Link

mate calm down and shuting me up aint gonna happend, by the way use common sense next time you reply to a post.

Fair enough, I know sarcasm doesn't translate very well in writing;)

Oh and btw you need to improve both your grammer and spelling:thup:

Cheers.

For the second day in a row both grammar and grammer are acceptable spellings.

Wrong again.

http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~brians/errors/grammer.html

Technically, both are correct

This is absolutely true. The -ize ending in words such as 'realize' is actually perfectly acceptable British English. It is indeed the preferred spelling for Oxford University Press, for instance, and many conservative styled institutions or establishments. I believe that the reason for the preference is that '-ize' is actually related to the Greek in Etymology, while '-ise' is related to the French. Thus, a bunch of snobbish language professors at Oxford seemingly decided that it would be preferable to link our language to Ancient Greek rather than French. :D

The key, of course, is consistency. I actually prefer the -ise form, so I will normally always use it. It's 'realise' for me, although my rather annoying Firefox spell check thinks this is wrong. :mad:

Regards,

C.

This is absolutely true. The -ize ending in words such as 'realize' is actually perfectly acceptable British English. It is indeed the preferred spelling for Oxford University Press, for instance, and many conservative styled institutions or establishments. I believe that the reason for the preference is that '-ize' is actually related to the Greek in Etymology, while '-ise' is related to the French. Thus, a bunch of snobbish language professors at Oxford seemingly decided that it would be preferable to link our language to Ancient Greek rather than French. :-D

The key, of course, is consistency. I actually prefer the -ise form, so I will normally always use it. It's 'realise' for me, although my rather annoying Firefox spell check thinks this is wrong. :mad

Regards,

C.

Wahoo!

criticise ;-)

Mwahaha ;)

Let's get this thread back on topic - every other thread seems to be turning into a Spelling Bee at the moment :D

The OP has his answer, so it could probably be closed. Because we're all so sad that we enjoy arguing about spelling, and need help avoiding temptation :D:rolleyes:

Oddly enough the installed British English Dictionary 1.19 I have as add-on to Firefox finds realise perfectly acceptable.

Heeeeeelp me! :eek:

Where can I get it? :D

For some reason, I seem to have an American dictionary as default and I have no idea how to change it! :confused:

C.

P.S. -ise is generally the more accepted form in British English. Just pointing out that some old fashioned institutions use -ize and that it is perfectly acceptable British English.

Heeeeeelp me! :eek:

Where can I get it? :D

For some reason, I seem to have an American dictionary as default and I have no idea how to change it! :confused:

C.

P.S. -ise is generally the more accepted form in British English. Just pointing out that some old fashioned institutions use -ize and that it is perfectly acceptable British English.

You can get it on the Internet:thup:

Archived