FM10 on the new iMac - good match?

I´m in need of a new computer since my on year old macbook does not perform well enough on FM 09... I want everything ro run smooth as hell with FM 10..

I´m on the verge of purchasing the new iMac model, 21.5" with the standard specs.

# 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

# 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB

# 500GB Serial ATA Drive

# NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

The only questionmark is the Graphics card... The proccessor and memory is plenty enough, but how about the graphics card? Anyone updated?

I want to be able to run FM10 on "high" graphic level without any inconvinience (probably spelled wrong), should I be able to do that with this computer? What do you say my FM-mac brothers?

The specs are a bit low but if you really want a mac you will just have to suck it up. If you dont care about the OS then just buy a windows based machine with a proper monitor, a much faster quad core CPU and a real graphics card for the same amount of money.

Due to the fact that the FMs 3d engine is really simple even a simple nvidia 9400 should be enough. Your main bottleneck will be your processor. At least try and overclock it. Hopefully the hard drive is not one of those slow notebook type drives.

The specs are a bit low but if you really want a mac you will just have to suck it up. If you dont care about the OS then just buy a windows based machine with a proper monitor, a much faster quad core CPU and a real graphics card for the same amount of money.

Due to the fact that the FMs 3d engine is really simple even a simple nvidia 9400 should be enough. Your main bottleneck will be your processor. At least try and overclock it. Hopefully the hard drive is not one of those slow notebook type drives.

I´m not a computer expert, but I´m sure the specs I mentioned are plenty enough for FM. I currently run FM10 demo on a macbook with a older processor with just 2.1 GHz, and the game runs decent... So I think you´re out of line in regards of the Imac processor.

I'm not sure how much experience you have with Macs, but that machine will run FM 2010 very, very well. The overclocking suggestion is a risible one, and one that I don't believe is even possible on an iMac.

So far, my observation is that FM10 is significantly better optimized than FM09 -- and FM09 performs fine on my MacBook Air (which has a 1.86 C2D processor) if I'm not pushing it with other programs.

It all depends of what you call acceptable speed. If you are not picky then even a low end machine is great. I just dont see the point in buying an expensive machine with such low specifications. I have some experience with macs and they arent any faster than windows machines on a similar hardware so i fail to see why people are prepared to pay more for far far less.

anyway...its going to work okayish. Still a better machine than what many people play fm on.

I just dont see the point in buying an expensive machine with such low specifications. I have some experience with macs and they arent any faster than windows machines on a similar hardware so i fail to see why people are prepared to pay more for far far less.

OK, the Mac vs Windows PC thing is a whole other question that we should *not* get into... ;)

The OP simply asked whether the new iMac would run FM10 smoothly. From my experience running FM09 and the FM10 demo on a far lower specced machine (albeit one that's better than his existing MacBook), I would say, very emphatically, yes. It'll work quite a bit better than just "okayish" -- and to suggest that you need to overclock a 3.06GHz dual core processor to run FM (whether in Windows or OS X) to an "acceptable" speed is little short of ludicrous.

OK, the Mac vs Windows PC thing is a whole other question that we should *not* get into... ;)

The OP simply asked whether the new iMac would run FM10 smoothly. From my experience running FM09 and the FM10 demo on a far lower specced machine (albeit one that's better than his existing MacBook), I would say, very emphatically, yes. It'll work quite a bit better than just "okayish" -- and to suggest that you need to overclock a 3.06GHz dual core processor to run FM (whether in Windows or OS X) to an "acceptable" speed is little short of ludicrous.

Thank yoy guys for the answers. Now I just have to come up with the money.... :p

Some you are just more patient i guess :). To me it still feels slow on an overclocked quad core. His machine should be twice as slow as mine when it comes to the CPU and to me personally that would mean running with even fewer leagues on a smaller database. Im hoping fm10 is indeed faster but its really hard to judge from a demo since it uses such a small amount of players compared to a realistic setup.

But if he wants a mac there isnt exactly a ton of options available. I would take the hackintosh approach and build my own, but thats not exactly an option for vast majority of users :)

BTW: mac vs pc thing is kinda fun. I hear they are going to upgrade their one button mouse to a no button mouse ;)

Archived