No WSM 10? Please say its so!

Just downloaded the demo over steam here in the US and was noticing it was asking me to pre-purchase FM 10 instead of WSM 10. Please tell me you have finally decided to bin trying to market WSM in the States and just using FM10 for all markets.

Yes indeed, WSM is no more, long live Football Manager! :D

Wanna give a big thanks to the team and the SEGA Publishers for finding coming around to the idea that Americans can understand Football Manager is explainable enough and for not wasting resources on making different file names that end up hurting the product because we wanna use in-game editors that only work with the FM version!

But how will we know that this game is about soccer instead of REAL football? I mean besides the giant picture on the front with the guy holding a soccer ball???????????

HELP ME IM A STUPID CONFUSED AMERICAN CHANGE IT BACK PLEASE

The game you guys call Soccer is real Football to the rest of the world. Not that silly game Throwball that you call football. :D

Canada here.....installed Football Manager and was trying to trade for Tom Brady but couldn't find him I guess he isn't in the game?

I know! And that guy who got sent to prison because of the dog fights is already playing again but it's not in the database, SORT IT OUT SI

I'm American and I agree that there is no need to Americanize the game.

For those who've never seen the American version, it isn't just the title that's changed; the word "football" is replaced by "soccer" throughout the game.

Without ever having seen the non-American version (I only started playing with '09) I don't know how different it is, but I can tell at the very least that a lot of British-English terms are changed to American idioms instead - "sacked" is "fired," etc.

I would actually prefer it left the same as it is for anyone else; the American terminology stuck into the game here and there just doesn't fit the overall feel.

The game you guys call Soccer is real Football to the rest of the world. Not that silly game Throwball that you call football. :D

Heh... I never understood why Brits get so snippy about the use of the word "Soccer." It started in England, after all, as a way to differentiate Rugby football from Association football. The word "soccer" evolved out of slangy treatment of "Assoc.," and so the word "soccer" was born.

In England.

When Rugby Football got exported around the world with the British Empire, it became several different games called Football (USA, Australia) - which feature running and throwing the ball more than kicking it, just like Rugby (football) still does!

So... yeah.

Heh... I never understood why Brits get so snippy about the use of the word "Soccer." It started in England, after all, as a way to differentiate Rugby football from Association football. The word "soccer" evolved out of slangy treatment of "Assoc.," and so the word "soccer" was born.

In England.

When Rugby Football got exported around the world with the British Empire, it became several different games called Football (USA, Australia) - which feature running and throwing the ball more than kicking it, just like Rugby (football) still does!

So... yeah.

I just hate the word soccer that is my personal feelings on the word and as far as I am concerned the word should be removed from the english language. SI have made one step towards that by renaming WSM to FM you guys make me happy on a regular basis.

On a side note and a little off topic. It has always baffled me why EA call FIFA 10 in the US FIFA soccer 10 there is no other game that I am aware of that use the FIFA license apart from FIFA Manager.

Everyone lets get together and ban the word soccer and call it, its right full name Football. Gillette Football Saturday and Football AM on Sky

Why do Brits only complain about Americans calling it soccer, yet there's never a peep about Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, the Irish, and South Africans to do it?

I mean, ****, you should be happy that those of us who like the sport don't follow that gridiron bull.

It is not ok for anyone to do it especialy the British.

I agree that it's odd to hear coming from Brits, which is why the word "soccer" tends to be glaring in this game. It's incongruent to see a news item like:

"Harry Redknapp says he has a lot of time for (Britishism) John Fleck and believes he could become a world-class soccer player (Americanism)."

Doesn't fit, but this is what you see in the American version of '09. I would expect to hear the word from Americans and other nationalities that use the word, but it's odd to see someone born in Leeds demanding "first team soccer."

I don't think Americans will be confused. I doubt the game will be in stores. The only place I can find to pre-order is amazon.com

Also Fifa 10 is just that in the USA. There is no "US Fifa 10".

WSM was exactly the same except for words like soccer and coach but you can easily change that by going to preferences and clicking "UK English".

I'm American and I agree that there is no need to Americanize the game.

For those who've never seen the American version, it isn't just the title that's changed; the word "football" is replaced by "soccer" throughout the game.

Without ever having seen the non-American version (I only started playing with '09) I don't know how different it is, but I can tell at the very least that a lot of British-English terms are changed to American idioms instead - "sacked" is "fired," etc.

I would actually prefer it left the same as it is for anyone else; the American terminology stuck into the game here and there just doesn't fit the overall feel.

If you have WWSM 09 you can select UK English in the preference menu. I'm American and have had three versions of WWSM 2006, 08,and 09 and never played with USA English. WWSM 2006 only shipped with USA English but one of the Marcs, either V. or Duffy, came up with a UK English language pack we could d'load, so we were set with a proper game.

Everyone lets get together and ban the word soccer and call it, its right full name Football. Gillette Football Saturday and Football AM on Sky

OK. Let's also make everyone call it "association football" as that's its official name. I hate when people call association football "football" because, as a huge rubgy football fan, I think it should only be used to refer to rubgy football as it was originally.

Seriously though, I'm an American and switch between use of the terms soccer and football for the sport with the round ball and the goals. And like others said, "soccer" originated in the UK, so those complaining about it shouldn't complain to Americans.

Come on, folks. Stop with the utterly stupid bashing of Americans. I tend to have a sense of humor about these things, and, as an American, I'm in a position to confirm that we have arguably the dumbest populace on the face of this earth.

However, we have passionate football fans who embrace the term "football" and can discern the difference. So please stop with the insults.

Our hardcore fans are loyal to the game as it is around the world. They despise the attempts of the MLS to mold our football league into something that resembles other American sports leagues.

The mistake that American sports leagues tend to make is to market their product to the casual sports fan. So they water down the product or use cheap gimmicks and ploys to try to attract this audience. But the casual sports fan does not have any interest in football unless it's of the American variety. So why bother with "soccer" and penalty shootouts and all this other nonsense?

Thankfully things have changed over the years, we got rid of rubbish like the penalty shootout, we've got new stadiums built exclusively for the game, and MLS has been slowly changing rules and even its tendency in club names to resemble real football around the world.

As one who was unhappy with WSM, even though it was just a cosmetic difference, I am glad to see that we'll finally get Football Manager here in the U.S.

In a small way, the Football Manager name change goes nicely with the rest of the evolution of football in the U.S. It's a way to stop insulting the intelligence of our football fans in America.

Funny thing is I'm only an American through naturalization. Was born in Scotland and honestly just wanted to have the FM version available to me. Was hoping with 09 and the steam distribution it could be. But FM was blocked to American IP's which annoyed me to no end.

There are lots of ex-pats in the states for many different reasons.

for the past few releases I was able to buy WWSM, then install the FM patch and the game would start looking like FM, quacking like FM and all the 3rd party tools would think it was FM. All that it meant is that instead of buying the game when it comes out, I would buy it when the first patch came out.

Amazon.ca does not carry this - and Dot Com will not ship to Canada

Amazon dot COM is very pedantic about shipping restrictions. I feel that the reason for that is that Amazon charges you for any Canadian customs dues. If it's not letting you ship FM to Canada, try buying it online from a different e-tailer, they will ship it to you, but you will be responsible for customs dues. Generally someone like UPS will pre-pay them for you, and charge you at delivery time

Overjoyed WWSM is gone. And London isn't in Iowa, it's in Indiana. About 50 miles south of Peru...

Actually, US31 in Indiana is a trip around the world. You'll pass Mexico, Bremen, Frankfort, Peru, London, Warsaw, Edinburgh, and Versailles (that's "ver-SALES", of course)...

Glad it's gone, now the world can learn what the game is really called...:D

Seriously it was an unwieldy name and an awful looking acronym. Americans are more than capable of realising the game may have another name elsewhere, and I'm almost certain they can tell the difference between footie and gridiron. Those Aussies with their 'football', however, are beyond help...

Just a note: Americans are no stupider than other people. They don't even have a higher percentage of stupid people than anywhere else. It's just easier for their idiots to get on TV.

What REAL football is, seems yet to be discussed. The world-wide majority seems to be in favour of what you call soccer :p

Hmmm, can you quote any sources there? There are indeed many countries that use football or some variatiion, futbol, etc.

But within the English speaking world, I think Britain is the only place where they call soccer "football". And my guess is that around the world it would indeed be a minority of countries and population that use the term "football".

Don't let the fact that this is a British board fool you. "Football" refers to a plethora of sports, soccer being merely one, and "football" is probably in the worldwide minority to "soccer" as a term.

On a different note, I'll take a somewhat inward looking, well-meaning American over snobby, anti-American Euro/Brit-trash any day. Anti-Americanism goes beyond smug, it is quite simply ugly.

I am Canadian, and we are generally considered a people with a noticeable inferiority complex towards the United States. But I have to say, this and other threads blow our doors off!

Archived