steam is so poo

I just loaded up my pc and listneing to todays football on the radio, while doing so thought i will play fm2010 demo, but oh no i cant.

I click on the link for the demo on my desktop and it says steam is already running, fair enough, i click on the link for steam and says it again. i run my cursor over the steam icon thats on my toolbar and it pops up with a window, steam is currently updating, only 55% done and its going so so slow

conclusion because i am using steam i cant play the fm demo. Had trouble last year with steam, seems alot more trouble than its worth

Steam can be quite a pain in the ass but why did you install the demo using steam ? You have the choice to not to that.

Well for me I've tried every other download - torrent, Mirror, loads and none have been successful. Steam is my last chance - and after last year I bl00dy hate steam :mad:

EDIT: Stone me - after the *.dll problem I've actually got the demo running through Steam - 4 days of tearing my hair out but I'm there. Er, thanks Steam ....

well i have re booted my pc a few times now to get steam working and it keeps getting stuck in updating, is there a reason for this?

I have already played the demo via steam and it just started updating today out of the blue! I also tried doing direct downloads and all i get is an option to download via frostwire, deleted frostwire but still cant rememeber how to download link

Steam is an excellent platform - it's not the program's fault you've not let it update itself before now!

Remember: to play FM without steam - go to C: (or whatever hard drive you put steam on)/Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/Common/ and in there will be the FM10 demo folder- go into there and double click the exe. I feel this advise will be repeated many times in the coming weeks - spread the word :)

Remember: to play FM without steam - go to C: (or whatever hard drive you put steam on)/Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/Common/ and in there will be the FM10 demo folder- go into there and double click the exe. I feel this advise will be repeated many times in the coming weeks - spread the word :)

Unfortunately, that isn't the case this year. FM is using Steams copy protection system, so it needs to be running to play it.

Seriously why do you use steam and then complain about it. What else do you expect from a service that could shut up shop at anytime it deems fit.

I really have little sympathy with people who support online downloads, they will be the end of the box in the shop one day and we will all suffer.

Seriously why do you use steam and then complain about it. What else do you expect from a service that could shut up shop at anytime it deems fit.

I really have little sympathy with people who support online downloads, they will be the end of the box in the shop one day and we will all suffer.

for the majority of us, Steam is a useful, convenient tool.

The majority of people who complain about it are either computer illiterate (in this day and age that's just ridiculous) or they are being impatient.

I've used steam to play many games for about 4/5 years now and it's so easy and simple to use, people just seem to hate ANYTHING new that means they cant enter a disk and click, technology advances.

Why will we all suffer if having to drive to a shop, queue, drive home and then begin installation stops? this is the equivalent to people picking up the box in a shop, seeing a queue and throwing the game down and complaining to the nearest person.

I just think you will end up killing the game in the box and then we will be left with draconian DRM and what not forced upon us. Its like that England game they showed on the internet only, so many idiots paid to see it that it was a success. That means in future the next away game will be only on the internet.

If people used their heads a little they would be in control of these things themselves.

If people used their heads a little they would be in control of these things themselves.

One and a half million people are using Steam worldwide. Right now.

13,000 of them are playing FM09. Right now. So clearly some people seem well in control of things.

And that's just the people who are using Steam in Online mode. Connect in Offline mode and you can play all the games you want without any fuss beyond simply launching Steam in the first place. If that's the only DRM I have to put up with (and needing to have the CD in the drive is a form of DRM itself), I'm perfectly happy to continue using Steam.

If last year is anything to go by, FM10 will be pre-loaded (already installed, minus the executable) and ready to play at midnight of the game's release. Patches will install automatically and if, for whatever reason, I have to format my hard drive and re-install everything, I won't have to hunt around for the most up-to-date patch online and download it at a crappy rate: Steam sorts that out for me.

To the OP

That error indicates that some files are missing from the game

Right-Click FM 2010 in your Steam Games list and select "Properties" and then click the "Local Files" tab and then click the "Verify integrity of game cache" button. Let it run and do its work. If somethings missing from the game wich it needs in order to run, it will download it and fix the problem

Starto maybe people are just too dumb to learn new things:rolleyes: or lazy to do that

and their self indulgence , any change will make them complain like hell

Its such shame how people are so selfish in 2009, such a sad world. the "I'm alright Jack" attitude is running right through this thread and it sickens me. I downloaded the game through Steam as I wanted the better version. Now I've spent over an hour trying to launch it, my dongle supplier (I can't afford normal Broadband) informed me there were going to be problems this week as they are doing work in my area. However I launched the game this morning along with the tedious update, why then, when I want to launch it again this evening am I subjected to more updates? I find this intrusive, rude and downright wrong. As I alluded to at the start of my post all because you may be able to get on with Steam some people are having problems so for you to come on here and say that you are fine is'nt really the point is it?

@blueowl firstly my original post didnt call steam poo someone adjusted it lol. Secondly my internet connection is fine very very rarely does it break down, so i find that statement wrong. I was only asking for advise rather than anything else.

@Os i couldnt agree more about the attitiude of alot of people on here, wouldnt say everyone in fact majority were very good but too many "alright jacks"

@methman99 i tried using steam for fm09 and had a hell of alot of problems then as well was releived that i could get everything steam offered via shops.

@aim_less the problem i had was that i couldnt open up steam in anyway whatsoever so i couldnt do any of that. but thank you anyway

@turnip i have turned steam onto off line work now and hopefully have no more issues.

@hoss_1873 very good

@walsh i find your post rather offensive, I am not the most computer literate i would admit but you seem to imply that people that dont know are thick or something and thats plain wrong. Im not an expert as i say but i have a rough idea around my computer.

Secondly i dont think you read the OP properly as there was no mention of not understanding computers or anything of the like. rather than be constructive and try to be helpful because someone does not understand something you start having a go. Whats the point of posting if your not gonna do anything other than what you have?

Also im always intersted in new things and learning how to do things, i liked the idea of steam for fm09 and welcomed it, but it never agreed with me, therefore i tried not to use it unless i had too. Do not make accusations when you nothing about people.

@taytaz, i think it did that but is it usual to spend over two hours to update? if that is usual then i have learnt something new, if it is unusual then i was right to post in the first place.

@everyone, thanks for those who gave advise, i rebooted a few times everytime the icon on my dashboard showed that the update had frozen and showed different % completion rates. Im gueesing that the whole time it was updating but was just showing as being frozen. still took a very long time to update tho and did find it frustrating that i couldnt play fm2010 the whole time

Drevil my comment about steam being only as good as your internet was about download speeds, I have been using Steam for about 5 years and for four of these years had a 2MB connection and it used to take me about 3 hours to download counter-strike source each time, Since then I have been upgrated too 10MB and now download it in around one hour.

I apologize that I couldn't help you in my post I just feel some people are too sharp to blame others for there problems , Just as some people believe some are too quick to pull this "I'm alright jack" attitude that you agree with.

Also drevil STOP rebooting it every time it appears to freeze. Most programs appear to "freeze" every so often - and they can be in this state for quite some period of time. Chances are by rebooting it mid update you have corrupted the files and this is why it is not working!

@blueowl To be honest i think one hour is a long time to download a game, thats not being impatient either, but i think thats a backward steps from buying it in a store. Also isnt that laziness not leaving your room to get some fresh air and buying it? I dont agree with the "im alright jack" attitude at all, sorry if i wasent clearer on this.

@Rathen Im neither cheap, impatient a little maybe but dont have a crappy pc either so your theory is wrong, again assumptions! The rebooting did actually work. I literally sat there and didnt use a thing and nothing worked. Then rebooted and it worked almost straight away all of a sudden. So my idea to reboot also worked. Once i got it to work i could sign it and took steam offline and can now play.

Right I'm really losing it now. After 4 DAYS waiting for Steam to download the demo, I got 4 hours out of it before it tells me it needs to update and that will take 10 hours. WHY you B4stards, WHY????

And so what if YOUR internet connection is fine and lovely. Not all of us have access to the latest technology that graces SI Towers.

Right I'm really losing it now. After 4 DAYS waiting for Steam to download the demo, I got 4 hours out of it before it tells me it needs to update and that will take 10 hours. WHY you B4stards, WHY????

And so what if YOUR internet connection is fine and lovely. Not all of us have access to the latest technology that graces SI Towers.

then why even contemplate steam then you idiot??

Downloaded Steam last year on my work and home PC. Deleted it as it disturbed so many other functions and the advertisng etc got on my nerves. Then I did the same mistake again to download FM 2010 demo. As I write, I am 77% downloaded from another server. As soon as I finish, it'll bye bye Steam. I imagine I'll be able to download the Steam based saved game where I am already into the season onto the new dowload. But even if I can't, I'll prefer starting again than living with Steam.

Make that 83% - nearly finished

Never had a problem with steam tbh. The only time i use it is when i play FM, it is set so that does not start when windows starts up so there is no chance of it messing about with any other functions. I use it in off-line mode to start FM. I'm not a boffin so i dont know why other people have so many problems with it. Change the settings on it to suit you maybe?

all the people having problems with steam taking to long to download the game and moaning about steam its not steams fault blame your ISP for giving you a cruddy speed i had the demo within 25 mins on my 12meg line and not had a problem with it. To all those having problems try doing a speed test http://speedtest.net/ then you will understand why it has taken you so long

Steam is by far the best distribution platform I've ever used, and I've been around a while :) My favourite parts being that it automatically distributes patches and you don't have to faff around with DVDs.

The only time I think I've ever had a problem with it is when my ISP has been producing bad speeds. A little patience is all you need.

At the same time, people choosing Steam when they know they have flaky internet connections (including the lad in this thread using a USB 3G dongle) really have to evaluate their own decision making powers.

Archived