FM2010 and Press Conferences

I'm really beginning to think that the press conferences is going to be deal breaker for me.

This is my inbox after searching for "press conference"

fm2010pc.jpg

It's before and after EVERY match! They still feel tacked on and rather pointless and I'm in the BSS for flips sake! No way would anyone be interested in that many press conferences. They need to be seriously turned down.

I know your assman can be told to attend them automatically but he always seems to upset someone (except a guy I fined who after my assman took exception to him being uphappy and that cleared it right up) so I don't like to leave it to him.

• Administrators

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I like Press Conferences.

I do though see some people's point about why it might be 'pointless'/'boring', etc. - and I used to let my Assistant do it in FM 09.

After seeing this thread:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=155124

My mind changed completely, and I answer the questions, put in additional comments so to create some interesting news items. Gives it a bit more character, I think. It would be nice if the game could pick up on things like foul language or perhaps develop semantic interpretations (which one day, I hope will come. Search engines like Wolfram Alpha are developing this kind of technology).

Press Conferences are much better now than 2009, but more variety and questions is always going to make things more interesting. And I do like the effect of Press Conferences, as it can influence players in games (badly or otherwise).

One thing I'd like to suggest - I pulled a Micky Adams in my demo game, practising fining players for once after abysmal performances. It does indeed work (to an extent), but after I did it more than once I seemed to destroy the morale in the side. It would be nice - if, by Press Conferences, you could apologise for ****ing off your team; or say that they need to perform, etc. collectively, things like that. There doesn't seem to be anything that you can say about the team playing as a team (asides from chances in their next match) and yet lots on whether its justified that a particular player is playing badly.

Press Conferences are not perfect but I think its got enough scope and influence on the game and can be entertaining if you use the additional comments. In a Network game - this is great I would imagine, as you've got other humans reading your comments. On your own though, it is a different matter, but its not always a bad thing to try and make the game seem more real and immersive even if its just to humour yourself. You might find it sad, but I personally see it giving it an extra dimension to make it less 'boring'.

I think they are just as bad as they were on the previous game they just repeat themselves so much and I don't really feel i'm able to say what i want to say i would rather they had of scrapped it and used the time to work on the training aspect of the game which i believe needs a higher priority

Training should get the Tactical Wizard Treatment, and then I could see it getting used.

yeah i agree. I really liked the training schedule on champ man with the set blocks and overloading passing etc. I made some sweet training schedules that really worked well and i knew exactly what my players were training on rather than just knowing that they are doing 14 notches of attacking

Would it really make it less boring if there was no actual effect of the new wording?

Yeah because we wouldn't get the same question. It would look different and more refreshed yet it wouldn't be beyond the limits of having to code new effects.

To be honest press conferences mostly just don't work.

1. They're boring.

2. The effects are seemingly random.

3. My player is annoyed at what I said in the press conference. Great. What specifically annoyed him? I'll never know. There's no feedback.

It's a nonsense feature really.

im stuck at the press conference. i dont know where to go. its not letting me continue....

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/5192/pressconference.png

You are playing it on a netbook. Unfortunately, you won't see all of the screen w/o a new (as of yet not created) skin that adjusts the info to fit on the netbook. Until then, you will have to hit a bunch of keys to get through and send your asst. to handle all future press conferences or connect your netbook to an external monitor.

One thing I'd like to suggest - I pulled a Micky Adams in my demo game, practising fining players for once after abysmal performances. It does indeed work (to an extent), but after I did it more than once I seemed to destroy the morale in the side. It would be nice - if, by Press Conferences, you could apologise for ****ing off your team; or say that they need to perform, etc. collectively, things like that. There doesn't seem to be anything that you can say about the team playing as a team (asides from chances in their next match) and yet lots on whether its justified that a particular player is playing badly.

No manager would apologise to a player in a press conference; it would be done in private. Manager/player private interaction needs to be developed a lot. My hunch is this will be high on the list for FM11 development. I hope so anyway.

Archived