Anybody tried International managment?

I have indeed as Scotland. Managed to win 2-1 in Norway and drew 1-1 with both Macedonia and Holland. Results that were enough to seal a playoff place which sadly we lost to Switzerland; 1-0 defeat away from home before a 2-2 draw at Hampden.

Managed to find a couple of young prospects most notably Paul Dixon of Dundee Utd.

Also tried to persuade Barry ferguson and alan mcgregor to come out international retirement. Neither of them agreed to it though.

Well it looked like things had improved on the international front, when as a club manager I saw a news report about player x being told to prove himself in the U-21's (someone like Micah Richards I think)

So I took over England dropped a few stars and brought in a couple blue square north players to see what reaction I would get?

Got a news report about the dropping of Gerrard.

And one news report about making a mockery of the international team for calling up player X

But no press conference after my first squad announcement?

Nor the chance to interact with a player and tell them for example to prove themselves with the U-21

Or need to be playing more regularly at club level! (which I thought was in FM09)

Did get a prematch press conference and asked about Gerrard being dropped and what impact it could have on everyone else.

Got to choose my captain and vice captain.

(also when I changed the backroom staff and got Ray Wilkins in as my assistant manager I thought I might get some sort of press reaction)

On the international competition front:

As well as the four nations we also now have the Caribbean Cup (which hopefully feeds into the World cup qualifiers)

Some sort of four team asian challenge cup? (someone who knows more about Asian football can probably tell us more about that)

While I know the blogs said we can't edit international competitions has anyone found out if we can create new ones?

For example a Pacific nation cup or mediterrean cup or one of the regional African cup (CECAFE??)

What i would really like to see it's being able to be appointed under-21 manager or under-23 ou under-19, you get my point.

I know that it's already in the game before anyone says that but it's very rare. I've never seen that happen and i play allot.

I think it will feed into the Gold Cup as it does in real life.

Ah of course, thanks for reminding me.

(also forget the world cup north american qualifier format which is 2 rounds of seeded knockout competitions (the first stage of which is more of a qualifier) before going on to 2 group stages)

Seems the Asian challenge cup is (according to Wikipedia) a competitions for emerging Asian nations.

Few other things:

One good point: Your assistant will now suggest a squad to you, the 23-26 players he thinks, and why certain ones should be included (you also have to name a minimum of 2 goalies now, though don't have to take any strikers)

I qualified for the world cup (ok all I had left to do was draw with Croatia to do so) but didn't get a post match press conference

By clicking on one of my players I could comment on their form (though I'm sure that was in a previous version anyway)

If you tell two coaches to scout the same competition for example the Premiership they go and watch the same games! Surely they could go and watch different games.

Ok played a couple more months, couple more thing.

Was able to comment on a couple of players not playing enough for their clubs, so there is a trigger for this.

Was able to ask Carragher ad Scholes to come out of retirement (though they both rejected it)

Strangely there is no World Youth Cup 2009 (the one Ghana just beat Brazil to win, have posted this in the bugs forum but thought I would note it here)

Alumina received English citizenship at the start of November so I was able to select him for my squad, which generated a question in the pre match press conference about "players losing their identities" which was a nice touch.

Apart from the Brazil friendly in november, could only arrange one other friendly before the world cup! I think Capello would go mad if the only change he didn't get more of a chance to try his team out! but this unrealistic one friendly before a major tournament is reported every year and seemingly ignored.

Apart from the Brazil friendly in november, could only arrange one other friendly before the world cup! I think Capello would go mad if the only change he didn't get more of a chance to try his team out! but this unrealistic one friendly before a major tournament is reported every year and seemingly ignored.

I love international management, but from this I get that this year also the friendly matches issue will be a hard to swallow. I mean where are the options to play against clubs with the national side (don't blame me my nations first squad does it, alight they use it as a training match when they don't play each other you know) or to arrange a training game within, like you select two teams from the same 23 players.

Well this would be hard to code I guess, but you could create a temporary reserve team screen for nations and put some 12 players there temporarily which is in the game and challenge them for a friendly game which you can do at club level with your reserve and youth sides. So maybe it will work :D

I tried a quick game with Italy (bunch of geriatrics) in the demo. My main gripe of not being able to see scout/coach assessments in the main Squad screen, or in the National Pool still seems to stand (though I'm told that this is being looked into). With the customizable columns, it should be possible to add this information to these screens, but it doesn't seem to be working atm. That said, I agree the assistant's suggestion of the team helps quite a bit.

They should bring in the option to arrange friendlys to be played in diffrent counties and stadiums like England playing Brazil in Dubai and When Brazil/Ghana play in London as this is becoming quite common place now this should also apply to domestic clubs as they do this alot to.

I have already mentioned this before but Si never get back to me

• SI Staff

It's a case of slow and steady with international management at the moment as obviously club management is our main focus and with a small dev team we don't want to take on more than we can handle.

We've got a lot of ideas down for international management though (including stuff mentioned in this thread) so it's a case of watch this space. When we're in a position to do it justice I'm sure we will do.

Nick, thank you for your response, I appreciate it is of lesser importance than club management for the over all focus of the game.

However, can we at least have a couple more friendlies in the run up to the world cup? Especially as by default the March friendly date is unavailable for England. Also I posted in the bugs forum about the missing world youth cup (which you guys may not have seen yet.)

And can you confirm whether or not we are able to create international competitions with the editor?

It's a case of slow and steady with international management at the moment as obviously club management is our main focus and with a small dev team we don't want to take on more than we can handle.

We've got a lot of ideas down for international management though (including stuff mentioned in this thread) so it's a case of watch this space. When we're in a position to do it justice I'm sure we will do.

well it shouldn't be a big problem to somehow give options to players who manage national teams that they are able to play at least 3 friendly games as preparations for world cup or european championship..

I appreciate what you say Nick but obviously the international side of the game is increasing in popularity. I am sure Miles promised us an overhual of international management sometime soon (2011 I hope)

Archived