what to do with overperformers

maybe a common "problem" but what do you do when a guy with mediochre stats plays really well when star out injured...i mean...eventually and long term he shouldnt be thet great right. im asking as im arsenal. Henri lansbury has turned out to be a very nice alround midfielder, endlgand u21 captain also. fabregashas gone down injured and lansbury strpeed in and has been a scoring machine...even though his stats are nothing on fabs. now i have adequate star cover in midfield...but feel it ashame to sell lansbury on as even tho playing close to full potential he is doing so well...plus would get poor money anyways vs what the player pays. what do u usually do?

maybe a common "problem" but what do you do when a guy with mediochre stats plays really well when star out injured...i mean...eventually and long term he shouldnt be thet great right. im asking as im arsenal. Henri lansbury has turned out to be a very nice alround midfielder, endlgand u21 captain also. fabregashas gone down injured and lansbury strpeed in and has been a scoring machine...even though his stats are nothing on fabs. now i have adequate star cover in midfield...but feel it ashame to sell lansbury on as even tho playing close to full potential he is doing so well...plus would get poor money anyways vs what the player pays. what do u usually do?

If he's doing the business keep him, if he isn't don't. What he does on the pitch is more important than what he does on the training ground or what his attribute and CA/PA numbers say.

Obviously if he's keeping a worldclass player out of the team and that player gets unhappy and you really want to keep him then you have to juggle stuff, but it's a nice problem to have as problems go. I wish I had overachievers in my Fiorentina team rather than a Berbatov who is a world beater half the time and a pub team player the other half icon_eek.gif

Personally, I dont "do" stars, if a player, plays well he stays in..providing he is doing the job i need him too.

Then again i do manage Middlesbrough, so we dont get many stars in the first place. icon_biggrin.gif

keep lansbury, without a doubt he becomes a world class mid. he's a full england international at 20 on my game.

get cesc to tutor him too, lansbury's got about 10 ppms from learning off rosicky, cesc, hleb and gerrard for me, loads of assists in his first season.

stats aren't everything. there is a reason why he's performing so well with mediocre stats, they'll start looking more fitting with performances the more he plays.

My best striker doesn't have phenomenal stats, but seeing as he banged in 30+ goals last season I decided he merited the £12k p/w pay rise he wanted and now he's one of my top earners. Conversely if a player with fantastic stats was playing crap I'd have no problems with getting rid.

I sold Werder Bremen's 42 goal striker from last season, thinking that any fairly good striker could fill that role with the service he got and still score a lot. In the end I trawled the world to find someone and ended up spending exactly the amount I received from selling my previous striker and ended up with a player who just doesn't perform icon_frown.gif

I would just drop him, but £17.5 million is a lot of money to just give up on him after 6 months!

You're the manager, if in your judgement he isn't capable of sustaining the form he's currently on, then now is the time to cash in.

You'll easilly get a bid well above his value if he's on a blinder.

If you think he's the future, then time to get rid of el cesc in the true wenger style. His value will only go down as the new guy replaces hin in the first XI.

Either way, now is the time to be looking at making the big bucks.

Archived