Offside error

Though I see the game is almost perfect, the offside problem is still existing ; a couple of years ago Fifa changed the rule and the offside decision is to be made only when the striker touches the ball, which means that if the striker is in an offside position and his colleague passes the ball to him and a defender intercepts, or the ball went to another direction or the striker leaves it to another player; the ref. should play on.

In the FM10 demo still any pass forward while having a striker in an offside position is count as an offside, which is no more realistic.

What do you think?

You are correct in this but at the moment IRL the offside rule is absolute rubbish and the referees vary so much from decision to decision let alone from game to game which proves that it is difficult in real life to under the new rules to judge a player offside, so I think FM is right to show the offside using the old rule which to be honest in my opinion never needed altering by FIFA anyway (Maybe a girlie was put in charge of FIFA and couldn't understand the rule at the time ;-)).

Though I see the game is almost perfect, the offside problem is still existing ; a couple of years ago Fifa changed the rule and the offside decision is to be made only when the striker touches the ball, which means that if the striker is in an offside position and his colleague passes the ball to him and a defender intercepts, or the ball went to another direction or the striker leaves it to another player; the ref. should play on.

In the FM10 demo still any pass forward while having a striker in an offside position is count as an offside, which is no more realistic.

What do you think?

I may be out of date here, but isn't a player offside if he is deemed to be interfering with play, regardless of touching the ball, for example by blocking the view of the keeper?

What do you think?

No, FIFA didn't change Law 11.

They DID say that the assistant referee should wait if more than one attacker is making a play on the ball, and one of them isn't in the offside position. But the text didn't change.

What I find a little unrealistic is that the decision is given when the pass is made, rather than once the direction of the ball is perceived. IRL, assistants need a second to see where the ball is headed before they raise the flag.

Even so, the referee and assistant referee movements in this game seem to be a little better than in '09.

-Jorge

I may be out of date here, but isn't a player offside if he is deemed to be interfering with play, regardless of touching the ball, for example by blocking the view of the keeper?

That's interfering with an opponent, and yes, he is involved in active play and deemed to be offside.

-Jorge

Both of you are correct .. but this is not the case in FM .. Line-man flags up when a player passes and another player is in an offside position even the offside player is not in the direction of the ball ( which means no doubts of interference ).

Sure, but there have been many occasions on FM2010 when this isn't the case, and it still happens anyway, on a frequent basis ie. several times during a game.

Archived