Confused

I tie myself up in knots when it comes to Football Manager. I thought that the new tactics creator would help but it hasn't because although that helps me to set up a tactics it doesn't stop me from getting confused and indecisive about the game. Here's a typical one of my save files on FM.

1# Pick Burnley and set them up to play how Owen Coyle says they do in real life ie 4-5-1 attacking with high creativity, fluid philosophy, roaming and short passing with Alexander playing as the anchor man, 2 attacking inside forwards, one attacking all-round striker, McCann as box to box and Elliott playing as an advanced attacking playmaker in the middle.

2# Get cold feet about playing so open with (attribute wise) one of the worst teams in the league and change to counter attacking (leaving everything else the same).

3# Lose.

4# Abandon Coyle's tactics and set up defensively with rigid philosophy, direct passing, stick to position, more disicplined and two holding midfielders with the logic that I'm relegation fodder so that's how I ought to play.

5# Lose.

6# Adapt pragmatic tactic of balanced and all defaults.

7# Lose.

8# Realise that in real life Burnley aren't as gung ho as Coyle makes out and develop a compromise tactic eg balanced, disciplined, stick to positions but with everything else on default and keeping the attacking players in the team.

9# Lose.

10# Re-load game and repeat.

Can anyone give me any advice because this is really starting to get to me now. I haven't been successful on this game since FM07.

A team like Burnley is expected to lose, but how many games were you trying each tactic before changing to something else? As it's best to use the same one for a number of games to allow players time to adjust to a new tactic.

Also, you should probably go over to the tactics forum for more advice.

Archived