FAO SI GAMES: Adding yourself as manager in FM10.

Ok, there are a couple of issues that really annoy me and which I hoped would be fixed with this new game. Firstly, why can you not set your place of birth? I mean all the major cities in the game are listed in the FM database so presumably it wouldn't be too dificult to implement and would add a little more realism. Secondly, why can you only have one favourite club? If you look at other managers on the game they have several. I for example would have my favourite clubs as Athletic and Ajax and would play a career game that would lead me to taking charge of my two favourite clubs. And lastly the thing which annoys me most is that I cannot play as a Basque manager! I am Basque yet I cannot set my second nationality as Basque. I find it amusing that the wizard enable you to be practically any nationality in the world, ie Panama or Turks and Cacos but not Basque! Please will The developers look at fixing these issues when the first patch comes out. Thanks SI in advance. Xabi Orbaiz

Believe me there are already a few people who want this and also the ability to add more nationalitys... they could do it in the same way they do when you select "load all players from..." so you can choose many...

Not sure if they will put it in a patch i would think next year is more likely :(

If you couldn't list your nationality as English, I'm sure it would annoy you! I play as Bilbao so I want all the Basque players to know Im Basque. Unfortunately it isn't listed as Pays Basque...players have Basque as a second nationality so why can't I.

If you couldn't list your nationality as English, I'm sure it would annoy you! I play as Bilbao so I want all the Basque players to know Im Basque. Unfortunately it isn't listed as Pays Basque...players have Basque as a second nationality so why can't I.

Wouldn't bother me I couldn't put myself as English, it's only a game.

I agree that you should be able to have the option of being Basque.

I imagine it is just something that has been overlooked, rather than deliberately left out.

I also agree that we are too limited in what we can do, when creating our manager profile.

What I would love to see, especially with the excellent new editor; is the ability to create your manager pre-game, in the editor, and then select him to represent yourself in the game at start up.

I feel it would add so much more depth, if you were able to do things such as adding an imaginary playing career for yourself, appearances and goals, whether you played (and how many times) for your country, defining your personality, selecting your birth place, favourite players and staff etc.

In theory, it is possible to do exactly that, in regards creating a new manager, the problem is simply that we have no way to use that manager as 'ourself' when creating a new game.

Does the Basque country have its own league like in England? Does it have its own national team that competes in FIFA-sanctioned tournaments like the Euro and the World Cup?

No need to be like that man. If you were Basque then maybe you would understand. We do have our own national team, they are called Athletic Bilbao. All I think is that when you select your nationality as Spanish or French there should be an option to make yourself Basque too. The issues of place of birth and favourite clubs should also be addressed.

I know my place of birth is not in the editor, seriously how many people have heard of Feilding, New Zealand.

As for "Basque" it is clear to me that all the nationalities are available to choose are actually nationalities, Basque does not have a nation, therefore is not a nationality. Does it actually need to be made clearer?

If he wants to put his nationality as Basque and the nationality already exists in the database, then I don't really see what reason anyone else has to object.

At last. Somebody understands. As for if you were born in a village then fair enough but it would still be a good option to be able to put a place of birth. Can someone from SI please comment on this thread?

At last. Somebody understands. As for if you were born in a village then fair enough but it would still be a good option to be able to put a place of birth. Can someone from SI please comment on this thread?

I really dont want to get political here, and i dint mean to offend. But is the Basque region an internationally recognised country? By that i mean, its not really a nationality. Im English, born in Newcastle, but it doesnt make my second nationality Geordie? Like i say, im not meaning to offend :)

Yeah I like the idea of being able to add more to your profile than single selections, like favoured teams, languages, nationalities etc.

I think with the current amount of gamers bringing the subject up, we shouldn't be too far away from a fully-customisable manager profile.

*here's hoping*

I really dont want to get political here, and i dint mean to offend. But is the Basque region an internationally recognised country? By that i mean, its not really a nationality. Im English, born in Newcastle, but it doesnt make my second nationality Geordie? Like i say, im not meaning to offend :)

Ok. The Basque Country is a part of Spain like Wales and Scotland is a part of the UK. I am Spanish and Basque like you would be British then English. However, we consider ourselves Basque first and Spanish second. We have our own language (which its closest known language is Georgian not Spanish), our own flag and our own parliment, that governs our region. There is an official Basque footall team but they are not affiliated with FIFA or UEFA, because Spanish and French laws impose their respective national teams as only representatives in official competitions; therefore, the Basque team are allowed to play just friendly matches. Athletic Bilbao play only Basque players in its team, so therefore the nationality is listed on the database however, when adding manager we dont get this option.

Hope this clears it up.

Ok. The Basque Country is a part of Spain like Wales and Scotland is a part of the UK. I am Spanish and Basque like you would be British then English. However, we consider ourselves Basque first and Spanish second. We have our own language (which its closest known language is Georgian not Spanish), our own flag and our own parliment, that governs our region. There is an official Basque footall team but they are not affiliated with FIFA or UEFA, because Spanish and French laws impose their respective national teams as only representatives in official competitions; therefore, the Basque team are allowed to play just friendly matches. Athletic Bilbao play only Basque players in its team, so therefore the nationality is listed on the database however, when adding manager we dont get this option.

Hope this clears it up.

Ahh excellent :thup:. Now i see where your coming from and think it should be an option :)

1) Basque probably should be a 'second' nationality - it cant be a first nationality because 'technically' you have to be spanish or french 'first'

2) Dont compare wales, england or scotland to basque because all three are internationally recognised nations with their own international football team - basque isnt (for political reasons that I dont care to go into)

3) Basque is in a category of its own along with kurds, cornish (dont ask) and other ethnic groups who claim to have a right to be independant, but for a multitude of different reasons they dont have true independance from the local national government.

4) People from said national groups are highly offended by anyone who doesnt understand their particular political issues and logically points out that they arent 'technically' a nation.

5) The reason why PLAYERS have basque as a nationality is so that Bilbao can accurately pick 'allowed' players so as to keep it as close to realtity as possible.

6) The clubs rules do not stipulate that managers have to be from the basque region (they have had german, english and serbian managers) - therefore, it is not required to have basque as a nationality for human managers as it does not affect the game as they can manage the team without this.

I think ive covered it all...

I agree with Xabi. I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be able to select Basque as a second nationality. Basques are very proud of their heritage, and numerous sports teams will only ever have Basques competiting for them - Bilbao as Xabi mentioned and Barakaldo are two in football. Euskaltel - Euskadi are the same in cycling.

I know my place of birth is not in the editor, seriously how many people have heard of Feilding, New Zealand.

As for "Basque" it is clear to me that all the nationalities are available to choose are actually nationalities, Basque does not have a nation, therefore is not a nationality. Does it actually need to be made clearer?

I've heard of it...

Where I grew up we didn't have a hospital so I was born in Auckland which is a 4hr drive south through

the bush...

I wouldn't want people to think I was a "JAFA"

I've brought this up in a separate thread, but I wish a player would be able to set their languages- or at least their second language. When I create myself as an American, I am fluent in both English (no problem here) and Spanish (IRL I only know a few sentences and random words in Spanish). I can speak conversational German, so I would like to set my languages as English and German (Basic).

As far as the Basque issue: no, it is not a "real" nationality and probably shouldn't be selectable as a first nationality. However, it IS a second nationality in the game (Athletic Club Bilbao, anyone?) and, therefore, I think it should be selectable as a second nationality. Further, I think it would be interesting to see Catalan and Basque as languages, but is just something I think would be cool, not necessarily something I would strongly advocate.

I'm Basque myself :)

We should definitely have the option to select multiple languages to reflect our real life abilities.

I also agree about Basque being available as a second nationality for human managers. If it's in the game for players, staff, and clubs like Bilbao, then it should be in the game for human managers.

Players can be Basque therefore managers should be able to be Basque. No politics about it. No problem to it. I believe that's the OP's point.

I would also like to be able to add a city/town/farm/barn of birth. It doesn't need to be in the database. It just needs to be a text string, something everyone learns to code in grade 8.

I should also be able to select the languages I speak, though I get around that by choosing different nationalities that I know have multiple languages by default (i.e. all Canadians in the FM universe can speak both English and French, hehe).

Further, I think it would be interesting to see Catalan and Basque as languages, but is just something I think would be cool, not necessarily something I would strongly advocate.QUOTE]

I think the problem with this is that there are allot of regional languages that could be added to the game. From a British point of view there’s Welsh, Gaelic, and Irish. I'm sure people from all every country in the world could ask for a new language.

Still i cant see why Basque cant be added as a 2nd nationality, but then maybe people from the other Spanish regions will want to have their region in the game (my girlfriend is from Galicia and she considers herself Galician over Spanish). It would probably get into murky political territory that isn’t meant for a football management computer game.

It would be nice to be able choose languages though. In half French through my mother but i never really picked up the language past conversational (family fall out, don’t ask).

The big difference is though catesy... are there any Galician teams who will only employ Galician players and staff like Basque teams do with Basques?

I settled that one earlier.

They only employ basque players - the staff/ managers - they can come from anywhere. Therefore, the 'nationality' issue is not a problem for us - because managers of any nationality can manage them.

Basque shouldn't be available simply because it is not a recognised nationstate. If they added Basque, then they'd have to add hundreds of regions from around the world that aren't politically stable or wants independance.

Pretty much every region of Spain is technically self-governed, so should all of those be available as well? In fact, I'm pretty sure half of Europe has a similar setup, where certain areas are technically self governed. How about the USA, for instance? Their actual national setup isn't much different from how the EU works, except much closer political ties: It's still very much possible fo a state to secede from the American Union, although unrealistic, since a state probably can't handle being autonomous, due to the current setup.

Should Americans have all 50 states to choose from? :p

I totally agree you should be able to add your own place of birth and more favoured teams (up to 3?)

With the Basque thing, I think it used to be that you could select it as your second nationality, but im not sure because I always changed the database to make Basque a full nationality with a club league (Barakaldo, Bayonne, Real Union, Izarra, Lemona etc) so then it could be picked at the start of the game like any other nationality.

I think that SI are aware of the sensitivity of this issue - although Basque is needed in the game for Athletic's policy, Euskadi is not currently a recognised 'nation' in the real world, so unless users want to add it or any other nations (eg Bayern, Catalunya, Bretagne, Quebec, Tatarstan, Dagestan, Kosovo, Venezia - the list goes on, I have been looking into it!), SI have made Basque as little-used as possible. Remember the Athletic policy is only needed for players, not managers, so technically it is not needed as an option.

PS I actually dont really recommend making a Basque national team and league, its quite easy to set up, but the coding sets the reputation of the country as really low (about the same as Albania if not worse) so regen players are all really poor - so Athletic gets left with only the Basque regen youngsters who pop up at the other Spanish clubs to choose from, as none of the ones at the 'Basque' clubs are ever good enough... At least thats what happened in FM08, but now in FM09 and FM10 it seems Athletic can sign any under-19 Spaniard, which is something I dont agree with, but thats another moan for another thread. Anyway the point is, if youre playing as Athletic Bilbao youre probably better off leaving Barakaldo, Real Union etc in Spain because the quality of youth players they produce for you to sign will be better.

If this gets in then I want to be able to add Jedi as my second nationality.

Excuse me?

You mean there are players and managers with Jedi as second nationality like there are players and managers with Basque as second nationality?

Otherwise it's not really a contributing effort to this thread.

There was me thinking this thread would end up a political debate, only to be brought to an end with Star Wars! Brilliant!

On Topic: I fail to understand the posts against this idea, unless you consider yourself Basque surely it wouldn't have the slightest effect to your game?

It's hardly a project that would take SI months of valuable developing time to complete.

In the meantime, I'm sure an FM10 RTE will be knocking around before too long which will allow you to add as many nationalities to your manager as you wish.

Archived