Commentary Items you'd like to see.

I've just read a very valid suggestion from WillemII@Tilburg about commentary and half time subs,

So I though, there's loads of extra commentary that I'd like to see.

1. "(Player) couldn't hit a barn door with a beachball today"

2. "(Player) is going to get himself sent off if he doesn't clam down"

3. "The manager is going mental on the touchline after that decision" most of the time, this is when I'm blaspheming at the computer screen.

What additions would you guys like to see, sensible and funny ones welcome

I've just read a very valid suggestion from WillemII@Tilburg about commentary and half time subs,

So I though, there's loads of extra commentary that I'd like to see.

1. "(Player) couldn't hit a barn door with a beachball today"

2. "(Player) is going to get himself sent off if he doesn't clam down"

3. "The manager is going mental on the touchline after that decision" most of the time, this is when I'm blaspheming at the computer screen.

What additions would you guys like to see, sensible and funny ones welcome

Not sure about 1 - it's a bit too insulting. Can imagine the real Didier Drogba playing the game and writing a stern letter to SI "Actually I would have hit the back of the net blindfolded in that position".

2, yes. I'd like that a lot. I often think that myself, but a visual prompt wouldn't hurt.

3, maybe you could hit a button or something to trigger this. Not sure I want the computer telling me I'm going mental when I'm such a calm, studious manager and all (yeah, right). Perhaps some during-game interaction along the lines of "keep your heads up" or "the ref is blind, but you can't help that - GET ON WITH IT".

Commentary features I'd like would be "that's the 30th shot they've had on target. Plop Utd's keeper must surely be on [international manager]'s radar after this performance."

And...

"How can [international manager] keep ignoring [eg] Billy Sharp?"

"Why does [FM gamer manager] keep playing him?"

"They've had all the possession, but no luck in front of goal" (this one may prompt 8.0.1 naysayers to tweak their tactics instead of screaming at the PC).

"The conditions are making [team]'s passing game redundant"

Just stuff to prompt you that may not be obvious from the usual commentary or 2d engine would be nice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 3. "The manager is going mental on the touchline after that decision" most of the time, this is when I'm blaspheming at the computer screen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't even like it when it says 'Even their manager has his head in his hands'. I keep thinking 'No I haven't'. So I don't want to see that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I've always wanted to see the players run over to the manager to celebrate with him when they pull off a good result or win in the cup etc.

Would be a nice touch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif from me

I was thinking the other day about "contextual colour".

So, for example, taking events from the game history and converting them into comments:

"X scored three his last time out, and he looks equally on form today!" - first-half goal following hat-trick

"And the league's leading goalscorer has done it again!"

"He's scored! On his return to Z!" - goal in first match at ground where he used to feature

"Given the way X has played today, Y must be regretting letting him go." - Player facing former club

"That's his first goal since 2005." - First goal of this season after not scoring at all last season..

"X1 congratulates his friend X2..." - After match; X1 and X2 are players on each others favoured personnel

"W have a 'here we go again' look about them." - 2-0 down in first half during a losing streak, or against a team which pounded them last time out.

"X continues to bedevil them!" - Player who played really well the last time the teams met, doing so again.

"Y really needs to do something to slow him down." - When attacking player is running rampant, comment suggesting that manager make a tactical adjustment

"X has been marked completely out of this game." - When player is getting a 4 or 5 rating due to extremely good coverage or double-coverage.

"Shaky defending from W yet again, they look really nervous out there." - First half, after shaky clearance, when too much pressure on team has yielded a 'nervous' performance. Alert manager might note that and try to reduce pressure at halftime.

"The goal is surely coming." - Follow-on to 'Can W weather the storm', for truly intense periods of pressure.

"W are just trying to hold on 'til the break and regroup." - Circa 40th minute, team 'weathering the storm' and/or a man down and not really attacking. c.f. Inter yesterday.

. . .

On the last day of C.L. group play, W.C. group play or league play, mention of what teams need.

"W are clearly playing for a draw." - Nil-nil going into the half, when that's all they need.

"Both sides look content with a draw." - Halfway through second half of one of those 'gee, if we finish out 0-0, we're both through' games

"They're level now, but it won't be enough unless they can find another goal in these last N minutes." - when only a win will do.

"That's done it! If W can hold on now, they're (through/champions)" - After getting second-half equalizer or go-ahead goal that achieves what team need

"X has done it! That's nudged him past Y for the golden boot with just minutes to play!" - Goalscorer battle.

Plus, word from other grounds:

"Word has just come in that V1 have gone ahead of V2, 1-0. Now, W need only draw." - Or similar.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nomis07:

I've always wanted to see the players run over to the manager to celebrate with him when they pull off a good result or win in the cup etc.

I have seen this, the commentry makes no mention of it or why but occasionally the player will run over to the bench!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rmfarey:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nomis07:

I've always wanted to see the players run over to the manager to celebrate with him when they pull off a good result or win in the cup etc.

I have seen this, the commentry makes no mention of it or why but occasionally the player will run over to the bench!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When they score a goal that is, not at the end of the game.

"That's some measure of revenge for W!" - League or friendly win following a key Cup defeat.

"This is the rubber match between these two teams." - Third encounter of season due to Cup influence

"What a dream debut for X!" - Second goal on his debut

"What an incredible match!" - Exceptionally high scoring from both sides, e.g., 5-3, 4-4, 4-3, etc.

Fan behavior:

"The fans are singing his name!" - Fan favourite having a blinder

"Oh dear, oh dear. Now the fans have started up with 'Are you W in disguise?'" - Home fans jeering a defeated visitor in 2nd half of a rout

"The fans are jeering his every decision now." - Home fans jeering a referee after a couple questionable calls have gone against the home side, esp. red and/or penalty

"Incredible atmosphere around the ground today!" - Critical match, e.g., late Cup round, big first-v-second league encounter

"A wall of sound greets the two teams." - Same/similar

"A capacity crowd on hand to see their heroes." - During first half, before attendance announced, when it is within 100 of capacity.

"And this is it, the biggest of stages!" - At or right before kickoff for F.A. Cup Final, C.L. Final, W.C. Final.

Explanation of missed chances:

"It just didn't settle for him!"

"It took a bad hop as he tried to connect!"

"He scuffed that shot."

"He didn't get as much on that as he'd have liked to."

"He slipped as he shot." - Balance

"The ball ran away from him just a bit, enough to put him off." - Uncontrolled dribble

"The ball stuck a bit in the mud, just enough to put him off." - Weather

"Oh, he really rushed that." - Composure

"Surely he was fouled ... No?" - Uncalled foul that put him off his shot.

"X had a handful of his jersey .. No foul, though, and Y is rightly aggrieved." - Uncalled shirt tug that put him off his shot.

"He was sliding in at the back post, and just couldn't quite control it." - Explaining what looked like a tap-in but was, in fact, much more challenging.

"Oh! Surely he didn't need to hit it that hard! All power, no control." - Poor decision when he really needed a placed shot, not a powerful shot.

Explaining the goalkeeper's actions better:

"Tremendous diving stop!" - When the 'dot' flies across the goalmouth

"Unlucky X never saw it." - Obscured vision

"X never moved, he must have thought it going over/wide." - Poor Decision/Anticipation

"X was still prone from the first stop, and never had a chance."

"X came out to catch, and it just carried over him." - Poor Decision / coming out.

From today's Lyon-United match live text commentary:

"Ooh, Govou has had a shocker there! The ball was rolled across for him by Squillaci and he missed the ball entirely with his right, then promptly fell over."

"My word! Ferdinand swings wildly at a cross from Toulalan and it dribbles narrowly wide!"

Obviously copyright the author, but I think they show the sorts of things we might see as "My guy just can't score" and turn them into understandable things - a failed Balance check in the first, a tough maneuver and/or failed Composure check in the second.

Similarly, contextual things like:

"Rooney, of course, is up against the hapless Jean Alain Boumsong, who had a season long nightmare at Newcastle United you may recall. If you don't, then imagine Titus Bramble. But ten times worse."

icon_biggrin.gif

Made me laugh. The second and third sentences might be a bit tough to do, but mention of one disappointing season seems like it should be do-able.

Also, commentary like (from Arsenal - Milan)

"Another long ball up towards Pato is headed away. He's not the tallest, so that seems an odd tactic."

Obviously critical of the manager, but it might be very good to help us see where we're going wrong..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"Rooney, of course, is up against the hapless Jean Alain Boumsong, who had a season long nightmare at Newcastle United you may recall. If you don't, then imagine Titus Bramble. But ten times worse." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I found that rather amusing. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> From today's Lyon-United match live text commentary: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Also, commentary like (from Arsenal - Milan) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quote a talent to listen to both sets of commentry icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neji:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> From today's Lyon-United match live text commentary: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Also, commentary like (from Arsenal - Milan) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quote a talent to listen to both sets of commentry icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Less difficult when it's text commentary though icon_wink.gif

Oh, and to keep it on topic:

Two imaginary comentary lines that passed through my mind while playing tonight.

Danny Miller gives the Rangers fans a taste of what to expect next summer As he scores against the club he has a £4m transfer to arranged for the end of the season.

David Robbins scores with his first touch of the game. After coming on as a half time sub and, erm, scoring with his first touch of the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nick...:

Danny Miller gives the Rangers fans a taste of what to expect next summer As he scores against the club he has a £4m transfer to arranged for the end of the season.

[/i] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heard something similar when Brown scored for Hibs against Celtic. League was sown up so it got a fair cheer from the Celtic end too.

On another note, in a game where I was 3 up a half time, but had a 'mare of a 2nd 45 and pulled back to 3-3, I was informed that my team's 'second half performance was a joy to behold'. Eh? Anyone had this? Would stick it in the bugs forum but not seen it since...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Plus, word from other grounds:

"Word has just come in that V1 have gone ahead of V2, 1-0. Now, W need only draw." - Or similar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love this one. It's very Blackburn 1994-95.

"Jeppers, its cold today"

"That bloke wouldnt get in the local pub side"

"Ah this is boring"

"The medics are needed here, [player]'s leg is in a u-bend"

"That corner was awful, [manager] we need a sub!"

I added that into the commentary by altering the events.cfg file. Now I get every once in a while the fun phrases:

"<Player> scores!!"-----"He runs to the touchline where a sub arrives to shine <Player's> boots!1"

"<Player> sprints down the line to embrace his manager!!"

You could add all these ideas yourself by playing with the events.cfg file in notepad.

I also removed the "manager has his head in his hands" rubbish.

Archived