Overachieved in the demo

I started the FM10 demo with Burton Albion in League 2 & after 23 games I managed to achieved:

W:16 D:3 L:4

And the annoying thing is that I cant help feel that I'll never achieve this when I start it will the new game. I know I can continue, but I want to start with a larger database.

Has anyone else overachieved in the 6 mths that will be starting fresh when the game come out & do you think it'll possible to achieve it again?

It'll be interesting to see how the game engine works...

I started the FM10 demo with Burton Albion in League 2 & after 23 games I managed to achieved:

W:16 D:3 L:4

And the annoying thing is that I cant help feel that I'll never achieve this when I start it will the new game. I know I can continue, but I want to start with a larger database.

Has anyone else overachieved in the 6 mths that will be starting fresh when the game come out & do you think it'll possible to achieve it again?

It'll be interesting to see how the game engine works...

I understand about not wanting to transfer the game but why not? If you have enjoyed it then transfer it. People say they want more leagues and a larger database which is fair enough, but its not as if, if you transfer the game from the demo you cant start a new game on FM10. A larger data base and more leagues does not mean you will have a great save it just gives you more options/players and possibly more longevity. Also the patch would be a reason to start a fresh but why not have the best of both worlds and do both? :)

Same here mate, over acheiving is too easy. No challenge this year it seems

How many saves/games have you had? Have you been a relagation candidate and been tittle challenges? If you have had lots of games then fair enough buit don't judge the difficullty on just one game. :)

I played through the six months as Barrow who are expected to finish 19th on the BSP which is just above the religation zone. I finished the demo lying in 11th.

I've only got 1 point from the last 4 games and i'm 7 still 7 points above 19th place so i'm not over achieving too much but i'm lying mid table when i was expected to fighting to stay up.

I think as lower league teams a couple of good signings can make the defferance between bottom and mid table when at higher league teams it's not so easy.

Neil

Exactly, I agree with you nev147.

I bet it's a different story with relegation battlers.

C.

Burton are favourate to finish bottom (24th) & I was sitting joint top. I did make some good signings which was probs wot helped.

But my point was, if I start the new game with the same team, buy the same players, with the same fixtures list... yes not all results will be the same but do you think I'll be title challangers again? Thats wot I think will be interesting in the new game to see if I will.

Well, there are a number of factors DerbyLad. Your team might not gel as quickly, you might not make the same signings, you might not have the same luck or be able to keep the same morale. It's impossible to say. You may just have been quite lucky to start off with.

Also, as the expectations change during the season, you might also have hit a tough spell with your tactics, team talks and press conferences. Often, people can overachieve to a certain point because they get everything spot on but then they end up struggling with the weight of expectation during the second half of the season.

Regards,

C.

I played through the six months as Barrow who are expected to finish 19th on the BSP which is just above the religation zone. I finished the demo lying in 11th.

I've only got 1 point from the last 4 games and i'm 7 still 7 points above 19th place so i'm not over achieving too much but i'm lying mid table when i was expected to fighting to stay up.

I think as lower league teams a couple of good signings can make the defferance between bottom and mid table when at higher league teams it's not so easy.

Neil

Sounds like previous versions of FM then. I have never been anywhere near relegation, despite being expected to fight for staying up - I always end up somewhere in mid table, at least.

So far finished my 2 demo games 6th place with Silkeborg in Denmark & 3rd place with Spurs so have definately over-achieved in both cases
How is 6th place with Silkeborg overachieving? If you look at the league table, Silkeborg is 5th at the moment. You should be aware of this, judging by your location.

EDIT: And Spurs just happens to be in 3rd place now. Which makes me wonder... were you actually just joking?

How is 6th place with Silkeborg overachieving? If you look at the league table, Silkeborg is 5th at the moment. You should be aware of this, judging by your location.

Given the game has them in 11th I am taking what the game suggests, I am fully aware of the club itself though thanks. By the way in that case Spurs are also 3rd so I guess being 3rd is where they should be yes? Your logic is flawed I'm afraid

Given the game has them in 11th I am taking what the game suggests, I am fully aware of the club itself though thanks. By the way in that case Spurs are also 3rd so I guess being 3rd is where they should be yes? Your logic is flawed I'm afraid
I have absolutely no idea what you mean by my logic being flawed. And since Spurs have gotten 3rd place with their match results, I would say that's exactly where they should be right now.

I wouldn't take the game's media prediction as any kind of proof about overachieving, since it so often goes badly wrong with AI teams too.

Just to humour you I decided to start a new Danish quick start & run myself as an unemployed manager until December 7th (last league game on the quickstart) to see how Silkeborg perform without me in charge. You can imagine my surprise when I checked the league table & did infact find Silkeborg in 11th place having won 2, drawn 6 & lost 10 games. Want me to run it more times to see the average position they come? I'd bet my left nut it's nowhere near 5th or 6th fella

As many people are saying different things and in relation to Spurs and the Danish team, dont forget that our own perceptions of over achieving are different and subjective and people have different standards, i.e a team that is relagation candidates. One person may achieve a mid table finish and be elated and thnik this is unrealistic and believe he has over achieved. An other person may have achieved the same feet and feel thats this was least I could have expected and would not accept this as over achieving but the bare minimum if you like and strive to better this and may think that he or she should have done. As allways in FM alot of things are subjective. :)

Oh well that's ok then, here I was thinking Spurs have had an amazing start & were surprising a few people but we should be in 3rd place all along, thanks for clearing that up for me, I look forward to champions league football for the FIRST time next season
These are the facts:

1. In your FM demo Spurs 3rd, season not over

2. In real life Spurs 3rd, season not over

Neither of those cases will bring Spurs any Champions League football, since the season is not yet over - unless of course you are living in a different universe from me, where you DO get CL places based on mid-season placement.

I also don't believe even for a second that the real Spurs can actually stay 3rd all the way to the end, just like I don't believe that YOU would have been able to get them to finish 3rd place.

Anyway, I find this whole conversation a bit pointless, since this has really been the same in every single FM game: you can achieve things in FM (and CM) that would not be possible in real life football. And this is how it really must be.

Ok just to clarify something, I've been pretty bored this afternoon & have run each quick start 10 times just to see where Spurs & Silkeborg finish with the game data. Silkeborg finished 8th once, 9th twice, 10th three times, 11th three times & 12th once which would suggest if you come 6th with the game demo you have done better then expected, thus over-achieveing. Spurs came 4th once, 5th twice, 6th twice, 8th once, 9th twice, 10th once, 13th once which again would suggest coming 3rd at the end of the demo is doing better then expected, thus over-achieveing.

You keep side stepping everything, changing the discussion but this is about FM10, not real life. I should also point out because you didn't seem to see through my sarcasm, that I don't believe Spurs will finish 3rd this season, hence why I believe we are over-achieveing currently by being in 3rd place in real life.

Let's allow the thread to continue with what it was put here for, people who think they have done well in the demo & hope it will continue to do so when the full game is released.

You keep side stepping everything, changing the discussion but this is about FM10, not real life. I should also point out because you didn't seem to see through my sarcasm, that I don't believe Spurs will finish 3rd this season, hence why I believe we are over-achieveing currently by being in 3rd place in real life.
Ok kiddo, let's stick with FM then. I don't even know whether you think your overachieving is a problem or not, and I don't care anymore. I won't waste my time anymore with people like you.

And now back on topic: I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to keep overachieving with the full version, since it's been pretty easy with every previous FM & CM version.

Ok just to clarify something, I've been pretty bored this afternoon & have run each quick start 10 times just to see where Spurs & Silkeborg finish with the game data. Silkeborg finished 8th once, 9th twice, 10th three times, 11th three times & 12th once which would suggest if you come 6th with the game demo you have done better then expected, thus over-achieveing. Spurs came 4th once, 5th twice, 6th twice, 8th once, 9th twice, 10th once, 13th once which again would suggest coming 3rd at the end of the demo is doing better then expected, thus over-achieveing.

Let's allow the thread to continue with what it was put here for, people who think they have done well in the demo & hope it will continue to do so when the full game is released.

Just to play devil's advocate but that is where the AI clubs have finished. We all on these forums know who the best players are the ones to buy etc so us as the managers we have far greater knowledge and the AI clubs often are clueless in the transfer market and hardly buy anyone but it appears to be changing in FM10. If an AI team x finishes 15th for example I would like to think that I could have done better than that. (I may not but I think I maybe could) as I said before it is subjective in terms of what we expect of ourselves. In real life what are the chances Of Hull winning the premier league - very slim. What are the chances in FM - far greater than in real life. So if there were no chances of improving and doing a better than expected job then it would be very boring. Also getting clubs promoted from the lowest division to champions league winners in a relatively short period of time is very possible in FM but not possible in real life. :)

After reading this entire topic (while I should actually be learning for my college exams), I have to come to the conclusion that I agree completely with Mikke. Playing half a season is never a good indication of how high you're going to finish. Both IRL and in FM.

Have you considered Spurs1979 that your squad might peak earlier in the season then when the same squad would be managed by the computer? I'm not saying that this is the case, it's just a theory. It's a fact that certain teams peak earlier in the season then others. It's also a fact that some teams always start the season very "slowly". Although there are a few exceptions. Some teams like PSV Eindhoven are very consistent throughout the season. But that's very rare.

Besides, be glad you have more intelligence then a computer ;)

Should look in the mirror Mikke, at least I have the respect to use your name instead of condescending names like "kiddo" to try & get my point across. This is a discussion forum, you disagreed with my post, I responded with examples of why I think it is true. If you can't accept that then maybe you shouldn't be using a message board. I stand by my comment, I don't think many people think Spurs being 3rd isn't an over-achievement or Silkeborg being 6th isn't an over-achievement within the game.

Should look in the mirror Mikke, at least I have the respect to use your name instead of condescending names like "kiddo" to try & get my point across. This is a discussion forum, you disagreed with my post, I responded with examples of why I think it is true. If you can't accept that then maybe you shouldn't be using a message board. I stand by my comment, I don't think many people think Spurs being 3rd isn't an over-achievement or Silkeborg being 6th isn't an over-achievement within the game.
I used "kiddo" only because I assumed the 1979 in your nickname is your year of birth, didn't mean to hurt your feelings. IMO, 'kiddo' isn't any worse than 'fella' anyway. You seem to disagree.

Of course I accept you responding with your examples, I just don't think that your examples are valid. If you don't understand or accept this, maybe you shouldn't be having conversations.

Over-achievement or not, Spurs being 3rd or Silkeborg being 6th is completely realistic. In the game it's just much less of an over-achievement than in real life, and for better players finishing 3rd with Spurs could even be an under-achievement.

Nev147 & Schotsmannetje, I fully appreciate your comments but this isn't about what may happen after the demo as I'm in full agreement my positions could have changed drastically, being an experienced offline & online player I've had all sorts happen in previous careers. However this thread & my point is simply about the positions at the end of the demo, nothing more & nothing less but simply considering how things went upto that stage.

I should also point out in reguards to player signings that no transfers were made, I'm the kinda player who goes straight into the demos & wants to see things in general rather then playing with transfers, training, tactics, coaches etc etc.

I accept you may think different but in my opinion when someone downloads the demo, uses the squad as it comes, doesn't mess about with anything & finishes where I did you have the right to believe you've done better then expected, that's the only point for me. This is also not about anyone's ability, I don't think I am the most amazing FM player around but I certainly don't think I'm too bad either.

I also fully accept most people tend to do better then the CPU imagines, but I'm also experienced enough to know player ratings etc make a big difference in how well you can do, as I said above when you take these 2 teams & don't make any changes you can be justified in being pleased with the positions stated, in my opinion of course!

My main issue was actually when you compared the finishes with how the teams are doing in real life because for me that is a silly thing to do when we all know FM doesnt reflect real life & vice versa, things kinda went in different angles though.

*smiles*

Nev147 & Schotsmannetje, I fully appreciate your comments but this isn't about what may happen after the demo as I'm in full agreement my positions could have changed drastically, being an experienced offline & online player I've had all sorts happen in previous careers. However this thread & my point is simply about the positions at the end of the demo, nothing more & nothing less but simply considering how things went upto that stage.

I should also point out in reguards to player signings that no transfers were made, I'm the kinda player who goes straight into the demos & wants to see things in general rather then playing with transfers, training, tactics, coaches etc etc.

I accept you may think different but in my opinion when someone downloads the demo, uses the squad as it comes, doesn't mess about with anything & finishes where I did you have the right to believe you've done better then expected, that's the only point for me. This is also not about anyone's ability, I don't think I am the most amazing FM player around but I certainly don't think I'm too bad either.

I also fully accept most people tend to do better then the CPU imagines, but I'm also experienced enough to know player ratings etc make a big difference in how well you can do, as I said above when you take these 2 teams & don't make any changes you can be justified in being pleased with the positions stated, in my opinion of course!

My main issue was actually when you compared the finishes with how the teams are doing in real life because for me that is a silly thing to do when we all know FM doesnt reflect real life & vice versa, things kinda went in different angles though.

*smiles*

Fair comment Spurs. :)

Archived