Intel's new Icore7 vs P'series for laptops

Which is the best processor for FM? I also play Civ4 and Cod4.

Intel Core i7 820QM 1.73GHz (Turbo Boost up to 3.06GHz) 8MB Smart Cache 45W

Intel® Core™2 Duo P9700 prosessor, 2.8GHZ 1066MHz FSB 6MB cache 25W

Is there any point in 4 processors for FM is I guess it only supports one. Nvm the pricedifference.

i7 is definitely better for performance...

FM supports multi-processors... so it'll be able to utilise some of the advantages that the i7 provides.

Not sure about Civ4 tho.

If the PC's designed for FM2010, then focus on CPU and RAM.

Graphics cards isn't as important, and also much easier to get a cheap-ish graphics card now, and then replace it with a better one when you have some more money saved up.

Also, can probably use the cheaper one as a 2nd card for those dual-graphic card setups?

Going from a Core 2 Duo to i7 is a much more painful affair, with at the minimum a new motherboard and cpu.

I7 is the best available and therefore expensive. but as the other guy says, you need a new motherboard to support it and probably RAM.

if its soley for FM they its not really worth it, it will be quick, but its a c2d isnt going to kill you with loading times etc.

if your looking for an excuse to just buy a new computer, then I5's are now also out now for around £150. but then again there is probably no point if you already have a c2d or a quad core.

i think any decent graphics card can support fm, but if you'v got the money to build a new i7 system then you might aswell get a new gpu.

to be honest there's really no point at the moment, if your computer can handle fm now, then there's no point wasting your money on another 1.

If you buy an i7, you'll be fine to play FM2010, and FM2011, and most likely 2012.

So getting an i7 will guarantee you a great FM2010 experience, and also safeguard you from making further upgrades for a few years.

Core 2 Duo is getting closer to end of life, so not too sure about investing in a Core 2 Duo motherboard (as you can't upgrade from Core 2 Duo to i7 with the same motherboard).

If money is not a concern, definitely go with i7.

If it's a tradeoff between graphics card or cpu, I would still recommend the i7 since you can easily upgrade your graphics card in a year, but you can't upgrade your cpu if you went with a Core 2 Duo.

Guys, when I buy a new computer a new motherboard wont be a problem as the its gonna be a brand new computer.

Its either

Intel Core i7 820QM 1.73GHz (Turbo Boost opp til 3.06GHz) 8MB Smart Cache 45W

4GB SO-DIMM 1333MHz DDR3

Radeon HD 4570 512MB GDDR2

Intel P55 chipset

OR

Intel® Core™2 Duo P9700 prosessor, 2.8GHZ 1066MHz FSB 6MB cache 25W

ATI Radeon HD 4650 512MB DDR3

4GB DDR3 SO-DIMM 1066MHz

To the exact same price. The first got a way weaker gpu, but a i820qm, which is a really strong cpu. I guess in Cod4 its gonna cost me some fps, while I will earn it in loading time in FM. And its a laptop so I am not quite shore wether its possible to upgrade the gpu.

its a shame that you cant have both :(

the i7 is definately the better cpu, but as you said the 4650 is a lot better than the 4570.

maybe you could ask the company you're getting it from, to see how much an upgrade to the 4650 was?

Oh right, just realised you are talking about laptops (sorry!).

Since it's laptop, we can take the whole future-upgrade consideration out (which was why I talked about replacing motherboards and stuff in the future).

For a laptop, it depends how long are you planning to use it.

If it's just for a year or two, you can probably go with the Core 2 Duo because that CPU will still play FM2010 very well.

The extra grunt in the GPU will help you immensely with COD4 (and Civ4)

If you want to use it for a longer term, then you want to get the i7 to future-proof yourself (to an extent).

Archived