Conceding 4 goals from 30 yards

1. Quality of keeper.

2. Tactical settings and their effect on the probability of a long shot chance being created and being successful.

3. Bad luck re the random element of FM.

A poor long shot attribute doesn't necessarily mean they will never score a long shot. The combination of the above 3 points means they did.

Can you post some screenshots of the exact moment when the shot was taken? Or host the pkm.

originally posted by 03bault:-

Even so regardless of tactics players with 8 and 9 for long shots shouldnt score 4 in a game. Fair enough they score 1 or 2 on a good day - but 4 is unrealistic.

I generally think in the same precise manner but I've learned to treat it like what it is, a simulation. When all of the factors outlined above fall into place any player is capable of banging in a long shot. I've seen it for me and against me. Attributes give you an overall average likelihood of success but low attributes doesn't mean the probability of success drops to 0%.

Also if like me (and from reading the tactics forum alot of FMers) you tend to set long shots to rarely for most players, then you are more likely to see the crap attribute AI players bang in a long shot against you than seeing your own crap attribute players do the same. Opposition instructions can also have an effect.

The fact that all 4 happened in the same match suggests the combination of

1. your tactics vs their tactics

2. bad luck

3. in match morale effects (goalkeepers drops, guy who scored increases making the probability of him doing it again more likely)

Separating out these factors is the hardest part of FM. A look at the circumstances of each goal will help to identify if the factors are within your control i.e. tactics, but because they are defensive factors changes to these can impact on the attacking performance of your tactic. So you have to decide if you are willing to accept the defensive downside because of the attacking upside.

Also as Swindon69's post shows the decision you make to limit long shot opportunities can make other chance types more likely. His suggestions will make blocking of long shots more likely but will also cause your team to get dragged out of position and leave space for through balls in behind your defense. It's a balancing act that is difficult to get right, and getting it right depends on how the opposition is set up so a one stop solution won't always fit the bill.

Archived