FAO Mr Miles Jacobson

Hi Miles.

Why on earth has SI not yet developed a Rugby League Management game, or indeed a Rugby Union & Rugby League dual Management game (capturing both markets)

Surely the GUI could be incorporated from FM, along with lots of the match engine (the old one) and other stuff.

Coming from an RL Background, having many connections in the game, and having pals who professionally play the sport, I know that there is a market for this.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

PS Congrats for Friday - I've been playing since the CM days of Nil Lamptey, Chris Bart Williams, and Darren Eadie being the FM/CM Gods!

I think a NFL management game is more needed, and I hope that SI will make it. A 2d engine would be fine. ofcourse SI want's to improve FM, but a NFL manager game would give them a extra income and SI could hire people to do the NFL game, an just help them. Perhaps the crew that created East side hoykey manager could give it a go. When thinking about it it would be nice to se ESHM back in buissnes :)

I'd only be interested in the rugby one if they included the biggest competitions i.e Super14 & Air NZ NPC

and possibly throw some northern hemisphere competition in there too.

They have Union & League games on console (Although not management) and personally I'm not a fan of them. But a management game of some sorts would be nice...

Maybe I'll do a Union DB for FM10...

ALL BLAAAAACKS!!!!! oh and good luck to the Kiwis against France this weekend :D

Rugby is simply not big enough to warrant a full fledged game when basicly all of SI work on each FM, FMH, and FML game.

A quick google says that in 2007/2008 Rugby was viewed in total 556 million times for the entire season (not 556 million people, but X number watched X number of games to reach 556 million total views).

The 2006 world cup was watched in total 26 billion times (for all games, qualifying, group stages and final... again by X number of people watching X number of games to reach 26 billion total views).

Thats not including the probably even larger figure of every footballing nations league games on TV, added up for the year.

Yeah think rugby supporters would be more interested in the EA game, though it is horrible. And I don't really think many people know all the rules in rugby to be able to play the game. And Don't think the players are high-profile enough for people to want to emulate. Also, while it is entertaining, skilful and determined, it is not a beautiful game.

I'm definitely one who thinks that an American football manager sim would be a great idea. However, it should include both NFL and College football. It shouldn't be that difficult to compile the DB, Americans are crazy about their rankings of players and the whole scouting of high school players! Imagine, for instance, that almost all high school recruits are ranked in a five star sytem. Vey FM like!! The main challenges, besides actually obtaining the rights for NFL and NCAA, is developing a game engine, and of course a working playbook editor! Of course, it would also be required that all the teams have realistic playbooks! But just think of the possibilities! Hirering the right coaches and of course cordinators who should come equipped with their own playbooks! I would be fantastic!

I'm definitely one who thinks that an American football manager sim would be a great idea. However, it should include both NFL and College football. It shouldn't be that difficult to compile the DB, Americans are crazy about their rankings of players and the whole scouting of high school players! Imagine, for instance, that almost all high school recruits are ranked in a five star sytem. Vey FM like!! The main challenges, besides actually obtaining the rights for NFL and NCAA, is developing a game engine, and of course a working playbook editor! Of course, it would also be required that all the teams have realistic playbooks! But just think of the possibilities! Hirering the right coaches and of course cordinators who should come equipped with their own playbooks! I would be fantastic!

Look at the transfer market in Football and players changing clubs in either code of Rugby. Think about how big a part transfers play in FM.

A nice idea, but I'd find it rather boring to play and I don't think I'd be alone on that front.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1673894,00.html

This is just talking about Rugby Union. Rugby League is more or less the National Sport in the Southern Hemisphere.

"Although it's unlikely ever to challenge soccer as the "world game," the interest and excitement the tournament has generated has marked the emergence of rugby's world cup as a major big-money sporting event. It drew an estimated 2.7 million spectators into stadiums, and a TV audience — accumulated over the entire tournament, including Saturday's final — of nearly 4 billion, an increase of nearly 25% over the 2003 event held in Australia. Although that forecasted total is dwarfed by the soccer World Cup, which drew a total TV audience of 30 million people, rugby's tally certainly rivals the Summer Olympics' for second place in global sports TV audiences."

I'm simply saying it would be a welcome addition to SI's portfolio of Sims, AND that it has tremendous potential if done right.

I'd project manage it Miles also ;-)

I love my Super League - but wouldn't dream of wanting to play a management simulation based on it.

I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. No idea how they train. There's not really any players available below the top two divisions. Transfers are VERY rare - players just run out their contract and either sign up again or move on.

PS. might be an idea to give your threads better names. This one is bloody awful.

Archived