Idea: start with the pre-season database

I would love to ha ve the option to start 2009/10 season, with DB as it were on the end of last season.

I want to have the option to decide about selling and buying players for the coming season, and not start a season with a squad made by other manager.

I know lots of people won't want it, but maybe it can be an option.

I imagine it's not too comlicated to do...

Anyone agrees?

Detracts from realism slightly though. If your squad lacks wingers, then the squad lacks wingers; its a challenge you have to deal with. The fact is, Man City have too many strikers, but thats a challenge Hughes faces and therefore one that you have to face in the game.

I dont disagree with you, but it works both ways. I see it more that the current system is the team as it is, but with a chance to put your own stamp on it, whereas ignoring RL transfers because you wouldnt have made them seems a bit weird to me. Entirely personal preference though and I see where youre coming from.

Perhaps this could be another option to be implemented by SI that you could start your game with a Classic Team from 1960+ and then the database is full of regens of current players but they are only 16/17 year olds.

That's my point.

you can start 09/10 with Ronaldo OR with 70 million. I think it's a simple option to put in and SI should consider it.

There is an option - it's called the editor. If you want to play the game in any way other than intended, you can spend your time creating it.

No need really, if you want it bad enough you can always do it yourself in the editor... Its an idea but only a minority would want it.

When the full game is out what about unticking "allow budgets in 1st transfer window" So atleast no more changes are made to the squads till January. That would make it more realistic :thup:

I've often thought about this, and I would love it if there was an option to play the game with the squads were as they are in real life on the day the game starts.

So, if the game starts on July 1st, then the squads should only include players signed up to that point.

It raises a question of how to incorporate different game-start dates in different leagues and I think the way round this is to have researchers fill in a "date transfer confirmed" field when registering new transfers. So when you start up a new game in whatever league the game calculates what the squad was on that date.

Think this will add to realism.

There is an option - it's called the editor. If you want to play the game in any way other than intended, you can spend your time creating it.

It seems to me like a relatively simple option to add to the game, and if there is enough demand, may be SI can make it.

Can you?

I don't agree that this will harm realism.

Having transfer budget to bring on more players, AFTER real life manager allready brought others, IS harming realism.

I think you are missing the point, having a budget after manager has brought in players does just mean that there are more funds available to buy others.. For example Man City...

Liverpool who spent heavily on Aquilani and Glen Johnson only have abt 2mill to buy players..

Real Madrid who got CRonaldo, Kaka, Benzema, Alonso, Arbeola.. "only" have abt 8mill to spend on players..

So in my eyes this is quite realistic.. What you are asking for is to revert all these summer signings just so you can do player signings urself? And you think there will be enough demand for this??

It is also only a 10min-20min job in the editor for YOU to do if you want to start with a team without the summer transfers, instead of bothering the developers with the issue. The game is suppose to be realistic, and IMO it becomes less realistic if you start the squads without the summer signings..

I've often thought about this, and I would love it if there was an option to play the game with the squads were as they are in real life on the day the game starts.

So, if the game starts on July 1st, then the squads should only include players signed up to that point.

It raises a question of how to incorporate different game-start dates in different leagues and I think the way round this is to have researchers fill in a "date transfer confirmed" field when registering new transfers. So when you start up a new game in whatever league the game calculates what the squad was on that date.

Think this will add to realism.

Might want to look to the Paradox Interactive games for inspiration. You can start a game on any day in a 300 year period, and they manage to store the exact historical circumstances whenever you start.

They even include injuries suffered after the season started IRL. Surely the squad should look as it did the day you took over and not what it looked like after another manager altered things (after that date of your appointment)?

I think you are missing the point, having a budget after manager has brought in players does just mean that there are more funds available to buy others.. For example Man City...

Liverpool who spent heavily on Aquilani and Glen Johnson only have abt 2mill to buy players..

Real Madrid who got CRonaldo, Kaka, Benzema, Alonso, Arbeola.. "only" have abt 8mill to spend on players..

So in my eyes this is quite realistic.. What you are asking for is to revert all these summer signings just so you can do player signings urself? And you think there will be enough demand for this??

It is also only a 10min-20min job in the editor for YOU to do if you want to start with a team without the summer transfers, instead of bothering the developers with the issue. The game is suppose to be realistic, and IMO it becomes less realistic if you start the squads without the summer signings..

The game isn't just about realism. It's also about having fun. What's wrong with including a feature for those who enjoy it? Just because you and some others won't use it doesn't mean it's a useless, unworthy feature.

IMO, the more customization allowed, the better off we all are. I think the new FM10 editor has the potential to take the series in a whole new, extraordinarily exciting direction.

This would not be difficult for the developers to do. Simply release the game with two databases. Have the researchers NEXT year submit all of their updates as of July 1, 2010. Then do a second database with the usual cutoff date for an FM release in October, 2010.

Problem solved, gamers happy, and the folks with poor attitudes in this thread don't have to be bothered either.

The game isn't just about realism. It's also about having fun. What's wrong with including a feature for those who enjoy it? Just because you and some others won't use it doesn't mean it's a useless, unworthy feature.

IMO, the more customization allowed, the better off we all are. I think the new FM10 editor has the potential to take the series in a whole new, extraordinarily exciting direction.

There is a reason the editor is there for the people who want to have fun....

I think you are missing the point, tremendous research and time is used to make this database. And then it is not just "move player A back to team A and player B on team A to team B etc.." again.. if you wanted that then I am pretty sure it would take you less time to revert all the transfers that has been going on in the passed transfer window than you think....

I am fairly confident that unless a HUGE chunk (in terms of a consumer base) wants to have this feature added (which I am pretty sure they don't, because the select few who do want this can very easily spend an hour or so on the editor and do it themselves) SI will prioritize other aspects to make the game more realistic. There is a reason why the game starts in July and not day before the PL starts. I think you are creating a paradox by trying to make the game more realistic by making it less realistic...

Would you want Kaka/C.Ronaldo/Alonso/Benzema/Arbeola not listen in the Real Madrid squad?

What about Adebayor/Toure/Tevez/Barry... Not on Man City?

There is a reason the editor is there for the people who want to have fun....

I think you are missing the point, tremendous research and time is used to make this database. And then it is not just "move player A back to team A and player B on team A to team B etc.." again.. if you wanted that then I am pretty sure it would take you less time to revert all the transfers that has been going on in the passed transfer window than you think....

I am fairly confident that unless a HUGE chunk (in terms of a consumer base) wants to have this feature added (which I am pretty sure they don't, because the select few who do want this can very easily spend an hour or so on the editor and do it themselves) SI will prioritize other aspects to make the game more realistic. There is a reason why the game starts in July and not day before the PL starts. I think you are creating a paradox by trying to make the game more realistic by making it less realistic...

Would you want Kaka/C.Ronaldo/Alonso/Benzema/Arbeola not listen in the Real Madrid squad?

What about Adebayor/Toure/Tevez/Barry... Not on Man City?

It will take longer than an hour to fix the squads for every team in the world. And the solution I proposed (SI not doing this retrospectively but going forward researchers having one extra field to complete when registering transfers) sounds achievable (to me any way).

How can you say this makes the game less realistic?

How is it realistic to play a final patched FM09 and see in Robbie Keane's history he never played for Liverpool?

What about situations where a club appoint Manager X in late July and he signs a few players. If you take control of that club in-game, the game-world doesn't show that manager X ever was at that club yet all the players he signed are at the club. Who signed them? How's that realistic?

What we're asking for is the game-world to represent the real word on the game start date. You can't get more realistic than that.

The game is how it is... its been like that ever since and i don't think its going to change..

What about the stats of these players? If the database was frozen at the Start of July, and then changed to have all the transfers in(at the end of August) then the stats for the players would be different in both databases for some(maybe all of them) in the different databases..?

In the same way that this new editor will create a world of custom leagues etc, there will also be the opportunity for people to create a database in which the transfers are reverted back to the start of the transfer window(as was possible before the new editor possibilities) if the demand is big enough, and somebody takes that responsibility of providing it to you(the FM community)

Anyone claiming that this can be done with the editor in an hour is quite frankly completely unobservant. You DO realize that there are at least hundreds of players worldwide that switch clubs during the summer transfer periods, right? And yet you suggest that someone can simply spend an hour to revert ALL summer transfers on the planet???

Personally I don't need or necessarily want to start the season with a database from the end of the previous season. But I have to point out blatant oversight, especially when it's used to counter people's suggestions for improvements to the game.

Thank you Jorge.

JJ- I really don't see why this bothers you. This is a game, and everyone plays it the way he likes. If I want to manage real without CR, that is my problem. all I asked is whether it is possible for SI to add this option. If it will be added, it certainly won't change the way YOU (and many others) like to play it.

I don't know if SI "save" old copies of the database around, but it would be pretty nice if they did.

However, the database has changed in its innards between seasons so it's really the case of taking a database (from essentially Football Manager 2009) and plugging it in to Football Manager 2010 - which doesn't work due to the changes.

There are techniques to help forwards compatibility but these will require quite a lot of modification to underlying code, as a database isn't really designed in this way.

Archived