What is up with the graphical options?

What is it with this awful softening of textures that this game does with everything maxed? Just try it on 'high' detail, then set it on 'medium' or 'low' and turn anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering on through your graphics card driver settings. The latter will look crisp clear (although lacking proper shadows on 'low') while the former is a horrific looking blurry mess. Why aren't these kind of 'effects' optional and customizable like in pretty much every other 3D application ever produced?

Furthermore, where and how can I set vertical sync on? Why is there only one resolution and refresh rate setting for windowed mode? The refresh rate doesn't match with the native on my monitor which causes issues with vertical sync and animations rendered by other applications such as tooltips or anti-virus notifications. Is there any way at all to manually set this?

You may think a lot of things, but this is in no way related to what I was asking is it?

Yes it could be, card and driver versions can have a large impact on how graphics are displayed. What may be a "mess" with your card and driver may look fine on another card.

Yes it could be, card and driver versions can have a large impact on how graphics are displayed. What may be a "mess" with your card and driver may look fine on another card.

Then it's an issue with how the game is programmed and not with my card. Which is perfectly capable of running this game on any settings because this game to my knowledge does not use any lighting or shading models or effects that x850xt would be incapable of displaying properly.

Look, I do know how these things work. I don't need people suggesting me to buy a new graphics card. I'm not going to buy another graphics card because I simply do not need one. There are a few questions in my original post though that I'd be interested to hear the answers to.

What is it with this awful softening of textures that this game does with everything maxed? Just try it on 'high' detail, then set it on 'medium' or 'low' and turn anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering on through your graphics card driver settings. The latter will look crisp clear (although lacking proper shadows on 'low') while the former is a horrific looking blurry mess. Why aren't these kind of 'effects' optional and customizable like in pretty much every other 3D application ever produced?

Furthermore, where and how can I set vertical sync on? Why is there only one resolution and refresh rate setting for windowed mode? The refresh rate doesn't match with the native on my monitor which causes issues with vertical sync and animations rendered by other applications such as tooltips or anti-virus notifications. Is there any way at all to manually set this?

The 3d engine to the game is to the basic settings requirements of what is expected in the game to run and trying to max out something which really doesn't need maxing out is only going to make things no better just the same.

You wont improve the 3d look by sprucing up your graphics card or the graphic card settings, these animations are not quake 3.

There is no vertical sync on option and the only way to improve the 3d pitch, will be a smoother eliment and not a graphic one and this is done by updating the graphic drivers or like someone said replacing the card but yours is fine for this game.

I just tested this, and I agree with the original poster. Having graphics on Medium detail and antialiasing on does look better than High detail (when the game does antialiasing). However, medium detail with AA also is a bit slower (on my system, at least).

So, in my case where I always have AA on in graphics card settings, using High detail in FM actually gives me better performance than Medium detail - but it also is a bit uglier. I'll stay with High detail though, the difference in appearance isn't too distracting.

It would be interesting to hear what the developers say about this.

That's the thing Mikke the game has basic graphics and the only way to improve them is a graphics designer adding more to it, so then our graphic cards can do the rest :)
But surely having details on 'High' should look better than 'Medium' detail? In this case medium looks better. In another thread it was mentioned that the only difference between 'High' and 'Medium' is that 'High' does fullscreen antialiasing.
low detail = circles for shadows

medium detail = dynamic shadows from players

high detail = dynamic shadows from players with fullscreen antialiasing

So, the problem is that the quality of antialiasing the game does is worse than what the graphic card can do.

Ah, so SI's understanding of antialiasing is to soften everything into a blur.

So, in my case where I always have AA on in graphics card settings, using High detail in FM actually gives me better performance than Medium detail - but it also is a bit uglier. I'll stay with High detail though, the difference in appearance isn't too distracting.
Wait, so you're saying it runs better with SI's antialiasing on in addition to having it on for your graphics card as well? That's weird. It's certainly the opposite for me.

Ah' date=' so SI's understanding of antialiasing is to soften everything into a blur.

Wait, so you're saying it runs better with SI's antialiasing on in addition to having it on for your graphics card as well? That's weird. It's certainly the opposite for me.[/quote']I just updated to the latest version of Catalyst driver, and now it looks like **** in High and Medium both. Previously antialiasing wasn't working at all when using High, that's why it was faster. Well now AA always works and match engine runs better, but it just looks BAD.

EDIT: After reinstalling older Catalyst, and then reinstalling the newest one again, everything seems fine.

And once more, the same awful softening that the original poster mentioned. Card is ATI Radeon HD3650, latest Catalyst drivers from ATI website. I'm getting tired of this second-rate graphics programming, SI.

Archived