Who designed the interface?

Because usability is atrocious.

1. Why is the continue button all the way in the top right so far away from the back/forward buttons?

2. When you click on league table tab, it doesn't actually take you to the league table but just to the league page. Whats the point of saying league table? Just make one league page button while you're at it.

3. You can't check player statistics or form without pressing two extra buttons now. May be small things to some but when you're someone like me who constantly checks these things its annoying.

4. Whats the point of managing subscriptions when it doesn't even go into your inbox. I was getting excited for this feature because i thought i would no longer miss out on important news in my inbox. But ala it doesn't even show up and you would still miss out on it if you don't check manually.

5. When will they learn that white skin is bad on the eye when most players are staring at it for 2-3 hours a day.

6. Icon placements - why the hell is it all at the top? Side bars are not in anymore? Now i have 3 rows of things on top of another row on the button can it get anymore confusing? Hopefully someone designs a skin thats actually usable soon.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the 'white' skin. I sometimes think maybe people have their contrast, brightness etc settings horribly wrong, or have excessive light shining on their screen, because it's certainly not painful, difficult or in any way horrible to look at IMO. It looks sleek, classy and very very nice to me.

They keep changing the layout for every FM and there is no need to do so.

They should concentrate more on the work under the bonnet rather than tying to dress it prettily (which they have failed to do this year)

FM 9 interface >> FM 10 interface.

FM 10 is just too large and blocky.

Furthermore, if they feel that they have to change the interface every year because the old one "wasn't good enough last year", then i suggest they are employing the wrong people. They've had about three major bites at the cherry now and the consensus is very much far from overwhelming.

I have to admit the new interface is certainly different & it will take some getting used to. But then all those who played CM games had to become familar with the new FM interface. So when you do become familar with the new layout, your grievanaces will deminish. Well here's to hoping...

• SI Staff

It's the same every time something is changed. You get the "OMG it's different" knee-jerk reaction before people have given it a chance and got used to doing things a bit differently.

I'm not saying it's perfect but the complaints have been minimal compared to previous UI changes which is good.

Oh, and if you don't like the white skin then you can change to the dark skin. And if you activate through Steam then you will be able to download the FM 2009 skin so everyone should be catered for.

But change is not always for the better!

I'll see if I can get the demo installed and do a usability study of some sort, but I think the OP raises good questions about how "League Table" doesn't give you a league table, for example.

That said, I don't particularly care much about league pages - just the table. News and such is secondary to me.

Oh, and if you don't like the white skin then you can change to the dark skin. And if you activate through Steam then you will be able to download the FM 2009 skin so everyone should be catered for.

Ter, will there be issues with the 09 skin being posted on these forums for non Steam users? I can't imagine I'd want to use it, but hypothetically would I be able to get hold of the skin if I didn't activate with Steam, or would there be exclusivity issues prohibiting it?

• SI Staff
But change is not always for the better!

I'll see if I can get the demo installed and do a usability study of some sort, but I think the OP raises good questions about how "League Table" doesn't give you a league table, for example.

That said, I don't particularly care much about league pages - just the table. News and such is secondary to me.

Those are things we would like to have logged in the Bugs Forum so that we can look into them

new interface far too complicated, pressing several buttons too find what you actually wanted to find is annoying. Blockyness of the buttons and tabs are rediculous. it just seems to me as though they have complicated every tab possible on the interface.

2009 was perfect i thought easy to follow understand without overcomplicating things like the new interface.

a big dissapointment im affraid to say. Had high hopes aswell si :(

• Members+
They keep changing the layout for every FM and there is no need to do so.

They should concentrate more on the work under the bonnet rather than tying to dress it prettily (which they have failed to do this year)

FM 9 interface >> FM 10 interface.

FM 10 is just too large and blocky.

Furthermore, if they feel that they have to change the interface every year because the old one "wasn't good enough last year", then i suggest they are employing the wrong people. They've had about three major bites at the cherry now and the consensus is very much far from overwhelming.

This is the first major change in the interface since FM2005, we don't change it just for the sake of changing it (FM2008 and FM2009 were almost identical).

The old interface had a lot of usability problems, and it really couldn't be taken much further. So we had a look at what the game has evolved into and built a new interface on top of it. Overall the response in usability studies and on the forums has very positive, especially considering how big of a change it is. While it's not perfect yet, I think the response shows that we're heading in the right direction.

Give it a chance and take some time to get used to it. If you still don't like it, report specific issue in the bugs forum so we can improve on it.

Well it shouldn't be this way. I pressed it once and thought my computer was just slow and i just kept waiting and waiting then i press again and viola! Its obviously a bug deal with it.

Wait.. it's unresponsive and you assume it's your computer's fault. You wait and try again, and it works, and that's a bug? :confused:

:rolleyes:

It's the same every time something is changed. You get the "OMG it's different" knee-jerk reaction before people have given it a chance and got used to doing things a bit differently.

I'm not saying it's perfect but the complaints have been minimal compared to previous UI changes which is good.

Ter, will the steam 09 skin be the same layout, with tree menu etc, as the 09 game or just the same colourwise?

What about the people buying the cd? Will they be able to download this FM2009 skin on SI or partners sites at some point?

What's broken? How do you know you didn't misclick, or simply, as I said, the game was unresponsive and probably still processing?

:confused:

Because the game runs smoothly everywhere else except after half time and full time when i have to press team talk TWICE. This isn't just one game. Its happening in every game.

I use the dark skin and for most part likes it.

However there are some extra clicks added for no particular reason.

My pet hate right now is right-click player -> training -> Rest is now right-click -> try to find training -> rememeber now it's part of squad -> training -> Rest ...

Why is training part of squad? Reserves/First team uses the same training schedule anyways so it's nothing to do with squad status.

Especially when I just want to rest someone.

Other than that, the forward/backward button confused me for awhile..

The rest seems ok so far.

I've always liked the default white skin, I can see everything compared to the dark skin where you can barely see (and plain looks fugly). As for the continue button, admittedly it took me a minute to find it at first, but I have no problem with where it is.

I have no problems with the new layout, know where everything I want is!

:)

I can't really comment on it being crammed as i have my native resolution at 1680 x x1050.

I think the skin is good... obviously as Ter said things can be improved. The colours for the attributes arent't perfect... I can see why accidentaly pressing 'cross' or 'minimise' would be annoying on windowed mode but i use the space bar to 'continue' and the back/forward buttons on my mouse.

Definately a step in the right direction :thup:

In the "white" skin, the scroll bars are almost the same colour/tone as the background, which has led me to not realize that there was more to read a couple of times. Now that I know about it, it still requires some extra attention to check if there is more to be found by scrolling or not.

I don't like the "main" page of this new skin, when you click continue. I liked to see my squad screen generally. Now you need two clicks to access the squad screen. And when you do, and click continue again, the main page reverts again to this news page or whatever. In FM09 when you clicked continue it would remember what page you were viewing, unless there was an important notice or something.

I miss the easy access left-side menu. I will also never get used to the continue button being on the far-right, and the back button on the far-left. They ought to be close to each other in the middle of the screen imo, to prevent long mouse slides regularly. Never liked any skins which had it different. Long mouse slides are ok when you are actively searching for something, not for something the game requires you to do continuously. I got fed up of it very quickly.

In Tactics, to clear the selection now takes two clicks, not just one.

For these reasons and more *, I will definitely try and get the FM09 skin, as there was nothing wrong with it imo. As long as the new stuff is accessible too. Please make the skin available to non-Steam users.

* In short, it makes me "work" harder than before.

I don't like the "main" page of this new skin, when you click continue. I liked to see my squad screen generally. Now you need two clicks to access the squad screen. And when you do, and click continue again, the main page reverts again to this news page or whatever. In FM09 when you clicked continue it would remember what page you were viewing, unless there was an important notice or something.

Can this not be achieved via the Screen Flow settings? You can set different screens that the game will navigate to.

• SI Staff
Can this not be achieved via the Screen Flow settings? You can set different screens that the game will navigate to.

No, you will always be taken to the Overview when clicking on an object (if the object has an overview section)

Hopefully in future versions you will be able to choose which section to go to as default.

I find a lot of things seem quite hidden without the sidebar. Training, staff, scouting etc.. you have to negotiate through several clicks to find them which is really quite annoying. The overall feel of the dark skin is nice though and buttons being in a slightly different place I can't moan about because thats just a matter of being used to something slightly different.

But what if I want a darker version of the FM09 skin? :thdn:;)

I love the new interface and prefer the light skin. The only thing I'd change is the colour of the players atributes.

http://www.community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=154120

I like the new skin. I am a little bit worried I won't be able to use my old FM09 player pictures, though.

You can. The gap is now slightly smaller, but the game resizes the images so they fit in. Just copy them from their FM09 location to the FM10 location. :)

Archived