2050, "Fanboy's" and how FM10 gave nicknames to Postmen.

It is the year 2050. I have just had a delivery of my "Manchester City 30 Consequtive League Titles" Commemorative dinner plate from Woodford Potteries. Delivery was made by the Royal Postal Service, very smartly dressed men in Navy blue tunics. Well, I thought I would go for the Premium delivery service - the Niche market left for the long time rebranded Post Service, as was, since Virgin Mail took over standard delivery services in 2015. My grandson asked me who the man was who delivered the package, my wife laughed and said that it was a "Fanboy". Why are the Royal Postmen called "Fanboy"s?, the child asked...

I explained that it was a nickname. ...... Back in 2009 a very popular "Computer game" called FM2010 was bought by a lot of people through the internet for delivery by the old Post Service. The day delivery should have been made the Post Service were on strike and all the deliveries arrived 4 days late. This infuriated all the poor people who had to wait for their game and it was speculated that the true reason for the strike was so that the Postal workers, at the time the majority were men obsessed with football, could take what was sometimes referred to as a "sickie" and play the game which they would have bought from a shop, instead of going to work. This led directly to Postmen being disrespected in the street and heckled as "Fanboys" (a derogatory term sometimes used for people who played that game). This also indirectly led to the beginning of the demise of the Postal Service as it was.

LOL

To think Man City could win 30 league titles in a row and still not be able to spell consecutive. :p

Great post, has brought a smile to an otherwise dreary day. :D

I will confess, my spelling is not the best at 7.06 AM, or at any other time come to that. Living 100 yards from the local LDO I may just shout "fanboy!" at a Postman next weekend just to make this a self fullfilling proficy. Anyone else wish to try this? LOL

• 3 years later...
Well, Man City will NEVER win the league title! :D

Thought I would bump this just as a bit of pre-FM14 release "fun". This thread was started during a genuine release day Postal strike threat by the way.

How times have changed, relatively few Postal deliveries now days, with digital downloading really taking over....and City have won the League!

:-)

It is the year 2050. I have just had a delivery of my "Manchester City 30 Consequtive League Titles" Commemorative dinner plate from Woodford Potteries. Delivery was made by the Royal Postal Service, very smartly dressed men in Navy blue tunics. Well, I thought I would go for the Premium delivery service - the Niche market left for the long time rebranded Post Service, as was, since Virgin Mail took over standard delivery services in 2015. My grandson asked me who the man was who delivered the package, my wife laughed and said that it was a "Fanboy". Why are the Royal Postmen called "Fanboy"s?, the child asked...

I explained that it was a nickname. ...... Back in 2009 a very popular "Computer game" called FM2010 was bought by a lot of people through the internet for delivery by the old Post Service. The day delivery should have been made the Post Service were on strike and all the deliveries arrived 4 days late. This infuriated all the poor people who had to wait for their game and it was speculated that the true reason for the strike was so that the Postal workers, at the time the majority were men obsessed with football, could take what was sometimes referred to as a "sickie" and play the game which they would have bought from a shop, instead of going to work. This led directly to Postmen being disrespected in the street and heckled as "Fanboys" (a derogatory term sometimes used for people who played that game). This also indirectly led to the beginning of the demise of the Postal Service as it was.

LOL

Don't worry about people striking for there livelihoods as long as you get your computer game on time. Good chance it will happen again this year aswel so go digital.

Don't worry about people striking for there livelihoods as long as you get your computer game on time. Good chance it will happen again this year aswel so go digital.

On that more serious note I never did mail-order but would never have gone digital, preferred going to the shop on release day morning, I was quite happy with that but pre-2011 twice in 3 years PC World refused to sell me the game on release day (once claiming it was "not released yet"....when it actually was (I asked them to check but they refused)! and once claiming "we have had the delivery but haven't had time to put them on the shelves yet"!!!!!! My local Game store helped me out both times but they are not "local" enough to be convenient.

Consequently digital download became by far the best option for me.

On that more serious note I never did mail-order but would never have gone digital, preferred going to the shop on release day morning, I was quite happy with that but pre-2011 twice in 3 years PC World refused to sell me the game on release day (once claiming it was "not released yet"....when it actually was (I asked them to check but they refused)! and once claiming "we have had the delivery but haven't had time to put them on the shelves yet"!!!!!! My local Game store helped me out both times but they are not "local" enough to be convenient.

Consequently digital download became by far the best option for me.

I used to always go and buy the game from either game or hmv prior to about FM11 then decided to mail order through game online but last year the postman came late and I was panicking thinking the game wasn't going to turn up so this year it's digital for 1st time ever.

Archived