Steam - Another Fine Mess

Completely closing Steam, then restarting appears to finalise the initialisation process which seems to have been causing the problem, so I can get it to launch now, both from within Steam, and from within the folder. However, the method of creating a shortcut to your desktop allowing you to play without being connected to Steam appears to be malfunctioning as Steam autoloads. Anyone any suggestions on how to get round Steam launching all the time?

Git, When SI put FM into steam they did us a huge favor, once you activate your game in steam you'll never need ur CD key again (you can burn it after you enter it in steam) all you need is your Steam acc and pass. You can download&play the game anywhere you want as long as you have steam. so stop moaning like a girl.

Tyler, please try not be be so patronising, just because the name is Old Git does not mean I am stupid. I have used Steam before, however this particular download has been problematic for some, as you will have noticed from the amount of threads being posted with similar issues. The final question has nothing to do with CD keys or DRM, merely relates to the ability to create a shortcut which does not load steam, as was previously possible.

I believe you just use the FM executable from the FM folder..

Just create a shortcut to that file and it should run (I think)

Default path: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2010 demo

well the download was probably slow because there will have been an ABSURD number of people downloading... that said, I got mine from steam at an average speed of about 1.5MB/s...

Not sure you're *supposed* to be able to get round launching Steam tbh... I know it was possible last time round, but not 100% sure it should have been

• Administrators

Yeah it would appear that option has been disabled for the demo. I'll try and look into it tomorrow and find out exactly what's going on and what you should expect it to be for the full game. Thanks.

TopToffee, think I was maxing at 200kb/s but average 35kb/s with it stopping and restarting all the way through, which may have caused a failure in complete initialisation originally, however, as I said, a restart fixed that. If we can't get round the loading of Steam for the demo, then fair enough.

Neil,

Thanks, will be getting a hard copy in any case, and notice activation is not required for the disc, so not sure if the ability to create a shortcut which does not load Steam will be the issue it was last time around.

Neil,

Thanks, will be getting a hard copy in any case, and notice activation is not required for the disc, so not sure if the ability to create a shortcut which does not load Steam will be the issue it was last time around.

activation is required for the disc version, unless you want to always have it in the drive whenever you're playing. If that's not a problem for you, then no, you don't need to activate

I went to the Steam website, installed steam and downloaded the demo. It won't open.

I notice my Steam folder doesn't have a 'steamapps' subfolder, neither was I asked for details to register. What have I done wrong?

exit steam , delete the clientregistry.blob file on steam folder, start steam again

exit steam , delete the clientregistry.blob file on steam folder, start steam again

Cheers. I did that and the blob file comes back. If I delete it again I get a message saying steam can't read the missing file and it closes :o

Hated steam last year and it's not proving kinder this. Thank god SI will let me run from the disk in the full version.

I downloaded last night around 8 ish from Steam, got speeds of 1.1 - 1.5MB/s and was up and running within half an hour. This morning went into steamapps and pinned the .exe file to the start menu and it works fine from there. The only real problem with Steam is that once you have installed it there is a period on PC startup when it is very heavy on resources as it tries to connect

HI

I downloaded from Steam very quickly. no issues for me thankfully. I have created a desktop icon from the steam file (program/steam etc) and that appears to launch the game but only after connecting to steam.

k..:)

Cheers. I did that and the blob file comes back. If I delete it again I get a message saying steam can't read the missing file and it closes :o

Hated steam last year and it's not proving kinder this. Thank god SI will let me run from the disk in the full version.

that file has to exist , that file is were your account info like the games you have installed and if their updated , etc is stored , however it sometimes gets corrupted , deleting it will make steam update itself and check for any missing files or folders also will ask to insert login info

I downloaded last night around 8 ish from Steam, got speeds of 1.1 - 1.5MB/s and was up and running within half an hour. This morning went into steamapps and pinned the .exe file to the start menu and it works fine from there. The only real problem with Steam is that once you have installed it there is a period on PC startup when it is very heavy on resources as it tries to connect

go to file-settings-interface and un tick the start with windows option

Learn how to use a PC.

I see you're quite new to the forums...... that kind of attitude really isn't welcome, in jest or not.

There are going to be a lot of "new" users about because of the demo and we should all try and be constructive as possible in helping anyone with issues.

Sorry to be a Dad about it.

Hmmm, if it turns out you can't start the game up without launching Steam this year, I think that'd definitely stop me buying through them.

Omfg why people are so retrograded and cant think for them selfs for freaking once their got dam life's

FM 2010 this year is using steam protection wen activated on steam thats why it doesn't ask for a dvd , last year FM was using that mess called uniloc .

of course if its using steam built in protection it needs steam to be on and to make sure also that your using a legit version of the game and your not playing on some other peoples games that aren't on your account ( wen you share the same computer and have 2 different steam account's for each one ) .

think a little people its not that dam hard :rolleyes:

Very good, Aim Less.

Of course, that little outburst would have made more sense if I'd posted '"I don't understand why you can't play the game without launching Steam".

As it was, I was just mentioning that having to run Steam every time I want to play FM (whatever the reason for that) would put me off purchasing the game that way.

Well having spent all day trying to download from 6 other sites all unsuccessfully, I went back to Steam and this time (5th attempt) it installed all the necessary files to open a Steam account. It's currently telling me it's downloading the game at 6 kb/sec. I'll be up all night.

Anyway, here's a query that's probably been answered a thousand times. Say I've got Steam installed and I have the disk. Can I do this: normally have the game running off the disk, off-line. SOMETIMES boot up Steam and run the same savegame without the disk. When using Steam do I have to be on-line all the time, or just boot it up then go off Steam and off-line?

To answer the OP the issue is direct x, usually when you try and launch a game via steam for the first time a box should pop up saying it is installing directx. Says something like "running first time setup pt1/3" or words to that effect. If people try and launch outside of steam for the first time you get the DirectX error saying missing file.

I have used Steam since the 09 game and it was perfect and has been for about 20 games from then! You can install directx 9 manually if it just won't work for you.

Well having spent all day trying to download from 6 other sites all unsuccessfully, I went back to Steam and this time (5th attempt) it installed all the necessary files to open a Steam account. It's currently telling me it's downloading the game at 6 kb/sec. I'll be up all night.

Anyway, here's a query that's probably been answered a thousand times. Say I've got Steam installed and I have the disk. Can I do this: normally have the game running off the disk, off-line. SOMETIMES boot up Steam and run the same savegame without the disk. When using Steam do I have to be on-line all the time, or just boot it up then go off Steam and off-line?

you can go off line on steam and play it . you can play it in 2 computers at the same time one with the dvd on the drive and other on steam.

Very good, Aim Less.

Of course, that little outburst would have made more sense if I'd posted '"I don't understand why you can't play the game without launching Steam".

As it was, I was just mentioning that having to run Steam every time I want to play FM (whatever the reason for that) would put me off purchasing the game that way.

i know i was arch on my response , even tough i quoted you , it wasn't only meant at you

it was for those who say things like this :

omfgzor i want to play witouth dvd , but i dont want to boot steam omg steam sucks, si sucks , drm sucks bla bla bla

you get the picture ;)

Make sure steam is allowed on firewall and you have your ports opened , and tell me if your using eset nod32 3.0 version

go to settings -> Downloads , choose connection speed and download region ( choose closer or other maybe it has less users)

this faq also will help

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1456-EUDN-2493

Don't know if this is the right place to ask but...

I've pre-ordered my FM10 to arrive on 30/10. My question is this:

Last year, when trying to activate it through Steam, steam started trying to download the whole game even though the disc was in the drive. My knowledge of Steam is limited, so is this what's supposed to happen. Also it's the Arsenal edition I've gone for this year, I presume the same process still applies.

Also, I downloaded the demo through steam at a minimum of 1.7MB/s and had no problems!

Archived