Eurogamer review FM 2010

Quote from Eurogamer: Make no mistake, Football Manager 2010 is the best football management game on the market by some stretch, a game of unrivalled realism, depth and longevity, and the most accessible FM game we've seen for many years. For these reasons it just about scrapes a 9, just like Championship Manager 2010 scraped an 8. If you held off buying FM2009 then I wholeheartedly recommend you go out and buy this. However, while the series remains top dog, the gap between it and its nearest rival is most certainly narrowing.

whoowho!!!! go FM Give me a F give me a M that spellls!!! FM (cheerleader)

For the first time ever, I have deep, creeping doubts about the future of Football Manager. I've owned every SI football management game since Championship Manager 2 and every other management game hasn't even come close to being worthy of comparision. When SI split from Eidos, there was no question as to which game I'd be buying and it's been Football Manager ever since. I did buy the first Championship Manager made by the new team just through curiosity but it was rubbish and I've never once considered it since.

However, this years Football Manager is great but I have to agree with the review where it says that it's the game FM09 should have been. And if Championship Manager is genuinely making the strides they claim it is then SI can't afford to simply polish and hope the game holds up year after year. Next year they will need to introduce some things bordering on revolutionary otherwise there's every chance that the series could stagnate and become nothing more than a past great.

It'd be easy to brush this off and assume that it would never happen but then who honestly would have thought that one day FIFA would genuinely surpass Pro Evolution Soccer? Two years ago I would have laughed in the face of someone who claimed FIFA was a better game and yet now, anyone who denies it is kidding themselves.

I never thought I'd see the day where a football management game not made by SI could be my game of choice and as of now that's still the case. But it's something worth thinking about and SI don't want to rest on their laurels in the way that Konami did post-PES 5.

th 8/10 is I think because the animations ( 500 animations per player ! ) ) in CM are quiet better ( yes, yes accept it !! ) , event if the engine match is bad.

But FM is the best and will make another gap for FM2011.

so Your saying FM is equal to CM , cause CM got a 8 as well:confused: because of the match engine lol

For the first time ever, I have deep, creeping doubts about the future of Football Manager. I've owned every SI football management game since Championship Manager 2 and every other management game hasn't even come close to being worthy of comparision. When SI split from Eidos, there was no question as to which game I'd be buying and it's been Football Manager ever since. I did buy the first Championship Manager made by the new team just through curiosity but it was rubbish and I've never once considered it since.

However, this years Football Manager is great but I have to agree with the review where it says that it's the game FM09 should have been. And if Championship Manager is genuinely making the strides they claim it is then SI can't afford to simply polish and hope the game holds up year after year. Next year they will need to introduce some things bordering on revolutionary otherwise there's every chance that the series could stagnate and become nothing more than a past great.

It'd be easy to brush this off and assume that it would never happen but then who honestly would have thought that one day FIFA would genuinely surpass Pro Evolution Soccer? Two years ago I would have laughed in the face of someone who claimed FIFA was a better game and yet now, anyone who denies it is kidding themselves.

I never thought I'd see the day where a football management game not made by SI could be my game of choice and as of now that's still the case. But it's something worth thinking about and SI don't want to rest on their laurels in the way that Konami did post-PES 5.

Great post mate! Totally agree.

I agree that SI has to make a so big step that any competitor will go again back to 5 years.

SI, for the FM2011, you have to take another dimension for this game to make it a revolution ...

No the 8 of CM is not justified , but I think that Eurogamers has given a 8 just because the player animations are better in CM ( not the engine match !!)

so Your saying FM is equal to CM , cause CM got a 8 as well:confused: because of the match engine lol

totally agree

after FM09 came out people said i want a polished game with hardley any new features now SI have done that but with new features, it not good enough lol what do people want. im happy with it.

Come on guys, if you've played the new champ man it's still a million miles off beating FM! LMA manager is better than that rubbish! The FM 2010 demo re-ignited my passion for the game that i hadn't felt since FM 07. Like the last guy said, what does everyone want? If SI put in loads of new half baked features that weren't properly implemented this forum would have been flooded with complaints on release!

And regarding the match engine on Champ Man, graphics shouldnt count for anything when you see some of the errors that go on there!

So i totally disagree with dirtyprettymagipe im afraid!

After playing CM10 I don't think it deserves 8, but it's not rubbish either.

As for claims that FM11 will have to be revolutionary, I don't agree. FM10 is very very good, there is nothing to revolutionize about it. Before this year's release I thought that a UI overhaul was needed ( and it was done), for next year's release I think a major 3D overhaul is needed and I'm sure team SI knows it. As for the game itself, there are certain areas that need to be improved but I don't expect a revolution.

In the meantime, let's enjoy this year's game excellence :)

It doesn't mean that FM is the best that it will remain !

What fans want is more and more close to real life of a manager.

So SI has improved a lot animations, but for the future I would like to see the player more closer in order to see each player performance without being obliged to see the stats ( this is revolution ! ) . I would like SI to improve a lot the training system in a complete original way ( this is revolution ). Si has to integrate more human faults ( more attention, concentration impact, more training impact ) like in real life in the engine match ( this is a revolution ! ). To make a scouting more detailed and linked to reality ( this is revolution ! )

That's it !!! I hope FM forever...

As for claims that FM11 will have to be revolutionary, I don't agree. FM10 is very very good, there is nothing to revolutionize about it. Before this year's release I thought that a UI overhaul was needed ( and it was done), for next year's release I think a major 3D overhaul is needed and I'm sure team SI knows it. As for the game itself, there are certain areas that need to be improved but I don't expect a revolution.

after FM09 came out people said i want a polished game with hardley any new features now SI have done that but with new features, it not good enough lol what do people want. im happy with it.

The area of the game in need of the biggest overhaul is the media/player/team interaction. For years now there's been the tiniest of differences with very little genuine improvement in this area. If the next game can far better replicate relationships with the media, your players and also make team talks something that's actually worthwhile then Football Manager will go onto a whole new level.

Nothing comes close to FM's depth, especially when it comes to the football side of things, but it's shallow in terms of 'real' personality. I want more than to simply select generic terms and see which of three different responses I get from my players. I want more than to go into press conferences and selecting the same rather obvious answers over and over again.

I'm not being critical of FM10, I think it's great. But I do think that it is the game FM09 should have been and regardless of whether or not Championship Manager is anywhere near good enough just yet, the fact that it is still making strides is something that needs noting.

The area of the game in need of the biggest overhaul is the media/player/team interaction. For years now there's been the tiniest of differences with very little genuine improvement in this area. If the next game can far better replicate relationships with the media, your players and also make team talks something that's actually worthwhile then Football Manager will go onto a whole new level.

Nothing comes close to FM's depth, especially when it comes to the football side of things, but it's shallow in terms of 'real' personality. I want more than to simply select generic terms and see which of three different responses I get from my players. I want more than to go into press conferences and selecting the same rather obvious answers over and over again.

I'm not being critical of FM10, I think it's great. But I do think that it is the game FM09 should have been and regardless of whether or not Championship Manager is anywhere near good enough just yet, the fact that it is still making strides is something that needs noting.

i understand about the media/player/team interaction like you always wanted to ask a player to stay now or please sign a new contract or give them reasons you want them to sign, or stay at your club so yeh this area can make the game a lot better if improved

I've been playing the FM/CM series since mid 90s. This year was the first time i bought CM. After playing for 2 hours i had enough. Yes the animations of the 3D are better but thats it. Match engine very poor worse then FM09 game play total rubbish.

After playing the demo of FM10 i'm pretty impressed but it still has its faults but they are more superficial such as skin and game interface which has to much going on.

However i think we all have to realise the strides that continue to be made to an ever evolving game. All i know the the chances of me leaving my pc between the steam download and the kick off of the North London derby at 12.45 on Saturday afternoon are slim to none.

CM10 isn't making the strides they are claiming. It added maybe half a dozen big new features, half of which were fundamentally broken and the others were utterly useless.

Well, this is indeed shocking news! I thought the developers of CM10 had a lot of time in their hands to improve this series?

Yes more than enough for group actions, but not at all enough to judge an individual player, which needs quiet better animations and more closer view.

I think the stick SI get for the 3D animations is a little bit harsh. They are good. Not brilliant. But more than enough as a representation of the action on the field of play.

Some people are going way over the top by worrying CM could possibly usurp FM. Granted, it could perhaps have been a worry last year, but anyone who has played the '10 versions of both games can't possibly think this is a real possibility.

CM10' is utterly dreadful. I bought the digital copy when they had the 'pay what you want' offer, and at £0.01 I was ripped off! They are running before they can walk with the 3D animations by layering slightly nicer animations over a fundamentally broken match engine. FM has done things correct, this year SI have produced the best match engine ever seen (not perfect, but the best so far) and when the animations are advanced in the future it means we will have the perfect balance.

Last year we could worry about a narrowing gap as FM wasn't great and CM were making confident noises. But this year should allay fears, not exascerbate them, FM has produced a very, very good game; CM is a very, very bad game.

Had a quick search and couldnt find anything so here it is;

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/football-manager-2010-review

It starts with:

With Championship Manager 2010 having sent a warning shot across Sports Interactive's bow, the pressure has been on for the legendary developer to deliver

Thats wierd coz I have not read about anyone really satisfied with CM10, the player reviews I've seen has pretty much said it was shaite.

If i know whats going on, and i can see with full Detail in the match in 3D then thats fine for me¬!!!! e.g like see if the ball hits post clear or the leg moving to kick the ball

i watch 3D because it shows more detail ect in the game like when score a far shot it looks great in 3D then it does in 2D

Yes more than enough for group actions, but not at all enough to judge an individual player, which needs quiet better animations and more closer view.

SI can't get close enough to differentiate the different players due to licensing issues. Apparently, EA etal have agreements with the players to show their likenesses, and animate their idiocyncracies. SI would have to pay for those rights, haven't, and likely never will...

3D is wonderful IMO. The animations are not that shabby and the matches (especially in FM2010) seem to be the most authentic of any footballing game. The fact SI continue to evolve it and prove they do with each passing release strengthens my faith in them.

By 2011 the animations will probably decimate the ones that CM has.

Eurogamer are quite close to bsg who make cm10 and that's why in my opinion they gave the 8 out of 10 mark, but if truth be known the only best high light out of cm10 was the 3d animations, they were very well detailed.

The 3d is better on cm10 compared to fm10 but we all know the difference between animations is quite dramatic, but that's where it ends and fm takes over for realism and game play.

FM10 deserves the 9 and is and always be the best out there because of there long term knowledge and experience in the field of football.

Will cm ever get better and close to fm one day, maybe and in a way us public need to see a challenge as it keeps SI on there toes and we get a brilliant game to play out of it :)

• SI Staff

It's interesting to see so many people talking about CM's animations in these threads.

I agree with those that say they have done a good job animation wise (I won't comment about the rest though).

Which is maybe why one of the animators who worked on CM09 (which became CM10) now works at Sports Interactive, and was responsible for all the new animations in FM10. The future for us is pretty bright on that score ;)

It's interesting to see so many people talking about CM's animations in these threads.

I agree with those that say they have done a good job animation wise (I won't comment about the rest though).

Which is maybe why one of the animators who worked on CM09 (which became CM10) now works at Sports Interactive, and was responsible for all the new animations in FM10. The future for us is pretty bright on that score ;)

Wow Miles thats a bit of a shock and one which you have kept quiet about, but things look good in the SI towers then now having the best animation guys which made cm well kinda half decent.

A transfer coup one might say, Mr Jacobson.

Nice going. As far as the future is concerned, don't try and come up with too many major things at once for the next one. Normally the best thing to do would be to blow the opposition out of the water but clearly the coding of FM is very complex and its often taken a couple of goes to get major new features working properly. Clearly a lot of people won't be happy with another version thats mostly polishing so I'm not saying do that but don't feel pressured to do too much too quickly, not that you would, but we can be rather an demanding bunch.

3D is wonderful IMO. The animations are not that shabby and the matches (especially in FM2010) seem to be the most authentic of any footballing game. The fact SI continue to evolve it and prove they do with each passing release strengthens my faith in them.

By 2011 the animations will probably decimate the ones that CM has.

Not sure about that tbh. Even though CM is almost shocking in every regard it had a two year development cycle which included 500 animations for each player. I'm not certain SI will be able to improve that part of the game so dramatically within half of the time span. Seeing as SI add about 100 or so new animations in each new version of the 3D engine. The animations are the only redeeming feature of CM. I'm guessing CM have allocated alot more resources than SI in that department as well.

• SI Staff
At least we now know why FM is so full of backroom staff being poached, SI do it too :D

We didn't poach at all. We advertised the job, he applied, and had already left before he applied.

Not sure about that tbh. Even though CM is almost shocking in every regard it had a two year development cycle which included 500 animations for each player. I'm not certain SI will be able to improve that part of the game so dramatically within half of the time span. Seeing as SI add about 100 or so new animations in each new version of the 3D engine. The animations are the only redeeming feature of CM. I'm guessing CM have allocated alot more resources than SI in that department as well.

Mark started with us in April if I recall correctly. There are well over 100 new animations in FM10 (that was the amount at the time of the initial announcement) and most of the previous animations were re-done. In about 5 months.

I'm not saying we'll have over 500 animations in FM11 - but I do think that animations have already improved massively, and the match viewer team are incredibly ambitious with what is planned for the long term. It's my job to make sure that we don't bite off more than we can chew for each version in that regard.

We didn't poach at all. We advertised the job, he applied, and had already left before he applied.

Mark started with us in April if I recall correctly. There are well over 100 new animations in FM10 (that was the amount at the time of the initial announcement) and most of the previous animations were re-done. In about 5 months.

I'm not saying we'll have over 500 animations in FM11 - but I do think that animations have already improved massively, and the match viewer team are incredibly ambitious with what is planned for the long term. It's my job to make sure that we don't bite off more than we can chew for each version in that regard.

Was he the guy who asked for the mirroring machine thingy?

cool great news

Fair review. Yeah there are a few annoyances here and there with FM10 but the Demo alone is superb and I am totally devoted to FM once more.

Agree with the interaction side of things though - press conferences are still as dull as dishwater and my players STILL "don't seem to be listening" when they are praised for a good performance, yet they kick up a fuss when you say nothing??? :confused:

These guys are full of it, half the time they dont even play the game and when they do its only for about 1 hour. I wouldnt read too much into this review. I just have to laugh at the people comparing CM to FM, their is no contest, so why even bother trying to find positives and negatives of each game.

Archived