Football Manager 2010 patching strategy

• SI Staff

When we got close to gold on Football Manager 2010, we sat down and worked out 2 different potential patching strategies, one of 2 patches, and one of 3 patches.

The 2 patch strategy would involve a patch around Xmas time to fix up any issues that were brought to our attention, and another at the end of Feb/early March as a transfers update. People here were already working on this patch with issues that have come up from our beta testers after we went gold (mainly very minor issues, and a bit more tidying up on the GUI).

The 3 patch strategy would be used if a serious issue was found after the demo was released and before the game being released, and would be the same as the 2 patch strategy, but with a "day one" patch too.

Last night I was alerted to the fact that Stephen Carr doesn't appear in the Birmingham City squad. Having looked into it, it's because he was previously set as "retired" in our database as it had been widely reported that he had retired. When we moved him to Birmingham in the database, this "retirement" setting overrode him being at Birmingham, so he didn't make it into the game.

This has been fixed, and because of this issue, we will now be doing a "day one" patch, which will be available via Steam (PC Only), Torrent (PC & Mac) and Direct download (PC & Mac).

This won't be the only issue that is looked at for the patch, and as issues that are reported in the forums are fixed, notes will be made here.

We don't know when the patch will be available, but we will do everything in our power to ensure that it's available at some point on the 30th October. I apologise in advance if this doesn't happen, as I'm not going to be around much on the forums over the coming weeks as I'm about to go on a lengthy PR tour around Europe.

That is very kind of SI... I actually think that the game is pretty darn good! Definately the best 1st release!(god how good will it be when it gets to the 3rd patch? :D) I have tried to avoid looking at people posting errors with the game as then they become more obvious to me.

I agree many could just change the Stephen Carr bit themselves but oh well... if it means that the game will be even more 'polished' when it comes out then that is fantastic :D

That's really decent of you Miles. By all accounts the bugs are all minor - no one's yet hinted at any game-breakers. But the few bugs in the tactics wizard and elsewhere could collectively amount to a minor irritation and it's great that they'll be attended to. The result should be a playing experience that's all-but flawless from the outset. Utterly brilliant!

With the 3 patch strategy I'd imagine more important things will get fixed first, and just about everything will be sorted out by the 2nd patch - that should mean we can start our long saves whenever that comes out, instead of waiting for the 3rd one at the end of January :thup:

• SI Staff
With the 3 patch strategy I'd imagine more important things will get fixed first, and just about everything will be sorted out by the 2nd patch - that should mean we can start our long saves whenever that comes out, instead of waiting for the 3rd one at the end of January :thup:

We were already prioritising issues as they came in with this in mind. I can't see anything at the moment that would stop people starting their career saves on the day of release.

I've started mine already :)

• SI Staff
We were already prioritising issues as they came in with this in mind. I can't see anything at the moment that would stop people starting their career saves on the day of release.

I've started mine too...took Cambridge up in the first season through playoffs :)

yeah yeah rub it in miles "ive started mine already" i bet u have because we dont have the game hahaha

oh btw i hope the transfers from the summer/ loan window will be done aswell as i see a few players not at clubs they should be at like marlon harewood and folan :o

Thanks for the info guys..

I have started my career game already, found a laptop in the train and it had Full FM10 on it :p it even had FM11 on it :eek: (Then wakes up from sleep)

I did not even realise the demo was out until I logged in today, was expecting the demo on Friday. Now I have to wait and start downloading when I get home from work at 9pm :(

Miles must be a secret spurs fan, first its Glenn Hoddle and now Stephen Carr!
Top 10 worst things to say to a Watford fan!

And some way to wind up Spurs fans too! Carr and Hoddle in the same sentence. Spurs fans hate Steve Carr. Whereas Hoddle is God.

• SI Staff
Is there definitely going to be 2-3 patches? What if patch one is near-perfect - will you still make patches for other wee issues or just one for data update?

There will be 3 patches as things stand currently, as described above. There will always be issues that are brought to our attention.

There will be 3 patches as things stand currently, as described above. There will always be issues that are brought to our attention.

Great news.. I have a feeling that the worst issues will be fixed with Patch 1 then 2 and 3 will only improve the game with smaller, but nice little thingies..

Hi

You need a bag carrier for your European jaunt (sorry PR trip).

I speak english, geordie and can mime many languages. I am also into drinking fine white wine whilst discussing the finer points of football.

K..:)

Can I raise what could be a game-breaking issue. A 'Mascio' has been uncovered, and the reason for his appearance could have major implications. I posted this elsewhere:

"This player [Toninho] is generated by the game, check his ID (you'll see it's a 10-digit ID). It's not a db issue. And he is indeed way too good... There is some guy at River (PI) called Bebeto who is also generated by the game and is way too good."

"Yes, he won't even appear is SI releases another Brazilian qstart with the same options ticked. Some similar player may appear though.

This option is used to fill squads who are too empty, as is the case with some of those smaller Brazilian teams (as they release everybody very early in the season IRL) and some lower league teams in England."

This is actually an extremely important point that will need to be addressed for patch 1. Many databases will be made with lower tier English and Scottish clubs, many of the lowest having sparse/no squads. They'll be filled with regens and it will be a major spoiler if there are loads of super-amateurs that can be scooped up by The Bogsville Arms who'll bomb up the leagues without a challenge.

So I hope regens that fill low reputation leagues/clubs will have appropriate reputations and CA/PAs.

• SI Staff

So I hope regens that fill low reputation leagues/clubs will have appropriate reputations and CA/PAs.

The older extra newgens generated to fill out empty active teams are always generated with CA/PA related to club reputation etc. However with a nation like Brazil for example, there is a slightly higher chance of a rare newgen player being a lot better than what the regular level at the club would be. We did run into one such case in our own tests and since then there has been a PA cap implemented for these filler players and the cap has been lowered even further since then, so this kind of rare incidents should not pop up with the patched version.

Is there any chance that this years data update might have future transfers in it? The game season starts in July, and frankly the data update is an issue for those of us who like realism. Some of the player data and other changes are there because they should be present at game start point, but we can't have them without the silly early transfers having taken place and somewhat voided the realism of both challenge and season as a whole.

Any thoughts? If this years game is as polished as it looks from the demo I'm pretty sure your guys won't be half as busy as previous years.

It should be in for the first patch.

Is there an eye on the impending Liverpool takeover Stu? Faisal should have that completed in a week from some reports, and he's indicated that Hicks and Gillett must clear Liverpool's debts before selling which has a clear impact on the game.

Is there an eye on the impending Liverpool takeover Stu? Faisal should have that completed in a week from some reports, and he's indicated that Hicks and Gillett must clear Liverpool's debts before selling which has a clear impact on the game.

As always, it would have to be completely confirmed and finalised before the data is locked.

Wow, so theres nothing going to be added that would need me to start a new game to expirience if I started my career save on release day? Thats cool if true, I can never really get into it knowing I'll have to start again when the new patch comes out.

I'm aware I cant get updated transfers part way through a game, I just mean gameplay features

• 3 weeks later...

Archived