External hard drives question

• 3 weeks later...
so does anyone know if you can install games/programs on a external hard drive and then play them on a laptop?

Aye, you can. I've played FM on external HD and laptop. Did this to avoid losing my game should my laptop go west. This backfired 2 months ago however when my dog knocked the HD off the table and wiped everything. The game will be linked though - you can't plug your HD into another computer, put the disk in and load from that. At least I don't think so..

I'm going to save FM2010 on a pen drive when I get it..

Aye, you can. I've played FM on external HD and laptop. Did this to avoid losing my game should my laptop go west. This backfired 2 months ago however when my dog knocked the HD off the table and wiped everything. The game will be linked though - you can't plug your HD into another computer, put the disk in and load from that. At least I don't think so..

I'm going to save FM2010 on a pen drive when I get it..

So if i put fm2010 onto a external hard drive and put the disc into te laptop it would play the game?

If so how does the game handle?

Also could you please update this thread on how you get on with fm and the external hard drive?

well if its connected via USB then yes it will be a LOT slower doing reads and writes to the external HD

Why not instead install and play on your laptop but every so often make a back-up e.g. take a copy of the relevant save files on to the external HD say once a week etc

If it's an external USB drive that runs at 7200RPM (like a Western Digital MyBook), I think it should read/load about as fast as an internal, 5400RPM laptop drive. If you're talking about running off of one of those USB-powered, 5400RPM Passport drives, for example, you'll likely notice slower speeds.

If you've got FireWire it can be quicker to an external drive than USB, but I know with Windows FireWire connected drives sometimes don't wake up if the computer goes into sleep mode.

Archived