Touchline 'shouts'

Do YOU think they work? Im sceptical to be honest. I was chasing a game desperately and therefore "shouted" to attacking (overload) and pump the ball into the box, for my 2 6ft3in strikers. Now this was in the 76th minute. The last 14 minutes plus injury time passed without so much as a shot or chance from my team. Whats your views?

Do YOU think they work? Im sceptical to be honest. I was chasing a game desperately and therefore "shouted" to attacking (overload) and pump the ball into the box, for my 2 6ft3in strikers. Now this was in the 76th minute. The last 14 minutes plus injury time passed without so much as a shot or chance from my team. Whats your views?

YOU WEREN'T SHOUTING LOUD ENOUGH, so they couldn't hear youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu... (sorry, I couldn't help myself).

On a serious note, it is not guarenteed that your team's overload capability can over-ride the AI's ultra-defensive capability and I don't think that there is anything you can do about it (at times) other than long time transfer planning that gives you more capability. I don't know if you tried an all-out-attack formation like the 4-2-4?

I've seen differences in the way my players play, certainly. It didn't always have the desired effect though.

First time I used one was when I was down to 10 men, I switched to 'Retain Possession' and my players really worked hard to keep the ball by passing short and not taking risks. I've used overload a couple of times and noticed an urgency to get forward but both times, it has just resulted in the other team getting more possession.

So I think they do make a difference, just don't expect to see loads of chances just because you switch to overload. The other teams style of play should still be taken into account. If they are great at counter attacking, for example, you probably won't want to risk pushing everyone forward.

They work but I cannot understand why they say Pending and take a few game minutes to process, if I shout something from the touchline irl the message gets to the players straight away.

The touchline shouts are tactical changes, and so the game needs time to process those changes. Don't forget, the game is showing you a playback of the calculated events. Unlike real life, it's not happening in real time. Every time you make a tactical change the game has to recalculate and that takes a little time.

The touchline shouts are useful, and work. I was concerned that they would be like those featured in the Total Club Manager series, where a gruff chainsmoker coughed out 'Shoot', 'Skin 'Im' etc, to no effect whatsoever. These are intelligent, management related and have effect.

The touchline shouts are tactical changes, and so the game needs time to process those changes. Don't forget, the game is showing you a playback of the calculated events. Unlike real life, it's not happening in real time. Every time you make a tactical change the game has to recalculate and that takes a little time.

The touchline shouts are useful, and work. I was concerned that they would be like those featured in the Total Club Manager series, where a gruff chainsmoker coughed out 'Shoot', 'Skin 'Im' etc, to no effect whatsoever. These are intelligent, management related and have effect.

I agree in part with what you are saying, but if SI want to give us the most realistic football management experience possible then this should include touchline shouts - Everything else in this game does indeed have the polish that SI talked about, I believe that this part however is executed poorly.

Well, to be fair, if it's a big sweeping tactical change, then it will probably take a few minutes to spread out and for the whole team to know,and it will happen most likely when there's a break in play so players can communicate without losing concentration.

They work but I cannot understand why they say Pending and take a few game minutes to process, if I shout something from the touchline irl the message gets to the players straight away.

I bet that it would take some time for your message to get across to your entire team if you were a real life manager. There's no way you could shout over singing, chanting, and screaming fans and expect your team to hear you all at once, instantly. You would have to get the attention of your captain or whoever is closest and have them spread the word to your team, or maybe you have some type of hand signals.

I'm definitely not saying that's why the delay exists, but it's probably pretty realistic with the delay as it is.

Oh yay, my first post. Btw, the demo is amazing!

The touchline shouts are tactical changes, and so the game needs time to process those changes.

It's not clear to me, if I have wingers and full back all individually sets "all wide" and team settings "wide play" max, than I use one those shouts "attacks the blanks/the middle", does it simply change something in the team tactics screen? Does it override my individual settings? Do I see the changes in the tactic screen?

So...are this shouts just tactic shortcuts or not?

• SI Staff

The shouts are shortcuts, yes, which make various changes to the most appropriate player and team instructions for the shout you are issuing.

For example; "Clear Ball Down Flanks" is going to tell your deepest players to pass long, your passing focus to be down the flanks, and certain forward players to "Move Into Channels" so they are better placed to receive the ball.

You could achieve the exact same thing by going to the tactics page and manually setting the instructions accordingly, however if you wanted to stop that 'shout' you'd have to go through and manually unset them and set them to something else, whereas by using the shout system it's one click to issue it, one click to withdraw it.

Any individually overridden player or team instructions will *not* be changed when you issue a shout - so in the above example, if you had specifically told your team to pass down the centre, then it won't change this to pass down the flanks, and similarly for any individual player instructions you had specified.

I think it does work, I was playing as Newcastle and was down to 10 men and 2-0 down against Cardiff away. There was 15 mins to go and I thought might as well go for it, picked overload and pump balls into the box and my team totally changed, got a draw out of it with a goal in the last min, was overjoyed!

In only 3 friendlies yesterday I evidenced the following

1. Play wider combined with exploit flans did work, especially with wide midfileders set as wingers

2. Work ball into box: more short passing and parallel game

3. Get ball forward: more direct passing game - usually created a gap between my midfield and attack

4. Look for overlap: DID NOT work not even once, despite me having fullbacks set as wingbacks

5. retain possession combined with control strategy. Well, DONT use it in LLM ;-) did not work well for Wimbledon, despite players actually trying to

6. Drop deeper with Counter attack strategy did not work. Maybe because I was playing against my resrvs and they could not qualify for an attacking - pressing game

any feedback welcome!

The shouts are shortcuts, yes, which make various changes to the most appropriate player and team instructions for the shout you are issuing.

For example; "Clear Ball Down Flanks" is going to tell your deepest players to pass long, your passing focus to be down the flanks, and certain forward players to "Move Into Channels" so they are better placed to receive the ball.

You could achieve the exact same thing by going to the tactics page and manually setting the instructions accordingly, however if you wanted to stop that 'shout' you'd have to go through and manually unset them and set them to something else, whereas by using the shout system it's one click to issue it, one click to withdraw it.

Any individually overridden player or team instructions will *not* be changed when you issue a shout - so in the above example, if you had specifically told your team to pass down the centre, then it won't change this to pass down the flanks, and similarly for any individual player instructions you had specified.

Thanks for the input Ov. Will there be a more detailed explanation of the touchline shouts when the full game is released? I'd like to understand exactly what gets changed in terms of the classic sliders. For example, if I issue "Shoot On Sight", does that mean everyone's long shots goes to "often"?

Also, what does "Look For Overlap" do? Increase the tempo?

• SI Staff
Thanks for the input Ov. Will there be a more detailed explanation of the touchline shouts when the full game is released? I'd like to understand exactly what gets changed in terms of the classic sliders. For example, if I issue "Shoot On Sight", does that mean everyone's long shots goes to "often"?

Also, what does "Look For Overlap" do? Increase the tempo?

I believe that wwfan and Millie are working on something to coincide with the release of FM10 - there is a teaser thread in the tactics forum.

But yes, I know they'll be covering the shouts because I mailed Millie a detailed description of all the instructions each changes a few weeks ago :)

I'm just trying to put myself in the match your playing lol... I'm guessing Overload would have given your team more urgency but possession would probably suffer a bit unless every through ball etc is successful? All i could note is that you selected 'pump ball into box', so i ask... Is your team good in the air? would they be the msot likely to get on the end of a header? Would work ball into box have been better? Who knows as its gone now.

I have only used Overload and 'Work ball into box' on 2 seperate occasions and they definately seemed to have an effect and in the 2nd scenario managed to score not long after issuing it(by working it into the box :p)

Thats my Feedback :thup:

• 3 weeks later...

I like the shouts tbh and think they can be useful when applied right.

Only gripe i have is the constant "making tactical changes" that happens,sometimes feels like the game is "making tactical changes" too much.

Off topic,whats happened to the blue box on threads you have posted in ??

When you issue a Touchline Shout the required changes are automatically reflected in ur traditional "Player Instruction" tab.

But this wont work if u have modified a specific Player Instruction in Advanced Options. For eg.. If u have manually changed a central midfielders' mentality to "Defensive" by ticking the checkbox next to the Mentality (in the Advanced Options) PI , then you selecting "Overload" in the last 5 mins or whenever wouldn't change the mentality as u had overriden the setting....so in that case u'l have to go change it urself..

But if u haven't played around with the Advanced settings then it should surely work!

Absolutely! I was 2-0 down to AlbinoLeffe in the 65th minute and changed to 'overload' 'pump ball into box' 'get ball forward', 'shoot on sight' and 'take more risks'

I won 3-2 :D

Definately. I'm used to this from FML, so I knew what to expect. The strategy 'control' with 'retain posession' really works wonders if you have a lead that you want to keep. This combination - rather than selecting defensive or contain - keeps possesion and still creates chances by waiting for the perfect moment. It's really noticable that the team play simple passes and the amount of 'risky balls' are reduced somewhat.

As someone has already suggested, 'Get ball forward' with an attacking strategy does the complete opposite to the above - but it's effective if you need a goal (albeit risky to concede another). I sometimes use exploit flanks for teams who play more centrally as well.

So in a word, 'yes' - they do work :)

they work just fine (as long as they don't go completely against the tactic u r using). so u must set more players to attack if u want to overload. the pump the ball seems to work better with wider play and exploit flanks (with attacking wingers and supporting wingbacks plus 2 strikers or a striker and very attacking midfielder both set on pure attack)

Archived