your son

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to be friends with Brian Easton. He plays for Hamilton Accademicals and was born in glasgow. Went to St.Brides Primary and Holyrood Secondary. I used to play football with him for my primary school team and he was always the same, wanting to be a defender.

He turns out to be good for championship sides after a few seasons.

icon_biggrin.gif

I've only had a son come through once, on an online game I was playing with a few friends of mine, so I didn't get to see him develop fully. My initial coach report said he had the potential to be as good as Steed Malbranque though.. not sure how I feel about that icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Kassien:

icon_biggrin.gif

I've only had a son come through once, on an online game I was playing with a few friends of mine, so I didn't get to see him develop fully. My initial coach report said he had the potential to be as good as Steed Malbranque though.. not sure how I feel about that icon_frown.gif

Lol

after about 10 seasons i had a regen player come through with the same last name as me. not sure if he was my son though, i wasnt one of his fav personal.

maybe if someone had a unique last name like skywalker or something daft like that to prove it.

It most definitely is real, afraid I can't provide a screenshot though. You have no input on anything to do with the player, he just appears in your under 18's with the rest of the promoted youth players at the beginning of the season, only way you know that he's your son is the fact you'll be in his favoured personnel.

Originally posted by Kassien:

It most definitely is real, afraid I can't provide a screenshot though. You have no input on anything to do with the player, he just appears in your under 18's with the rest of the promoted youth players at the beginning of the season, only way you know that he's your son is the fact you'll be in his favoured personnel.

...And the same second name, i presume?

Originally posted by WIGAN!!:

after about 10 seasons i had a regen player come through with the same last name as me. not sure if he was my son though, i wasnt one of his fav personal.

maybe if someone had a unique last name like skywalker or something daft like that to prove it.

Maybe you neglected him as a child or ran away from home when he was a child?

Originally posted by DietSpam:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kassien:

...And the same second name, i presume? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well yeah, obviously

Originally posted by gcormack:

ok just wanted to ask has anyone had a son on the game that actually turned out to be good?

Mine was an england international at 19!

It took around 5-6 years at the same club before he turned up.

If Neji wants some proof i've previously posted a screen shot here, which as my surname isn't in the DB, means that he is definitely my son.

Link to thread

The screenshot is towards the end.

If Neji wants some proof

I didnt really mean that it was false as I've seen SI post about it but I like to say its a myth because it has never happened to me. Still waiting icon_frown.gif

I was excited to see that Ched got his "son" by constant reloading of the June 18th/19th.

I should reach the new regen date this week, guess I will be doing a shed load of re-loading so I can finally get my son through the ranks.

I think I may also get my new stadium announced this season as well, fingers crossed for it to be named after me.

i'm curious about this as well, specifically in terms of nationality. i'm american but typically load up several european leagues to see if i can get hired on to one, and in my current game i've managed in italy for around 10 years or so. my name isn't in the database so should be easy to tell which youth player is my son, but just curious if his nationality will turn up as american as well.

time to finish out the season and do some reloading and find out icon_biggrin.gif

I'm still not convinced its your son, as much as it's a regen that has taken your name randomly from game. I sincerely hope not anyway. It's sooooooooooo gimicky, sounds like something EA would do! What's the point?

I had a son once. He was crap. Also had the assman as fave person. icon_frown.gif (Wife could've cheated, as he looked nothing like me icon_frown.gif )

Ched - I don't know of you knew this, or cared, but since our little ........ "debate" a few months back - I put you on my ignore list. And until now, hadn't looked at one of your posts. Just like to let you know, I'd probably been a little hasty, and removed you from the list. icon14.gif - I've been reading around some of your posts, and you're a very informative poster here, and the forum is lucky to have you. icon14.gif

Originally posted by Box:

I'm still not convinced its your son, as much as it's a regen that has taken your name randomly from game. I sincerely hope not anyway. It's sooooooooooo gimicky, sounds like something EA would do! What's the point?

The game pulls names from a list, it'll have a pool of first names and a pool of surnames for any specific nationality. For example, the surname "Hdfgdfjgdfgjjjj" would not be in any database, yet if I were to register a manager with that name and reload enough times, a son would come through with that surname, and obviously it has to be a son because the name is not in the database.

SI have confirmed it's in the game. Sure it's gimicky, but it's nice to feel an attachment to a newgen player. I kinda miss regens.

It's sooooooooooo gimicky,

That gimmicky, eh? Well I have to say I quite like the feature, its realistic as pro footballers often have their kids playing football. Just waiting for it to happen for me now icon_biggrin.gif.

i dont think its gimmicky, its not like you take him out for a macdonalds after the game, hes just there, perfectly reasonable, they could even take it as far as news items and still it would be ok imo. its not like it is a feature you can choose rither, its just happens randonly and not that often..

I'm not convinced it is meant to be your son lol Its stupid. Why? What is the point? What about those of us who have REAL son's?

The reason its stupid is because, in REAL LIFE, when a manager has a son a lot of the time he never lives up to reputation and he'll be nurtured and pushed into a team at the expense of some other good palyers just because the manager loves his boy! (Paul Daglish springs to mind!).

Having a random regen spawn as your son is ridiculous. You wont have any bias towards him and therefore if he is rubbish, you are just as likely to ship him out and forget about him as you are any other rubbish regen.

Plus I would think you would be required to have a much greater input to having a son, for example getting an option for his name!

It's basically just taking the game from a realism sim to a work of pure over the top fiction - go and watch "Goal" or "footballers wives" if you want a storyboard drama version of the beautiful game!

Otherwise why not have your brother as the kit man or your wife as the tea lady? It's absolutely ridiculous! laughably bad, I cant believe some of the kids on here are buying into it! Please, go and play FIFA manager, you will love it! lol

like i said its only a little easter egg that pops up randomly, jut would make me chuckle, no need to grab the pitchfork and torches and head down to SI HQ. personally if he was rubish i would get rid, i wouldnt ust keep him there for the sake of it, its quite realistic has a lot of managers do have sons in football.

Originally posted by The Lambs:

I should reach the new regen date this week, guess I will be doing a shed load of re-loading so I can finally get my son through the ranks.

Location: Spending too much time on FM and not enough time with the wife

Er, mate, if you want a son I suggest you focus on the 'gen' before the 'regen', if you know what I mean icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by turn it upto 11:

personally if he was rubish i would get rid, i wouldnt ust keep him there for the sake of it, its quite realistic has a lot of managers do have sons in football.

That's exactly why it's unrealistic and pointless because it has no baring on the game at all, as relatives within the game would have at a real club. It's just one step behind being able to select which car you imagine you drive to work in, or selecting your match day suit in game - pointless crap.

I think it's more a case or a random regen taking the managers name int eh same way he could have taken your assistant manager's name.

I'd like to see these "son'" personal details, such as place of birth, favored personnel etc. I think its people just reading too much into the regen system.

By all means, if you want a son in there 'pretend' you have son in the game, but it shouldn't (and probably isn't) actually in there .

What SHOULD be in there is a field for each person int eh database linking REAL relatives, other than favorite players.

Originally posted by Stomalomalus:

I dont think Ill ever know if my son appears in game. I mean with a name like Smith...

lol

Don't worry, that just makes it easier to identify your son regens! You can 'pretend' any half decent regen with the surname Smith is your son! Problem sorted!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stomalomalus:

I dont think Ill ever know if my son appears in game. I mean with a name like Smith...

lol

Don't worry, that just makes it easier to identify your son regens! You can 'pretend' any half decent regen with the surname Smith is your son! Problem sorted! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i dont think theres any pretending, if you put your name as 'hjjjkilikij' then someone turns up in your own youth tea and has you as favoured personell its pretty clear it is inteded to be your son even though it has no effect it is a good little addition imo. and before you say it is coincidence, people have shown the same thing with other teams, wengers son at arsenal frank rikards son at barca etc. theres no need to go in a huff about it.

If thats the case them, I had a half brother, a second cousin (through marriage) and my ex-milk man all come through my youth squad in the game. All of which had diffrent surnames, but they were all defiantely meant to be relatives/associates!

They were all rubbish and I sold them all and never checked on the progress of them again.

lol

come to thnk of it, i had a son on fm07 too. i was in his favoured personel straight from the start. then i noticed how crap he was and free transfered him.

there's nothing wrong with this addition in fm08, after all, you could have a new stadium named after you in fm07.

i dont think theres any pretending, if you put your name as 'hjjjkilikij' then someone turns up in your own youth tea and has you as favoured personell

Your name is just as regenerately as any person in the game. Any player that comes through your youth team is likely to have you as a favored staff.

its pretty clear it is inteded to be your son

It IS just coincidence or it would be more more common.

Originally posted by Klimowicz:

there's nothing wrong with this addition in fm08, after all, you could have a new stadium named after you in fm07.

The stadium naming is an honor inst it based on a successful career witha particular club? What honour is having your son crop up in the game? Does it celebrate your fertility with the local WAG's?

It IS just coincidence or it would be more more common.

so (cant remember thier actual names) billy wenger at arsenal, roy rikard at barca and johnny hjkjgjkillki at man u are all just coincidence becuase the names are in the database and randomly assigned to newgens. i think not.

it hasnt been put in as a major feature as that would be too cheesy, its a tounge in cheek easter egg, that is wh it isnt that common, probaly happens about the same amount as actual real life managers having sons that play football and not just live off the fame of thier fathers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

i dont think theres any pretending, if you put your name as 'hjjjkilikij' then someone turns up in your own youth tea and has you as favoured personell

Your name is just as regenerately as any person in the game. Any player that comes through your youth team is likely to have you as a favored staff.

It IS just coincidence or it would be more more common. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1/ a "son" only appeared after reloading the 18th/19th june many times. In reality it will not happen in most peoples games unless they play for 30+ seasons - therefore it is not a common enough occurance to make it worth you sulking over.

2/ SI have confirmed that the player is your "son". So regardless of your opinion, it isn't just a coincidence, the reason it isn't more common is that it doesn't happen often IRL.

Sorry to burst your bubble but you are wrong on pretty much every count. It's a feature that does no harm - if you don't like it, free transfer him. SI aren't going to bin an easter egg just because someone starts sulking about it.

Nepenthez - np, i know how objectionable i can be, and know many other people will have "listed" me. Glad to see i changed your mind though. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Klimowicz:

The stadium naming is an honor inst it based on a successful career witha particular club? What honour is having your son crop up in the game? Does it celebrate your fertility with the local WAG's? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the example of the stadium being named after a manager was just an example of the game incorporating your name into the game, like it would with a regen in your youth squad.

although your response did make me laugh a little...

Originally posted by Ched:

1/ a "son" only appeared after reloading the 18th/19th june many times. In reality it will not happen in most peoples games unless they play for 30+ seasons - therefore it is not a common enough occurance to make it worth you sulking over.

2/ SI have confirmed that the player is your "son". So regardless of your opinion, it isn't just a coincidence, the reason it isn't more common is that it doesn't happen often IRL.

Where is the post from SI regarding sons? You say they confirmed it but don't offer me a link. Since no official info was forthcoming in this thread or other similar threads (that I had viewed), and the fact that it seems a bit sad (even pathetic), I had made the presumption that this was utter myth and I will remain so until I see an offical response.

Upon seeing official confirmation of this I will glady take it on board as fact, but I will still be of the opinion it's a bit of a naff inclusion.

Sorry to burst your bubble but you are wrong on pretty much every count. It's a feature that does no harm - if you don't like it, free transfer him. SI aren't going to bin an easter egg just because someone starts sulking about it

As for sulking about it, - hardly! Nor do I think it harms anyone. I just find it really amusing that it's given so much focus, to the point where people would constantly reload games to generate a regen that could possibly be their son! Come on!

Surely its easier just to add a fictional son in the DB yourself if you are that desperate to have an in game dynasty! You could even make your son(s) the greatest footballer ever to live if you so wished.

What 'easter eggs' can we expect next?

An unlockable white Armanie suit that you can earn if you win the FA cup 10 times?

A new set of gold clubs perhaps, signed by tiger woods himself, for securing the title in your first season?

Next you will be asking for items to be included into the game to spend your in-game earnings on.

Where is the post from SI regarding sons? You say they confirmed it but don't offer me a link. Since no official info was forthcoming in this thread or other similar threads (that I had viewed), and the fact that it seems a bit sad (even pathetic), I had made the presumption that this was utter myth and I will remain so until I see an offical response.

Im 99% certain I have seen SI confirm it. Unfortunately, that post has been deleted as I searched for it. I found a link to where SI said it but got an error.

Im 99% certain I have seen SI confirm it. Unfortunately, that post has been deleted as I searched for it. I found a link to where SI said it but got an error.

Convenient icon_wink.gif lol

If it is true, then fair enough. Just would prefer to see it in black and white because it doesn't seem like something SI would do and sounds more like a FM myth to me.

Archived