Alan Shearer (FM10)

Loving the FM10 demo and so cannot wait till Friday!!!

Just noticed that Alan Shearer is in the game as a manager, and love how they added his playing career stats!!

One thing i noticed that was incorrect was that Shearer was Assistant Manager in April rather then Manager!....though well done SI!!

shearer.th.png

Loving the FM10 demo and so cannot wait till Friday!!!

Just noticed that Alan Shearer is in the game as a manager, and love how they added his playing career stats!!

One thing i noticed that was incorrect was that Shearer was Assistant Manager in April rather then Manager!....though well done SI!!

shearer.th.png

He would still be at Newcastle if it was my decision :mad:

I looked for him in the demo but couldnt find him.

Yeah, i reckon Shearer was only there to try and motivate players, and for Ashley to try and get the fans back on his side, however it didn't work. I take the "though i do think they made a great partnership " was sarcasm:confused:

Yeah, i reckon Shearer was only there to try and motivate players, and for Ashley to try and get the fans back on his side, however it didn't work. I take the "though i do think they made a great partnership " was sarcasm:confused:

Dont think it was sarcasm. They have both been good friends for years, since their Southampton days actually. They clearly enjoyed working with each other.

Well i am a Sunderland fan but i just don't see what the big deal is with him taking the role is, i know he was a legend - also would you rather have Hughton at the moment or Shearer?

Been to two newcastle games this season, and i think they have looked good - why change?

well i would maybe like to see Hughton in charge till the end of the season but he is definitely not a long term manager for us...I seriously would love Shearer and Dowie back...even on Sky Sports today that he hasnt given up hope

Well i am a Sunderland fan but i just don't see what the big deal is with him taking the role is, i know he was a legend - also would you rather have Hughton at the moment or Shearer?

Been to two newcastle games this season, and i think they have looked good - why change?

We probably shouldnt be talking about it in here but, Shearer is the only one who will get time to turn it around. Newcastle have needed stability for years now, ever since Sir Bobby! Shearer would give us that. If it works out, brilliant. If it doesnt, then the next man in wont have Shearer's shadow hanging over him.

FWIW, I dont want Hughton, he is a clown. Fat Ash only wants him because he can walk all over him and Hughton will still say yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir, sell who you want Mikey etc etc.

Shearer wasn't in the FM09 database because at the time he was a TV pundit and said he had no intention of going into management.

There are a lot of famous ex-players who weren't in the FM09 database - I'd like it if they were available for management/staff positions if sufficiently tempted by their favourite clubs. Similarly in FM09 a lot of world class managers were hanging around unemployed forever - I hope this has been addressed for FM10.

Well, Shearer nearly signed for Manchester United in 1996!

* GASP * How can you say that? He beat Middlesbrough after bringing on Obafemi Martins! What a tactical move!!!

Look how at home he looks.

alan_shearer1_1379076c.jpg

If you going to comment about Martins coming on, then at least include all the facts! He was injured and out the previous few games, of he cant play 100% from the start, then why start him.

He was shockingly bad when managing Newcastle , The least said about that spell the better :p

Totally agree, I think he looked way out of his depth and some tactical decisions baffled me, shame as I wanted them to stay up.

Anyway, nice touch for the game, he'll probably end up getting the Newcastle job on it

newcastle fans this may upset you but you need to look at shearer as the rubbish manager not the great player i mean you guys worshipped him as a player fair enough then he wins 1 in 8 games as a manager and gets you relegated and you worship him still as a manager just like you did with keegan

I just don't get why Newcastle fans want him so bad as manager, he shows no managerial know-how whatsoever, the end of last season proved that, it's just like dear old Gunny at Norwich, legend as a player, the worst manager to grace the football league bar none (apart from Roy Keane, lol)

Anyway I'll shut up before I get told off for going OT ;~)

EDIT: baker.simon, he doens't look "at home" there, but totally lost, bored and clueless of what to do!

newcastle fans this may upset you but you need to look at shearer as the rubbish manager not the great player i mean you guys worshipped him as a player fair enough then he wins 1 in 8 games as a manager and gets you relegated and you worship him still as a manager just like you did with keegan

Shearer didn't get Newcastle relegated; he merely contributed. The groundwork had already been done.

While being a great player has no link to being a great manager, people will always incorrectly connect the two.

And most people are sh*te in the first few months of any new job! Ask my boss! Give Shearer (and all rookie managers) a break.

So you're happy to have crap manager after crap manager as long as he's passionate? Oh my brother is a geordie ST holder and he doesn't understand the need for Shearer to be manager, no different to Keegan both totally tactically inept and clueless as managers,

Oh and Mr passionate Keegan isn't too bothered about the club at the moment is he? If he had got his way with his bonkers payout demands, you'd be in administration right now.

Originally Posted by SparkoVanBastan didn't get Newcastle relegated; he merely contributed. The groundwork had already been done.

While being a great player has no link to being a great manager, people will always incorrectly connect the two.

And most people are sh*te in the first few months of any new job! Ask my boss! Give Shearer (and all rookie managers) a break.

I never said anything about rookie managers being bad as a matter of fact i thought they should of given ince and southgate a chance (maybe not adams) ;) but i understand your point about shearer not getting newcastle relegated any way relegating seems to be great for them and i hope they come back up (all of this from a chelsea fan who as you know dont have the best judgement in managers) :)

I think Shearer should have been made manager at the start of the season. Lets face it Newcastle would being doing well in that league with Zippo the clown in charge, but if Shearer had been there from the start it would have been a nice way for him to ease in gently and get quite a few wins under his belt.

Oh and Mr passionate Keegan isn't too bothered about the club at the moment is he? If he had got his way with his bonkers payout demands, you'd be in administration right now.

I'm sure he wanted to hit Ashley in the wallet and not really the club.

I never said anything about rookie managers being bad as a matter of fact i thought they should of given ince and southgate a chance (maybe not adams) ;) but i understand your point about shearer not getting newcastle relegated any way relegating seems to be great for them and i hope they come back up (all of this from a chelsea fan who as you know dont have the best judgement in managers) :)

Rookie managers are always going to have a hard time. The desire in a results driven business to get experience over youth will always cause problems.

We are unlikely to see the Ferguson/Gradi style longevity again. Though for my money Gradi wasn't that good and got to hide behind the 'Crewe are a selling club' banner for far too long.

Ince has potential. Southgate has never convinced me he truely knew what he was doing.

Adams, like all recovering alcoholics, just isn't cut out for football management. I appreciate that this is a sweeping generalisation but they are too introspective and question their decisions too often. That's the downside of the 12 step programme!

The problem is that the big name ex-players try to be rookie managers in the premership where there is no place to hide. Really they need to go the lower league route and learn how to be a manager first. Thats why i take my hat off to steve staunton (ignore Ireland), Nigel Clough starting near the bottom of the pile.

Very few great players ever go on to become great managers the only exceptions would be Franz Beckenbauer and The god like Johan Cruyff. I don't think Shearer will become a great manager and I honestly believe he would be the wrong appointment for Newcastle. And before Geordies start saying Keegan was great player and manager he was not a great manager at all in fact far from it!!

A bit off topic but when I see or hear of Iain Dowie I always think of the BBC'svcoverage of Euro2008, when Dowied was part of the team. Gary Lineker was presenting MOTD live in the studio and in the background outside on the balcony (there was a clear glass screen) was Iain Dowie on the phone and you could just see him in the background. Then Gary Lineker could obviously see him through a reflection or in the corner of his eye and says live ' Is that Dowie!!!!!' It was so funny lol!!! :D

Just had to share that for some reason! :)

Wasn't it Keegan who got Newcastle promoted into the Premier League from Division 2 in straight seasons? He can't be that bad.

We were on the verge of getting relegated to div 3 (league 1), he kept us up last day of the season then got us to the prem in the next season.

So you're happy to have crap manager after crap manager as long as he's passionate? Oh my brother is a geordie ST holder and he doesn't understand the need for Shearer to be manager, no different to Keegan both totally tactically inept and clueless as managers,

Actually, its common practice to claim for more than you know you'll ever get. When i had an accident a few years back i was advised by my solicitor to claim for £10,000, even though he said i should only really get £2,500-£3,000, which i did.

I'm sure he wanted to hit Ashley in the wallet and not really the club.

Quite right Michael. In fact we could take it a step further and say it was never really about the money! If it was, then Keegan would have settled out of court with Ashley offering double what he eventually got anyway. The only difference is the strings attached to Ashleys offer which was a secrecy agreement meaning Keegan would be liable if he talked about events. Keegan wanted the whole story in the open, hence he carried on with the tribunal and uncovered the whole truth about whats been going on, and he won £2 million.

Further to that, the award of £1.5 million costs which was eventually awarded to Keegan aswell. With the statement that none of Ashleys claims had any fact behind them and were purely done to blacken Keegans name. It also came out that Ashley has deliberately lied to the fans, the press and the FA throughout.

Guest markyosullivan

Alan Shearer did quite well as the Gaffer of Newcastle. I would like to see him back as Manager because he wasn't really give much of a chance.. didn't even get to buy some players!

Archived