When will Steam download the game?

Does anyone know if the entirety of the download will be made available at midnight on release day or, as someone else suggested, the client will download the large bulk of the files in advance of release with just the last few percent released at the appropriate time?

Well, if a lot of users download the game from Steam on the first day of release, there are bound to have crashes on the Steam website!!

Well, if a lot of users download the game from Steam on the first day of release, there are bound to have crashes on the Steam website!!

Nah, Steam deal with much bigger releases than Football Manager and always cope fine. They're as close as things get to bullet proof.

Thanks to the other answers provided above.

Nope, pre loads and a massive series of servers ensure that games dont crash steam when they are released.

FM09 was 2GB in size, Empire Total War was 15GB in size... and it had probably as much if not more people buying from steam and it didnt crash (infact i dont even recall if ETW pre loaded, because i remember waiting 3-4 hours for it to download before i could play it).

I remember now that FM09 did have a pre load, because you could access the editor before the game was playable, i spent the few days before release looking at various players and teams stats.

Archived