Bad idea in my book. No point to it. Yes you can control the reserve and youth team, but that'd basically mean managing 1 team with a mix of players returning from injury, old players who you don't need in the first team, and youngsters, and 1 team full of youngsters. Other than that, and maybe doing some PC's, there'd be nothing else to do. You can't buy players, the assistant manager would rarely suggest players to the manager to buy unless he'd seen them numerous times, they'd likely do little scouting etc, so there'd be nothing to do. Waste of time in my opinion.

i know its been slated before but i would love the opportunity to be a chairman as i think there would be lots to do such as securing investment, setting targets for your manager any other financial goings on such as the profit the club is making and of course the ability to sack and hire managers. i understand it aint most peoples cup of tea but i certainly would enjoy it

Archived