anyone else finding...

I find it's best to start off with a simple 4-4-2. Don't change anything. Play a number of friendlies - tweaking the tactic every time, using your assistants feedback as to what players should and should not be doing. In 15-20 games you'll be happier with your tactic, and you'll know more about your players.

My top tip is to pick a team you know really well - tactically.

I remember when we got the first version of the new system in FML, I was bewildered - and it was more limited then. I had my first go with my beta world team, a bunch of no-hopers I didn't know. I didn't have a clue how to get them to play.

When the new system landed in my live GW with my regular side, I knew how I wanted the team to play and could get the best out of them with the new system, suddenly it all felt much more intuitive. In FM10, I automatically know how to set up my Blades side as I know the team well in real life.

Like FM09, just play to your best players' strengths.

If you have two smallish strikers available (eg, Defoe and Keane) don't set one as a target man. If your left winger is left footed, telling him to cut inside and shoot probably isn't the best idea. If your MC's can't tackle, a hard-tackling anchor man will get you a bunch of yellow cards. Slow defenders? Don't play a "high" defensive line.

My top tip is to pick a team you know really well - tactically.

I remember when we got the first version of the new system in FML, I was bewildered - and it was more limited then. I had my first go with my beta world team, a bunch of no-hopers I didn't know. I didn't have a clue how to get them to play.

When the new system landed in my live GW with my regular side, I knew how I wanted the team to play and could get the best out of them with the new system, suddenly it all felt much more intuitive. In FM10, I automatically know how to set up my Blades side as I know the team well in real life.

Excellent tip. Also have a good look at your players stats, PM etc and think how this could be relayed in the tactics. Read through the descriptions of each setting and make an educated decision rather than guess. It takes longest the first time but it becomes easier.

Archived