Future Idea

Being manager of Shrewsbury on the FM10 demo, having just attended a press conference I was asked about my relationship with Dario Gradi, who is listed as the caretaker boss of Crewe.

I think this is something that should be implemented for the game, as an unemploymed manager to be approached in a caretaker capacity, and if you do well, be given the option of a long-term contract

Yeah good idea, dont think this would be too hard to implement into the game, although if you really want to get the job full-time you might have to sort out all the training etc which would not be worth the hassle if you didnt get the job!

A caretaker manager is always a persona within the club, though.

Not always, Joe Kinnear wasn't already involved with Toon was he? Or Glen Roeder? Not sure though, those two just jump out. Juande Ramos at Madrid is another I think, sure theres a fair few.

True, BobMUFC, but then Kinnear and Roeder were still established managers. The idea that an unknown could be offered such a post is unrealistic. Maybe one could be offered a caretaker position, with no managerial experience, but only if they are former professionals. That would be more feasible; a personality from the world of football, maybe a former international, dipping their toe into the waters of management for the first time by taking a caretaker role at a smaller club.

Joe Kinnier established? Fair enough he managed Luton etc but come on everyone was questioning the decision and laughing when he signed with Newcastle.

Joe Kinnear did plenty a while back! To be fair to you though mate, i think Wimbledon had basically gone to dung by the time you were about 10! And it was a bit of a bizarre appointment at Newcastle!

I had actually forgotten the fact that most caretakers are from within the club (!) but some arent, i dont think you (as an FM manager) should be able to be a caretaker when you start unemployed but if you have played some seasons and are maybe applying mid-season for a job i think it would be a possible option for a club to take you on til the end of the season then evaulate again? Normally it seems to be a one-year contract at least in the game?

I was offered a short term contract to save Blackburn from relegation (08 or 09) which I thought was a great touch. It's a similar type of thing here. I've only ever seen it once though, so it should perhaps be a bit more common.

Archived