The tactical long ball game

You'd need to be very specific with which players you bring into your team as well.

There isnt really a team set up to play in this way at the moment, and the chances of being successful with this tactic would be quite slim in today's game.

• 1 year later...
Stoke... :o

I think that might be a little unfair. They certainly don't mind utilising long balls, but there is a great deal more to their game than long balls alone. Also the type of player Pulis has brought into the club has changed as they've continued to establish themselves. I read statistics that indicated that currently Blackburn are the EPL team most currently enamoured of the long ball.

I don't think i'd personally use Long Ball tactics in FM unless I was managing a relegation certainty with a very limited budget. Even then...

I use this tactic in the lower leagues with a lot of success. If you've got players with severe limitations then there's no point trying to get them trying to play like Brazil.

Just get defenders that can defend, two ball winning central midfielders, two wingers that can cross a ball, and get them to pump the ball in to the box to your two big strikers.

Your central midfielders will need to harrass the oppo. If the opposition are poor then they will lack composure and give the ball away if pressured to do so. Centre midfielders should be on shortish passing to your wingers.

Full backs should harrass the opposition wingers and look to kick them at every opportunity.

I think along with the implementation of a long ball tactic, could be the use of hard tackling and high levels of time wasting. This will look to prevent any flowing play the opposition may look to build. Could be especially effective when managing lower down the leagues, or generally when your up against stronger opposition that will dominate the game. Just be careful not to get players sent off, looking at in-game motivation and toning down tackling accordingly is a good way to do this.

I think that might be a little unfair. They certainly don't mind utilising long balls, but there is a great deal more to their game than long balls alone. Also the type of player Pulis has brought into the club has changed as they've continued to establish themselves. I read statistics that indicated that currently Blackburn are the EPL team most currently enamoured of the long ball.

I don't think i'd personally use Long Ball tactics in FM unless I was managing a relegation certainty with a very limited budget. Even then...

I personally can't look much past the long ball game with big strikers and quick wingers and a guy who can throw it miles myself. And Blackburn certainly use it too.

Archived