Playing without the CD.

Question,

I purchased the box version of Worldwide Soccer Manager 2008 (in the USA) and have been playing it for a while on the desktop computer at home.

I'm about to do quite a bit of traveling for work, and I wanted to play on the road, but having the CD at all times is pretty inconvenient... especially when I want to fire up the game and not have anyone notice (it would be a bit awkward if I was putting the CD in).

I assume there is no non-piracy solution to playing the box version without the disk (correct?)... is the only solution to get the digital download version of the game? Buying the game a second time isn't an issue, but are there any downsides to the digital download version?

Spyware, some sort of cumbersome product validation software (i.e. Sony's rootkit?), or anything else? Do I have to be online to play the game? or is this exactly what I'm looking for?

Question,

I purchased the box version of Worldwide Soccer Manager 2008 (in the USA) and have been playing it for a while on the desktop computer at home.

I'm about to do quite a bit of traveling for work, and I wanted to play on the road, but having the CD at all times is pretty inconvenient... especially when I want to fire up the game and not have anyone notice (it would be a bit awkward if I was putting the CD in).

I assume there is no non-piracy solution to playing the box version without the disk (correct?)... is the only solution to get the digital download version of the game? Buying the game a second time isn't an issue, but are there any downsides to the digital download version?

Spyware, some sort of cumbersome product validation software (i.e. Sony's rootkit?), or anything else? Do I have to be online to play the game? or is this exactly what I'm looking for?

What a pair = outrageous that you should be playing fm instead of working. No wonder the economies of the world are in such a parlance state.

I bet you both work in banking/finance and real estate. Sub=prime fm that's what I say!!!

I blame SI for the world's financial plight... icon_wink.gif

I run a pub .... icon_biggrin.gif

Hardly Banking etc.

Also.... when the customers are like... "the service here is sh!te" .. I'm like...

"yea I know, but theres a really important game on FM coming up"

they then proceed to give the nod of worldwide agreement that FM is in fact, more important that work.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eatontj:

Damn, I thought the digital download would be the perfect solution.

How does it require a CD though, do you have to burn a disk after downloading? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just to clear up, the digital download doesnt require a disc to play.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eatontj:

How does it require a CD though, do you have to burn a disk after downloading? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh. WSM too. I guess digital download would be a perfect idea.!

Well played that man.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Toon07:

Just to clear up, the digital download doesnt require a disc to play. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, that's great news.

Are there any issues with extra software that I would be forced to install, or is it pretty much exactly what I'm looking for?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Toon07:

Just to clear up, the digital download doesnt require a disc to play. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, that's great news.

Are there any issues with extra software that I would be forced to install, or is it pretty much exactly what I'm looking for? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe it depends on the online store you buy it from, but at least for me it was an easy process, no spyware, no extra software (just the thing where you have to enter the product key to activate the download). WWSM is just like FM, at least it has worked great for me.

It is a little irritating having to have the CD in to play. Surely there must be a more sensible, modern solution to piracy?

Many ultra-portable laptops these days come only with USB DVD/CD drives and the fact my laptop does means that if I want to play FM I have to carry the chunky CD drive around.... rather defeating the point of a slim and light laptop! icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> It is a little irritating having to have the CD in to play. Surely there must be a more sensible, modern solution to piracy? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would be better to not have it at all. As soon as a game comes out, it is cracked anyway. The only people it hurts is the geniune customer when they can't play a game because of ridiculous copy protection.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Surely there must be a more sensible, modern solution to piracy? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are.

But the problem is that they're always cracked and outdated in about five seconds. icon_wink.gif

I truly doubt the "requires CD to play" is more annoying for pirates than genuine customers. But for some reason companies all over the world seem to think it's fine to put practices in place to annoy people who've bought the game in order to stop people pirating the thing for all of about 5 miniutes.

It would be nice if the boxed version came with some sort of online validation method.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kristian:

It is a little irritating having to have the CD in to play. Surely there must be a more sensible, modern solution to piracy? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe SI could take a leaf out of Trackmania's book, and only require the CD for validation every few days? When you insert the CD, you're free to run the program as often as you like for the next few days, and then it requires the CD for re-authorisation.

Just... do it without the Starforce. icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dreaded Walrus:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kristian:

It is a little irritating having to have the CD in to play. Surely there must be a more sensible, modern solution to piracy? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe SI could take a leaf out of Trackmania's book, and only require the CD for validation every few days? When you insert the CD, you're free to run the program as often as you like for the next few days, and then it requires the CD for re-authorisation.

Just... do it without the Starforce. icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be... horrible.

I think the solution is to have some sort of internet revalidation at random times. Just make sure it's something that isn't overbearing (it takes multiple fails before forcing you to connect to the internet to continue playing) and runs in the background.

CD protection seems outdated and runs against the flow of progress toward digital media and ultra slim PCs.

But hey, this digital WSM sounds great, so it seems like SI Games is already on the right track. Hope it works.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neji:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dreaded Walrus:

Just... do it without the Starforce. icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be... horrible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't saying it's the best solution for legit consumers such as us: It is worse than not requiring the CD at all, but it's better than SI's current solution of requiring the CD every time you start the program.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lamaros:

I truly doubt the "requires CD to play" is more annoying for pirates than genuine customers. But for some reason companies all over the world seem to think it's fine to put practices in place to annoy people who've bought the game in order to stop people pirating the thing for all of about 5 miniutes.

It would be nice if the boxed version came with some sort of online validation method. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't agree more. I usually download movies, but the other night took the unusual step of renting a DVD. I got all nostalgic when the "Piracy is theft" thing came on, I haven't seen that for ages.

It's amazing that the only people who see the warning against piracy are the ones who have either bought or rented it legally.

I think they should do what Microsoft is doing with Flight Simulator X.

Now, I'll admit that I have no idea what that actually is... I just know it doesn't require the DVDs beyond installation.

Quite nice playing multiple games consecutively and not having to fumble with anything. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neji:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> It is a little irritating having to have the CD in to play. Surely there must be a more sensible, modern solution to piracy? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would be better to not have it at all. As soon as a game comes out, it is cracked anyway. The only people it hurts is the geniune customer when they can't play a game because of ridiculous copy protection. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yea i agree with you mate. it's like people locking their home. Why do they bother? i doubt the lock would have stop the criminal who really determine to break into the houses. they only annoy the people who live in the houses who needs keys to lock and unlock the door whether they go in.

Originally posted by eatontj:

I think the solution is to have some sort of internet revalidation at random times. Just make sure it's something that isn't overbearing (it takes multiple fails before forcing you to connect to the internet to continue playing) and runs in the background.

Some people like myself do not have an internet connection! icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skunner:

Well people who download the game illegally can't get the latest patches until they're cracked either.

So if you'd end up needing to use the disc to play anyway if you were to get the latest patches. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes you can

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by damienroden:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skunner:

Well people who download the game illegally can't get the latest patches until they're cracked either.

So if you'd end up needing to use the disc to play anyway if you were to get the latest patches. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes you can </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And you know this how?

It is a little irritating having to have the CD in to play. Surely there must be a more sensible, modern solution to piracy?

Many ultra-portable laptops these days come only with USB DVD/CD drives and the fact my laptop does means that if I want to play FM I have to carry the chunky CD drive around.... rather defeating the point of a slim and light laptop! icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where are you buying laptops from?

Both my laptops have built in CD/DVD-RW, as do ALL the laptops in the local Toys R Us, I'm sure I saw a laptop with a built in BlueRay player aswell.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by andyinuk:

Would be better to not have it at all. As soon as a game comes out, it is cracked anyway. The only people it hurts is the geniune customer when they can't play a game because of ridiculous copy protection. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yea i agree with you mate. it's like people locking their home. Why do they bother? i doubt the lock would have stop the criminal who really determine to break into the houses. they only annoy the people who live in the houses who needs keys to lock and unlock the door whether they go in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very clever. Difference is that locks deter criminals, crappy copy protection doesn't.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by andyinuk:

yea i agree with you mate. it's like people locking their home. Why do they bother? i doubt the lock would have stop the criminal who really determine to break into the houses. they only annoy the people who live in the houses who needs keys to lock and unlock the door whether they go in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very clever. Difference is that locks deter criminals, crappy copy protection doesn't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so are you proposing BETTER copy protection which will deter criminals, or NO protection at all so everyone can freely copy the games as they want?

No protection would be preferable along with something extra that genuine users would receive to incentivise people to buy the game. They could continue putting Easter eggs into the game but allow the game to be played without a CD.

Let's be honest, it would take most of us 2 minutes to find somewhere that has a fully patched, fully working version of FM08 ready for download. Making a game require a CD is no deterrent. I kinda like what they do with the Easter eggs though icon_smile.gif Those are funny icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dr_pratt:

I've always wondered, if you buy the game from the download sites, then your computer hard drive dies and you buy and install a new drive, do you need to buy another copy of the game or can you re-download it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From my experience with downloadable games (Steam games, Sam & Max season 1, and Penumbra Overture), these games are tied to your account rather than to your hard drive. If I needed to reinstall Penumbra Overture, I can just get the install file again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

I run a pub .... icon_biggrin.gif

Hardly Banking etc.

Also.... when the customers are like... "the service here is sh!te" .. I'm like...

"yea I know, but theres a really important game on FM coming up"

they then proceed to give the nod of worldwide agreement that FM is in fact, more important that work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Easy, set up a "Fantasy" Fantasy Football League among the regulars based on FM08. That way you can play it and not get in any trouble icon_wink.gif.

Failing that, hire a busty barmaid, should do the trick nicely freeing up time for you to play it on the sly.

Question,

Spyware, some sort of cumbersome product validation software (i.e. Sony's rootkit?), or anything else? Do I have to be online to play the game? or is this exactly what I'm looking for? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What store did you get it in? I could not find it anywhere.

Archived