Nerdy Question - Is FM2010 compiled as a 64bit program?

Bugger. To be fair, at the moment, I imagine converting to 64bit will be very hard. I bet there is some absolutely ancient code about in the very depths of the football manager source code.

yeah, i think i read somewhere that SI feel not enough people have made the switch to 64-bit for it to be worthwhile

Does this mean FM2010 will not work on 64-bit Windows, or simply that it will not take advantage of 64-bit?

Really need to know as I have ordered 64-bit Windows 7.

it works perfectly on windows 7 64, it's just not especially designed for it. don't worry

i guess maybe another year after the release of windows 7 would we start seeing our 64bit OS only games, i dont want those times to be any earlier tbh because i have a lot of stuff on my comp and reinstalling it all would be such a hassle.

i guess maybe another year after the release of windows 7 would we start seeing our 64bit OS only games, i dont want those times to be any earlier tbh because i have a lot of stuff on my comp and reinstalling it all would be such a hassle.

I don't know how it works on Windows (I don't imagine Microsoft know how they're going to make it work, either :)) but on Mac OS X it's relatively easy to compile a Cocoa app for 32bit and 64bit.

its very easy to do it ,on windows too

i already suggested this but miles said that wasn't enough people with 64 bits OS out there to do it( according to steam hardware survey last time i checked 20% of steam users had a 64 bits OS , i don't see why it isnt enough. maybe their afraid or lazy to do it , its matter of adding extra 64 binaries and a 64bits exe.

well windows 7 will be that last version to have a 32 bits version , Windows 8 will be 64 bits and programs and drivers will have to be 64bits to work on it ( it will have a compatibility layer but very limited)

i am glad Microsoft made this decision because its about ****ing time , 32 bits has too much limitations for nowadays computing

yeah, i think i read somewhere that SI feel not enough people have made the switch to 64-bit for it to be worthwhile

DUMB. All major manufacturers have already been selling quad core machines with 64-bit operating systems. As Windows 7 is released, there is going to be another wave of new machines hitting the market. How about actually getting ahead of the curve and doing something creative like creating two versions of FM for 32-bit and 64-bit systems respectively, thus paving the way to make a quick switch to 64-bit once the time comes?

It's unbelievable how many software developers have neglected 64-bit technology and have decided to wait around until it's too late and customers start complaining about the failure to take advantage of what's possible with new hardware and OS.

DUMB. All major manufacturers have already been selling quad core machines with 64-bit operating systems. As Windows 7 is released, there is going to be another wave of new machines hitting the market. How about actually getting ahead of the curve and doing something creative like creating two versions of FM for 32-bit and 64-bit systems respectively, thus paving the way to make a quick switch to 64-bit once the time comes?

It's unbelievable how many software developers have neglected 64-bit technology and have decided to wait around until it's too late and customers start complaining about the failure to take advantage of what's possible with new hardware and OS.

this is true , well it came late but Microsoft decided shove down developers throats 64bits computing

Windows 7 64 bits version will be the main flag 32 bits will be a secondary version ( with vista they tried it but due to dumb people it failed )

Windows 8 64 bits only

Windows 9 64bits and 128 bits versions

this is true , well it came late but Microsoft decided shove down developers throats 64bits computing

Windows 7 64 bits version will be the main flag 32 bits will be a secondary version ( with vista they tried it but due to dumb people it failed )

Windows 8 64 bits only

Windows 9 64bits and 128 bits versions

That is not going to happen! The next version of Windows will be 32 bit aswell - there is no way everyone with a PC will make that switch to 64-bit by the time the next Windows is out! They would be very very stupid to make it only 64-bit!

You also have to think about many businesses with software (be it large or small) which will only run on 32bit and therefore these will be the need for 32-bit systems for a long time to come.

That is not going to happen! The next version of Windows will be 32 bit aswell - there is no way everyone with a PC will make that switch to 64-bit by the time the next Windows is out! They would be very very stupid to make it only 64-bit!

You also have to think about many businesses with software (be it large or small) which will only run on 32bit and therefore these will be the need for 32-bit systems for a long time to come.

The information came from Microsoft itself also their considering actually making a 128 version for windows 8

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/enterprise/352270/microsoft-leaks-details-of-windows-8-and-windows-9

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Exploring-Windows-8-Exclusively-64-Bit-Scenario-98641.shtml

you do realise that 64bits is the way forward , 32bits limits too much for nowadays.

making a 64bits aplication its easy has making a 32 so its not a big problem , 32bits programs will work on 64 bits but they have to be emulated witch slows the processing of them a bit

you have to think that all hardware works on 64bits ( has long has drivers for it ) and we have been using 64bits processors for years now

You made mistake their buddy. Microsoft didn't shove down developers throats 64 bit computing. Do you know that 32 bit OS only recognizes 3.8 Gb of memory, if you have 4Gb of memory on your computer?

It is only with 64 bit version OS that 4Gb or higher will be recognize.

I do have question for you. How about did a little research before hand?

The 64 bits is not just for memory addressing but also for the amount of data that can be moved at one time.

In 32 bit, you can only move 4 bytes at a time, in 64 bit you can move 8 bytes at a time and in 128 bit you can move 16 bits at a time. While there are other things that slow things down so you don't get a true 2x improvement, it does improve memory transfer speed.

would be appauling decision to go down that road for the PC industry but when have they ever made good decisions with consumer interest than forcing us to part with cash. I grown disolusioned with PC industry attitude and yes I am one on XP as dont feel there is absolute any benefit or need to move to another windows even if I did upgrade the hardware. XP runs fine its not a memory hogg as its got no gimmick rubbish it simply does what it says on the tin dont crash and is stable why change it. Sadly YES this will happen due to microsoft desperation to get people spend more money on another OS. I would think SI would not follow to 64 bit as the would lose likely roughly 60% of its customer base.

I think we're getting alittle off topic here... but to butt in some flavours of Win7 ship with an XP 'emulator' so to speak. And as someone has already pointed that a lot of busniesses still use legacy software, and some poeple still play old skool games, myself included. I dont ever think there will be a full switch from 86x, but merely intergrate it into future technology, AS THEY BLOODY SHOULD FROM THE BEGINNING, AS STANDARD!! <-- aimed at Microsoft, for trying to get me to fork out stupid amounts on Win7 Ultimate instead of my free Home package just so I am able to play Dungeon Keeper.

ok, on topic... if Football Manager was to be 64x... what kind of feature would you like/expect to see??? Or should i start a new thread with this???

its very easy to do it ,on windows too

i already suggested this but miles said that wasn't enough people with 64 bits OS out there to do it( according to steam hardware survey last time i checked 20% of steam users had a 64 bits OS , i don't see why it isnt enough. maybe their afraid or lazy to do it , its matter of adding extra 64 binaries and a 64bits exe.

well windows 7 will be that last version to have a 32 bits version , Windows 8 will be 64 bits and programs and drivers will have to be 64bits to work on it ( it will have a compatibility layer but very limited)

i am glad Microsoft made this decision because its about ****ing time , 32 bits has too much limitations for nowadays computing

Well, I read from somewhere, that Windows 8 will come in 2 versions! 64-bit AND 128-bit! That is about three years from now and I can only imagine how useful a 128-bit OS would be!!! :D

Archived