Future demo idea

Hi. One thing that has always annoyed me with the demos is that playing with just one league selected is so 1995 :p

How about next year you give us an option where we could pay say £2 to have a Quickstart generated with our prefered settings, so we can continue the game after the full game is released. For me it's totally out of the question to continue my demo quickstart after I buy the full game coz of minimal database, only one league selected and so on.

This makes me not play the demo like a FM game, but rather just buy some old geesers instead of promising yougsters.

So next year include the Quickstarts like you already do. But have a little "webshop" her at www.sigames.com where we can pay a small fee to have a quickstart with our own chosen leagues activated, desired db size and so on.

I'm sure not only will you make a few extra quid, but I also thing players will appreciate the offer.

What do you think?

For me 3 weeks is a long time to wait for the game after I start the demo. Can't wait until æphysical distribution is a thing of the past. So you can buy games a day or 2 after they go gold instead of 3-4 weeks after they go gold.

I guess they have to charge alittlebit. I don't know how many people downloading and trying the demos. But if its free I imagine they'll get 100k requests for generated games the first day the demo is out, and thats gonna take quite abit of manpower and computers to generate.

How come? It will still be locked to 6 months of play, and you will not be able to generate new games for yourself.

The key making it a demo is the 6 months lock anyway. Also I think regeneration of players is disabled in the demo.

So even if some crack group manage to remove the 6 month limit the demo is still pretty useless as there will be no regens. so after 5 seasons there are alot less players in the gameworld as lots of players have retired, but no new ones generated.

For me saying to pay £2 or what ever would just be wrong in my eyes- I'm folking out money for the real game not anything for the Demo no way ho say. Dont see what they could not allow us to play more leagues and bigger database but dont forget it is a demo - aimed at wetting our appetite. :)

Agreed. Not only would very few people pay to play a demo, but it would do considerable damage to the FM brand among gaming circles outside of the core FM fanbase. News travels fast, I hear a lot of crackpot stories about games I will never even know the release year of let alone play, and yet when they make unwise moves they still come in for torrents of abuse from the internet.

I'd like the idea of customisable demo experiences, but not ones I have to pay for.

To be honest I think people have a missconception about a small database and one league. Yes you do not get the amount of players and the quantity of regens but to say the game is not playable after a few years and no regens is just incorrect. Also the people that have lots of leagues and large database then surely they are not speaking from experience when saying that one league and small data base is unplayable or very bad. :)

• SI Staff

It's a demo which is intended to give you a little taster of what the full game is like.

Personally I think it's a bit too generous giving 6 months in-game play and quite a few different leagues to choose from. ;)

It's a demo which is intended to give you a little taster of what the full game is like.

Personally I think it's a bit too generous giving 6 months in-game play and quite a few different leagues to choose from. ;)

Yeah I can't think of too many other games that give us this opportunity! :)

Ter how about doing it in 2015 and call it a 10 year annivesary with the birth of football manager name, hint hint wink wink nudge nudge :D

Yeah I can't think of too many other games that give us this opportunity! :)

I do remember the game "Freelancer" gave you access to about 10% (felt more like 20%) of the storyline and 20% of the full map ;) ...but that was a one-off.

To be honest I think people have a missconception about a small database and one league. Yes you do not get the amount of players and the quantity of regens but to say the game is not playable after 5 years is just incorrect. Also the people that have lots of leagues and large database then surely they are not speaking from experience when saying that one league and small data base is unplayable or very bad. :)

I never said it was unplayable, just that I would never ever continue a game with just one league selected. I often like to start with a small Norwegian team and then take new jobs in other countries as I'm offered new jobs. Make a career out of it.

But Yes, if the player regens are disabled the game would get unplayable after some seasons as there simply wouldn't be enough players in the games as old players retire and no new ones are generated. But the demo is not supposed to be played more than 6 months.

I remember I read about a earlier version of FM where some crackgroup removed the time limit of the demo and you could play as many seasons as you liked. But since no new players was generated after 20 seasons there would not be a single player left in the game, except a few 40+ year old goalkeepers. But thats not really an issue as the demo isn't ment to be played for more than 6 months gametime.

Can you imagine the download size of the demo if you could have Large DB's and all possible leagues!?! It'd be ridiculously big and also would probably make it easier to pirate. So I dont think this is a good idea...I get where your coming from, but tbh it dosen't take long to play the first 6 months again once the game comes out and you can start with your own preferences.

I don't think that this would be a good idea. Very few people would be even willing to pay to play a demo game!

Demo would still be free, and supplied with single league quickstarts, just like today. All I'm asking for is for them to offer those willing to pay a chance to get their own personolized quickstart made.

If you don't want to buy a customized quickstart you don't have to and the demo will be 100% free for you. But I could still pay £2 and get my personal QS file mailed from SI.

I never said it was unplayable, just that I would never ever continue a game with just one league selected. I often like to start with a small Norwegian team and then take new jobs in other countries as I'm offered new jobs. Make a career out of it.

But Yes, if the player regens are disabled the game would get unplayable after some seasons as there simply wouldn't be enough players in the games as old players retire and no new ones are generated. But the demo is not supposed to be played more than 6 months.

I remember I read about a earlier version of FM where some crackgroup removed the time limit of the demo and you could play as many seasons as you liked. But since no new players was generated after 20 seasons there would not be a single player left in the game, except a few 40+ year old goalkeepers. But thats not really an issue as the demo isn't ment to be played for more than 6 months gametime.

Yeah fair point, my point was not aimed at you but more a general view from some people but I read your post and then I did write my post based on what you said to a certain degree so sory if it did sound like I was basing it on you. :)

Can you imagine the download size of the demo if you could have Large DB's and all possible leagues!?! It'd be ridiculously big and also would probably make it easier to pirate. So I dont think this is a good idea...I get where your coming from, but tbh it dosen't take long to play the first 6 months again once the game comes out and you can start with your own preferences.

The demo you download would be excatly like it is today, supplied for free with the quickstarts we get today. Again FREE, no paying for the demo.

But the option to buy a new personolized Quickstart made for YOU and ONLY you that SI either email to you or provide a download link you have to be logged in to get. This is just a extra option you can choose to use or not use if you don't mind the small default QS supplied with the demo.

I guess I must have been very unclear of that since so many misunderstand, but personally I think it's totally understandable from the original post. But then again, I wrote the shi... :)

As for taking too long to play the 6 months??? You can play a full season in a single saturday with the full game 30+ leagues selected from 17 countries (based on FM09) I'm doing my best to make the demogame last until oct 30th, but I'll be done way before then even if I try not to.

Good one.

They will create a webshop interface where you put in your desired settings, then a computer will generate the quickstart and mail you the link or the file (depending on size). Do you also think a SI employee is sitting there reading through all forum registrations and writing each and every signup confirmation mail? :p

As for the SI employees, they'll have to do whatever brings in more money to the company (speaking generally, not about this idea)

Yes lets pay SI so that we can play the Demo of a game we are wondering if we should buy or not.

Infact thats such a brilliant idea... you know what we should do next?

You know those food tasting stations in supermarkets where they give you a wee slice of cheese or a tiny plastic cup of wine/juice etc...

We should pay them money.. to taste the product.. to see if we like it.

*claps*

It would be nice if you could choose to expand your demo's saved game database once the full game is out, and add in the extra leagues. I'm really enjoying my demo game at the moment but I'm a bit sad about the fact when the full game is out im going to have to restart it :(

Sounds like you've just described the "full game"?
For me saying to pay £2 or what ever would just be wrong in my eyes- I'm folking out money for the real game not anything for the Demo no way ho say. Dont see what they could not allow us to play more leagues and bigger database but dont forget it is a demo - aimed at wetting our appetite. :)
It's a demonstration of the game.
the demo is just that. a demo, if you want more leagues, a bigger database size just want for the full release. the demo is getting used to the new features not a "start the game early" thing.
I don't think that this would be a good idea. Very few people would be even willing to pay to play a demo game!
No-one is going to pay for a demo. I certainly wouldn't anyway.

It'd be nice if it was a whole season, but I suppose 6 months is ok

My point was that it dosen't take long to play 6 months in game...so playing those 6 months again when you get the full game wont really hurt, rather the continuing your demo.
I admire the way you assume the staff Sports Interactive would LOVE to personally create demos for everyone.
Yes lets pay SI so that we can play the Demo of a game we are wondering if we should buy or not.

Infact thats such a brilliant idea... you know what we should do next?

You know those food tasting stations in supermarkets where they give you a wee slice of cheese or a tiny plastic cup of wine/juice etc...

We should pay them money.. to taste the product.. to see if we like it.

*claps*

All of these :thup:

A better way of doing it would be to give you an option to "expand" the demo once you have the full game. I'd imagine that this would be harder to code than it sounds though.

So currently, its a demonstration of the game.

LOL :D

Reading from the top, I got more and more amazed how many ways people were able to misunderstand the first post!

Anyway, don't know if it would be a good idea seen from SI's point of view, but I would certainly pay £2 tonight if I could get a head start on my main save!

Oh, and a lot of people don't treat the demo as a demo... they allready know they will be buying the game on release day, so just play it to get a head start on knowing the new features, tactics, ME or whatever...

Oh, and a lot of people don't treat the demo as a demo... they allready know they will be buying the game on release day, so just play it to get a head start on knowing the new features, tactics, ME or whatever...

What you have just described there, is the purpose of a demo! :D

Archived