Target man supply

Which team plays more attractive football, the one that plays ball "to feet" or the one that makes their target men "run onto ball"? Just out of curiosity because I haven't seen much of a difference when I tried both targetman deliveries in FM 2006-2009. I remember reading some kind of tactical bible for FM 2009 where it suggested you play the ball into feet if you wanted to play attacking football, but I think the opposite is true in real life. Surely playing the ball into feet involves playing with your back to goal and staying static?

I believe this depends on the player's attributes. If you play "run onto ball" the striker (I assume) needs to have good pace in order to run onto a ball and break away from the defenders. Playing "to feet" the player needs to have good passing and ball control in order to hold up the ball and release the other attacking options. So I think both styles can support attractive football, you just have to pick the one which will be more suitable to your player's attributes and style of play.

I don't think playing ball to feet involves playing with your back to goal, this is more the role of a true "target man", someone who can receive lofted balls or passes in general and either head the ball down to supporting players from the midfield or pass to them. This is where they stay up field and relatively static in their position until you retain possession and make an attack on goal Playing "ball to feet" would imply receiving the ball to feet and making a forward run with the possibility to pass it off.

But again, choose the style of play that would best reflect the players that you have. If you try to force a system that your players aren't comfortable with, they won't be very fluid or attractive, but if you play to their strengths, no matter what the system is, they will play stylish football. Hope that helps a little :)

If you play the ball for the striker to run on to then he will be ahead of everyone else and will only have the choice to bear down on goal. This is good for counter attacking tactics with a fast striker, where you suit deep to soak up the pressure then spring forward to catch the opposition on the break while there are still gaps in their defence. This is a modern way of playing the game where the striker is the one that runs with the ball and creates his own chances rather than a winger running and crossing.

If you play into feet, it allows him to link up more with his team mates. It allows midfielders to join the attack and even get beyond the forward line. in short, you can attack with three, four or five men rather than one - hence it is more attacking and definitely more attractive.

Archived