Never picked a top league team ?

I was just wondering how many other people there are out there who has never picked a premiership team (Or other top league team of there chosen nation) to start there career at. I ask because I never have, in roughly the last eleven years I have been playing this game on and off never started up there.

Now Some times when I have started a new career I have been really tempted to start as Man U or Arsenal just because the beautiful game is right there and they already have the super stars for me to watch and work with, That said I love FM for it's realism (Yes I know FM is not meant to represent real life blah blah) and so due to having no experience in the world of football I like nothing more than to start at the bottom and work my way up, The highest I ever remember starting was at Sheffield Wednesday in League one.

I totally understand why people start with the likes of Man U ect I just wondered if anyone had a similar mind frame to me when playing the game.

It usually works with me starting a Newcastle save to learn the game as i know the players etc etc. I gues that will have a bit more longevity to it this year :D. After that though, its sunday league rep/unemployed with a large database and a few countries/leagues loaded then see where that takes me.

I occasionally have a couple of dabs at a top team, but I don't get as much enjoyment out of the game as I do when I start with some little club and the fight to bring them from obscurity.

My longest save on FM09 is as AD Fafe, coming from a tiny club in the Portuguese Third Division we have finally created a Top 4 in Portugal. The Portuguese Liga Sagres has three clear clubs at the top in Sporting, Benfica & Porto. I am now in my 20th season in charge, we have won the title once, and have been in the top 4 for the past 6 years running, it is not easy, but it is a lot of fun with a small club.

I always start with the richest club in the known universe (Man City) - but after I get that out of my system the lure of unemployed or lower leagues draws me in. I'm seriously thinking of Notts County this year...League Two to Premiership in how many years? Who knows...?

I always start with the richest club in the known universe (Man City) - but after I get that out of my system the lure of unemployed or lower leagues draws me in. I'm seriously thinking of Notts County this year...League Two to Premiership in how many years? Who knows...?

3 :D

(10 thing)

I've never completed a season with a club from a top tier. I think the only go i've started with a club in the top tier is with Koln of the Bundesliga, but i abandoned that. Then again, i say i've never completed a season with a club from a top tier, i never managed to complete a season on 09 at club level due to never settling into a go, and i only completed seasons on two goes on 08 (my first FM). Those clubs were Forfar Athletic (Scottish tier 4) and Molde FK (Norwegian tier 2).

I tend to like the dream of bringing a small club to the top, building my own team over a number of seasons and achieving success that way. Then i realise it takes me a month to complete a season, and it's kind of in vein. So on 10 i will start a go in a top tier, just not with one of the top clubs in that top tier. I wouldn't manage any team in European competition as qualifying is all part of the success in my opinion.

While i haven't managed a top tier club, i should add that i have managed the Italy national team which counts i suppose. I wanted to have a chance of winning the World Cup, so reduced my options to a handful of clubs. Unfortunately i had to settle with 3rd place after losing against Germany in the semis, but using the likes of Pirlo, De Rossi, Del Piero, Chiellini, Toni, G Rossi, Gilardino, Montelivo, Cassano etc. was fun.

Typically I start at Man U when a new game comes out, but then get frustrated cause I don't want to buy players to replace my favourite players already in the squad, even if they are better.

Then I go to Altrincham who I use to manage in a old management game, might have been Premier Manager where you HAD to start in the Conference league and even selling tickets at 1 pound for the terraces and 2 pounds for the seats still only got two men and a dog turn up.

I have next to no interest in the Premiership in the real world and have nearly as little interest starting there in FM. It may be fun to have a go at one of the smaller clubs in the Premier such as Hull, Stoke or Burnley, but I have much more interest in starting unemployed, so it's likely that's where I'll go.

I have more often than not found my most enjoyment comes from unemployed games in the past, but I have varied the level at which I start in different editions of FM. IN 07 I started as a very inexperienced manager and found a job with Skarp in Norway. I managed them for many seasons and had a lot of fun. FM08 seemed to pass me by in that I never really got into a save, and I changed my routine for 09. In that game I made an Eastern European manager with professional experience (so not me but role-playing) and went unemployed. The first job I got was Koper in Slovenia. I gave them a fair amount of success and then moved on to Dinamo Kiev.

Koper is the highest I have ever started, but I sort of feel as if I wasn't really testing myself as much as I could. It was fun but the experience level probably made things easier.

I see no reason to start as any of the better know clubs in any country. That would just bore me sick to be honest. I mean, if it were Man Utd I'd be wanting to lose every game.

The best team I've ever started with is Nottingham Forest because I support them.

Think Notts Forest is the best team I've managed as well since the CM days when they were in L1, don't think I did very well though so haven't started with a league team for quite a few FMs now let alone a prem team and have always started with a BSN/S team, this year I'm going for even lower with the editor :D

Well, I almost always start with Manchester United FC because that is the club I support. I can't bear to take any other team and watch my beloved United lose even in FM!!! To, winning and winning with Manchester United has to be the best feeling I have ever had playing FM! If I take another team and it beats Man United, I would be feeling bad about it!!

Every year, when the game is relesed, I always start out in the danish premier division, with Brondby. The one and only club, for me.:thup:

But I must say that, I also have a save with LLM. Because I´ve learned to love the challange. It´s such a pleasure to take a small team to the top. And maybe, just maybe, have the chance to be hired by my favorite team. So far it´s just a dream, but someday.....

Yeah I'm much the same as dafuge. I usually pick something around Championship level for the demo, then pick a "should dominate" team in a top league with a European campaign for a season to come to grips with the match engine, tactics, team talks, training, etc - e.g., Celtic, Ajax, Hajduk, etc.

Once I've come to grips with things, then I start a career game, usually at York City or a BSN/BSS side.

Although I like starting at lower league teams, and do so nine times out of ten, starting in the Premier League is fun. I like the money you get to spend, and the challenge of sustained success. It is also more entertaining when you play with a friend (on seperate PCs) and come up with a game of 'who can win most in X amount of time' - then it becomes all about sustainable success including buying the right people and developing the youngsters. If sustainable success is the goal, then managing in the Prem isn't as easy as some people say. Sure, it's a piece of .... to win the league in the first season but to carry on this success such as breaking the league titles record as Chelsea/Arsenal adds a more difficult challenge. :D

yeah doing big clubs is Entertaining at 1st, but it gets very boring after a while i found that in 09 when i was managing Liverpool won the premiership 1st season then it got boring buy the best players, don't put effort in management just skip days and expect to win matches its ,very repetitive.

Well, I almost always start with Manchester United FC because that is the club I support. I can't bear to take any other team and watch my beloved United lose even in FM!!! To, winning and winning with Manchester United has to be the best feeling I have ever had playing FM! If I take another team and it beats Man United, I would be feeling bad about it!!

i know what you mean mate.

I always start with man utd ( the club i support ) and then i like to move down the leagues for a challenge.

i usually have a hearts and ajax save running but i have never managed a premier league team until burnley in this demo since fm 2005. i usually start in eastern europe but the new editor will open a lot of exciting new avenues for african football.

Archived