Too many long shots

My players just won't stop shooting from distance (and they don't have the attributes to match). I've set everyone's creative freedom and long shots to zero (just to see how it goes) and still most of my shots are from distance. Anyone else finding this?

My players just won't stop shooting from distance (and they don't have the attributes to match). I've set everyone's creative freedom and long shots to zero (just to see how it goes) and still most of my shots are from distance. Anyone else finding this?

I wouldn't call myself a tactical genius by any stretch of the imagination but they're not the only two factors that would influence a player to shoot from distance. Try looking at the rigidity of your formation and options available to players with the ball. Are your forwards making enough space for themselves and are there options on the wings.

It may be that the opposition are playing a very controlling game and closing down your players so that they feel they need to get shots on target faster, hence shooting on sight. You would have to circumvent them and get the ball moving about more. They'll tire faster than you.

There is a lot to take in to account before you can say there are too many long shots.

I wouldn't call myself a tactical genius by any stretch of the imagination but they're not the only two factors that would influence a player to shoot from distance. Try looking at the rigidity of your formation and options available to players with the ball. Are your forwards making enough space for themselves and are there options on the wings.

It may be that the opposition are playing a very controlling game and closing down your players so that they feel they need to get shots on target faster, hence shooting on sight. You would have to circumvent them and get the ball moving about more. They'll tire faster than you.

There is a lot to take in to account before you can say there are too many long shots.

I think, since I'm Rangers, that most teams play defensively against me so perhaps there are just too many defenders. In my last game 12 of my 16 shots where from distance despite setting players not to do so. I'm top of the league so some of them go in.

The problem is I don't like seeing so many long shots. I just wondered if others had the problem. Thanks for replying, it lets me know it's probably the way my opponents are condensing space around their penalty areas that's causing my players to shoot from distance 75% of the time.

Again, no tactical genius, but have you tried the touchline shout "Work into box" or "Pump into box"? Should persuade your players to get close before taking shots.

The problem there is I prefer the tactical sliders and touchlione shouts are not allowed.

Um.... no. My players are shooting and scoring from all over the place.

The problem there is I prefer the tactical sliders and touchlione shouts are not allowed.

What do you mean by 'not allowed'? Is this your choice to not allow touchline shouts in your game because you prefer FM's old way of doing things, or does an option you have chosen take away touchline shouts?

I never would have said touchline shouts take something away from the tactics model, in fact I would have said they were a bonus that should have been in the game before...along with the sliders.

In the past I was never too discriminant against the sliders. I felt they did their job well enough. I have only played one game of FM10 but I love the simplicity of the new tactics model and I feel it gets across the devising of tactics in a very believable way.

I guess what I am saying is don't hamper yourself by refusing to use the tools on offer. It's you choice of course, but maybe...just maybe you'd get the best results with the best tools.

If I have misinterpreted your comments then I apologise, but it does sound to me as if you are putting a part of the game aside to conform to your preferred playstyle.

Having had a bit of time testing the ME I would say that it's more because your your players don't have too many options in the final third,on the other hand first time shots especially from long distance seems to have been tweaked a bit and you will tend to see more of this than the earlier ME versions

What do you mean by 'not allowed'? Is this your choice to not allow touchline shouts in your game because you prefer FM's old way of doing things, or does an option you have chosen take away touchline shouts?

I never would have said touchline shouts take something away from the tactics model, in fact I would have said they were a bonus that should have been in the game before...along with the sliders.

In the past I was never too discriminant against the sliders. I felt they did their job well enough. I have only played one game of FM10 but I love the simplicity of the new tactics model and I feel it gets across the devising of tactics in a very believable way.

I guess what I am saying is don't hamper yourself by refusing to use the tools on offer. It's you choice of course, but maybe...just maybe you'd get the best results with the best tools.

If I have misinterpreted your comments then I apologise, but it does sound to me as if you are putting a part of the game aside to conform to your preferred playstyle.

It was because I went back to the old way as you say (the touchline shouts become unavailable). However I have decided I will need to try the new way a bit more. I may just need to get used to it.

It was because I went back to the old way as you say (the touchline shouts become unavailable). However I have decided I will need to try the new way a bit more. I may just need to get used to it.

Yeah I think you should- I had the same attitude as you when they 1st came into FML but I found that my tactics, which were beating others pre-wizard, were now losing. I changed formation using the wizard and now was winning again.

Reading the tactical part of the forum gave me a few insights- if you found something bad happening too much- then there is a flaw in your tactics. Too many long shots is either too many players with high long shots or inability to get the ball closer.

This ME also likes you to change shape in-match every so often EG 4-4-2 standard to 4-4-2 diamond, but what change and when is dependant on the individual matches and opposition tactics. The old "classic" slider system is to inefficient for that:)

Archived