Signing on fee nightmare!

Has anybody else noticed that you now need to give players their signing on fee now?

It seems every youngish player im trying to sign keeps rejecting contracts becuse they need a 'more reasonable signing on fee.' Whereas older players dont ask for it.

Personally I preferred not having to give it to players (obviously), i'll soon be broke with how many players im trying to buy!

To be honest didnt even notice this was the case with FM09 - would never have thought to remove it only ever tried to reduce it slightly. As Freagle says, realism is the name of the game and in real life if (for example) Ashley Cole said I want £150,000 a week, £15,000 per game, £10,000 per goal, £5,000 per assist and £4,000,000 to sign and you said sure Ashley no problem, ahem, but no £4,000,000 in the reply then I guess he would notice...

Now signing on fees seem to make up for offering less wages, and also persuading some players who may not join you. I approached Beckham who wanted 68k a week wages and 500k signing on fee, he accepted 40k a week wages and 2m signing on fee after a bout or two of negotiations; but it was really nice to see it has an impact. Also, my players have relegation release clauses of like 50 - 80m each as well.

Of course the kids want a signing on fee, without that they would turn up on first day in a clapped out Ford Kia earning them the abuse of their new teamates. With their fee they can happily roll up in the latest 200 mph sports car.

Perhaps SI ought to have a players car stat and then you could get a message about your new 18yr old whizz kid will miss six months after wrapping his brand new speed machine round a lampost at 150 mph !

Archived