Some questions about Windows 7

Hi all,

Ive been playing around with the idea of getting Windows 7 premium, especially after seeing it for £58 in Tesco earlier! Im tempted to get it and install it before FM comes out, but before that i have a few questions.

1) Are there any inherent benefits to it? I mean does it run quicker? Is it less of a system hog than Vista, leaving me more resources for FM?

2) Installation, is it easy? As i understand, i only have to upgrade rather than do a clean install but if i do upgrade, do i need to back everything up?

Please feel free to answer, it may help me make up my mind :thup:. Also, any additional help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Simon

:)

-edit- Im not up on computers really, so keeping it simple would be nice :D

I would say that if you aren't hampered by the shortcomings of Vista, then there really isn't much need for you to be buying W7 (assuming you run Vista, not XP). Reading different reviews, the general concensus seems to be that W7 is nothing more than a product upgrade of Vista, ironing out the flaws that have been highlighted by us, the users. Don't think it's a massive step forward, certainly not a revelatory leap, but if you have the money to spend, it can't be a bad thing to switch to the newest product either.

And so, to summarise, it can't hurt to buy it, but you won't lose out by leaving it on the shelf.

Simon mate have a look at this. It compares Windows 7 to XP and Vista hope this makes you decide to buy it. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/versions.aspx

heres a help guide from the Windows website for Window 7 users. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help

There's also a forum at http://www.sevenforums.com/ You'll have to register first before you can post but its free to do this.

Simon you should go for win 7 pro as that gives you a xp compatability option on it which will allow you run the os in xp mode and that can be a benefit to older software and games.

Dear Wandy in PC Zone keeps banging on about how this XP mode is NOT for gamers - it's intended more for businesses. I'll have to dig out the old issue where he discusses it, but he certainly mentions it in this month's issue.

Simon you should go for win 7 pro as that gives you a xp compatability option on it which will allow you run the os in xp mode and that can be a benefit to older software and games.

Worth also noting that this mode is not available in the Home Premium version but the Professional which is not £58.

Windows 7 is much quicker and I'm running the demo with no problems and also FM08

Archived