Touchline Instructions needed for you?

Do you use Touchline Instructions  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use Touchline Instructions

• Yes i use it alot
    • No i dont use it that much
    • Depends

Use them a lot, and it works.

Been playing as Athletic Club Bilbao, and at the beginning of games I'll set "Get Ball Forward", "Push Higher Up", and "Exploit the Flanks" (sometimes I use "Exploit the Middle" and/or "Hassle Opponents" and/or "Work Ball Into Box" as well). Once I have an established lead, I often use "Retain Possession", "Drop Deeper", "Hassle Opponents" (sometimes using "Clear Down the Flanks"). Sometimes I'll use different ones, but that's pretty much how I use the touchline instructions. I finished 3rd in my half-season, so I guess I'm doing something right...

Managers shout, so touchline instructions are a necessary introduction. What's more is that the actually choices available to you are pretty damn good. I use them frequently and do seem to find them useful.

these are what the touchline instructions do:

Retain Possession Instructs your players to prioritise keeping hold of the ball.

Get Ball Forward Instructs your players to look to get the ball into the attacking third.

Pass Into Space Instructs your players to look to make passes into space.

Pass Into Feet Instructs your players to look to make passes into the feet of the receiver.

Pump Ball Into Box Instructs your players to launch high, long-range passes into the opposition’s penalty area.

Clear Ball To Flanks Instructs your players to look to make their clearances into wider areas to be picked up by attacking players.

Shoot On Sight Instructs your players to shoot when the opportunity arises instead of waiting for a more clear-cut opening.

Work Ball Into Box Instructs your players to work hard for their opening, remaining patient and not forcing the issue.

Exploit The Flanks Instructs your players to look to take full advantage of wing play, perhaps due to an opposition weakness.

Exploit The Middle Instructs your players to look to take full advantage of playing through the middle, perhaps due to an opposition weakness.

Look For Overlap Instructs your players to hold onto the ball and look for an overlapping player in support, most likely a marauding full-back.

Take A Breather Instructs your players to keep hold of the ball but simply take a moment to recover physically before attacking again.

Play Wider Instructs your players to look to stretch the pitch and play wider.

Play Narrower Instructs your players to look to narrow the field and play in the middle of the pitch.

Push Higher Up Instructs your players to play higher up the pitch, starting with the line the defence holds, which should be close to the halfway line if this option is chosen.

Drop Deeper Instructs your players to retreat into their own territory and defend it from there.

Hassle Opponents Instructs your players to give the opposition little time and space on the ball, attempting to force a mistake.

Get Stuck In Instructs your players to be aggressive and strong in the tackle. This may increase the risk of fouls and disciplinary action.

Stay On Feet Instructs your players to stay on their feet when making tackles instead of going to ground.

Play Even Safer If you wish to preserve a lead, selecting this option will instruct your players to play with safety foremost in their attentions.

Take More Risks If you are chasing a game, this option will instruct your players to take whatever risks necessary to get themselves back in it.

Could you expand on this? What do you feel is awful and tacky about it?

You had to go and ask didn't you...

Fwiw, the only reason I don't use it is because I feel my tactics don't quite work as I want. This is probably because my tactics are very specific to my players and my systems often didn't work once I enforced the desired changes. Don't get me wrong, they did what they said they would which is excellent, but it changed my tactic in a negative way.

Doesn't make them awful and tacky, though ;)

Only relates to how you want to play. I can certainly understand why there might be a learning curve in terms of how to best implement them (should you wish to use them) and that badly employed shouts could and should negatively disrupt your tactics, but Tom's critique seems to suggest they are a terrible addition to the game. We've always accepted that some people wouldn't want to use them (hence retaining the classic system), but I'm interested in why somebody feels they shouldn't be in the game in the first place and what he would have replace them.

Oh yeah, I completely disagree with Tom. No way are the shouts any of things he described. I am interested in his response to this?

And you're probably right, if there were some kind of guide (if there is, would someone point me in the direction of it please?) for the shouts then I would probably use them. I just find, at the moment, that I am getting better results and better play from using my own classic tactics and making my own tweaks in game than using the shouts.

It's an awful and tacky addition. Big no-no. :thdn:

Are you crazy? How is it tacky? Managers shout during matches. They shout tactical instructions during matches. Touchlines shouts simply have to be there for a realistic experience.

Millie has released Tactical Theorems '10 (stickied in the tactical forums), which explains everything in detail. He's been part of the support/feedback process from its initial stages and has been producing the guide in parallel to conceptual development and implementation.

It's a far better iteration of the TT&F series than I have ever produced.

Archived