new fm lets hope its not the same old story

With the new fm being released very soon

As a fan and a player of the game i hope the technical issues and bugs that have appeared in first batch games always and annually for me over the last few years on fm release day when i purchase the game it seems to be like groundhog every time i buy the game read the book from cover to cover on my journey home be it on a bus train or car.

My always initial excitement upon buying a staple title (in fact the only game title i buy every year) each year hoping it will be different. that there is not some patch that i have to download upon buying (thanks Cm for that) or trying to ring to a line with 5 people answering the phone or having to set up to a system to activate the game when up until last year and thankfully not now there was no broadband available and to be downloading activation via steam for 8 hours before i got to play the game i both love and hate at the same time.

i am hoping this year that the same problems as before don't come up. A certain number of us here and a silent majority that don't have access to the forums buy choice or education are the people who have built this game from zero to the number one game ever made ten years ago when i told people i was playing a football sim while others played fifa etc people occasionally and frequently laughed at me. now its the norm we are the people that bought the game from day one and the circle of people i know will probably be buying it on or in its last days (well that mite never happen please god) i am asking and hoping that the developers and people listen to and send out an operational copy in that first batch. i know there will be problems but please consider sending out the best version possible and make this the most enjoyable fm/cm experience so far.

regards

fabulas4

i am asking and hoping that the developers and people listen to and send out an operational copy in that first batch.

That's one of the reasons for the demo. So we, the buyers become testers and report any issues. This in turn I assume will make the first patch available a little quicker.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think it's humanly possible to create a game of this scope EVERY YEAR and not have a few bugs here and there. If SI released FM every two years then they might be able to create a bug free game, but tbh, that's part of the FM charm for me...

Ps. Might want to try some punctuation. If you bought a novel and it was written in a similar style to your post, you'd get a headache within minutes. :D

Ps. Might want to try some punctuation. If you bought a novel and it was written in a similar style to your post, you'd get a headache within minutes. :D

yes sorry my apologies about that ive got a form of dyslexia and it effects the way i spell and some grammar etc.

same old blah blah. If you read yesterday's blog the testers are unanimous in that it will be far less bugged and the technical issues are more 'polished' than ever before.

hope so mate if thats true it would astonish me but i live and hope

While I do understand your post and what you have in mind, people around here neglect the fact that this is a demo version (assuming you are talking about that) and it is not only going to be available for us so we can enjoy it but to test for bugs and other issues as well. This is really important as I know once the demo hits out lots of people will spam threads with bugs and issues and then saying screw this game blah blah blah.

Just download the demo, report the bugs and enjoy the game. Simple as that.

While I do understand your post and what you have in mind, people around here neglect the fact that this is a demo version (assuming you are talking about that) and it is not only going to be available for us so we can enjoy it but to test for bugs and other issues as well. This is really important as I know once the demo hits out lots of people will spam threads with bugs and issues and then saying screw this game blah blah blah.

Just download the demo, report the bugs and enjoy the game. Simple as that.

no i ment the first bought version usual 9.00 8.00 etc

• Administrators

See exactly what you mean OP, you're not the only one thinking of postponing buying it on release day (I've always done this, but I'll wait and see I think this year).

Its not much out of the box I'm worried about, I'm sure it'll be playable. I am just fairly anxious that there will become issues with this League Editor coming out, which to me seems to be one of the biggest additions to the series.

Let's wait and see....

With the new fm being released very soon

As a fan and a player of the game i hope the technical issues and bugs that have appeared in first batch games always and annually for me over the last few years on fm release day when i purchase the game it seems to be like groundhog every time i buy the game read the book from cover to cover on my journey home be it on a bus train or car.

My always initial excitement upon buying a staple title (in fact the only game title i buy every year) each year hoping it will be different. that there is not some patch that i have to download upon buying (thanks Cm for that) or trying to ring to a line with 5 people answering the phone or having to set up to a system to activate the game when up until last year and thankfully not now there was no broadband available and to be downloading activation via steam for 8 hours before i got to play the game i both love and hate at the same time.

i am hoping this year that the same problems as before don't come up. A certain number of us here and a silent majority that don't have access to the forums buy choice or education are the people who have built this game from zero to the number one game ever made ten years ago when i told people i was playing a football sim while others played fifa etc people occasionally and frequently laughed at me. now its the norm we are the people that bought the game from day one and the circle of people i know will probably be buying it on or in its last days (well that mite never happen please god) i am asking and hoping that the developers and people listen to and send out an operational copy in that first batch. i know there will be problems but please consider sending out the best version possible and make this the most enjoyable fm/cm experience so far.

regards

fabulas4

Insanity - doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

You have a point though.

The demo will be a gold demo - it is not released so users can test the game. It had that effect last year but that isn't the reason we have a demo. The demo is released so you can test it for yourself, if you don't like it/think it has too many bugs - you don't buy the game. At least, that's how it should work.

as long as this version isn't as bad on release as last years i'll be happy. i've purchased every incarnation of the game since the original early 90's (i think) on the amiga and 09 was the first time i've given up and gone back to the previous years game. i'm sure everyone expects a couple of bugs, most games have them.

From the blogs, sounds like the game's been tested much more thoroughly and a lot more polished.

Admittedly, Miles is hardly going to post anything negative on those blogs.

Either way, the demo's a gold demo, so if that's broken, the release will also be broken.

However I am quite confident this version will be at least playable - that many testers (brave soldiers who risked their lives) should cover at least the obvious stuff.

I'm sure once the demo hits, there'll be a million "ME balance wrong because I just lost" threads, but hopefully nothing genuinely broken.

And if there were things broken, hope the game's been designed so that patches can be done quicker and with more stability.

The demo will be a gold demo - it is not released so users can test the game. It had that effect last year but that isn't the reason we have a demo. The demo is released so you can test it for yourself, if you don't like it/think it has too many bugs - you don't buy the game. At least, that's how it should work.

I wish people would read this. If they arent happy, then dont buy the game and complain about it.... Play it and enjoy it! I cant wait, I will expect a minor bug or two but it doesnt bother me too much.

Assuming pessimistically that this year's release will not be 100% bug-free, and will require at least one patch, I hope that SI might consider patching the demo too (or generating a new demo executable from the patched code etc.).

As you pointed out Neji, the purpose of a demo should not be for us to find bugs. But rather than, as you say, giving us a reason not to buy it, it should go all-out to convince us to fork out our hard-earned cash for the full-version. Sadly, for me, over the last few years the demo has convinced me not to bother. It's ok reading about all these fixes and improvements that have gone into patches 1, 2, 3 etc.. but I'd rather still be able to "try before I buy" with all these fixes in place.

Assuming pessimistically that this year's release will not be 100% bug-free, and will require at least one patch, I hope that SI might consider patching the demo too (or generating a new demo executable from the patched code etc.).

As you pointed out Neji, the purpose of a demo should not be for us to find bugs. But rather than, as you say, giving us a reason not to buy it, it should go all-out to convince us to fork out our hard-earned cash for the full-version. Sadly, for me, over the last few years the demo has convinced me not to bother. It's ok reading about all these fixes and improvements that have gone into patches 1, 2, 3 etc.. but I'd rather still be able to "try before I buy" with all these fixes in place.

Not a bad point squirmy but the thing is finding bugs and fixing them is very hard and time consuming theres allways going to be the odd bug in demo's etc but rather then waste time on making a bug free demo which is near impossible i'd rather bugs be spotted in demo then made right in full game :thup:

For all the new league editor creator, tactical wizard etc the thing I'm looking forward to most is the speed of it. I just read the blog on the improved speed etc and it all sounds very good! Where creating a new game took 30 minutes before, it now takes less than 3 minutes! If you were to go on holiday indefinitely you would get through 5 or 6 seasons in 12 hours! That is a huge leap forward from the slow, mundane pedestrian pace of 09. Hopefully that means more play time and less waiting.

This "polish" could be the best thing SI have done in years. Instead of cluttering the game with yet more new features which have new bugs on top of unfixed bugs, this new game should be a lot less buggy, a smoother...well..polished version.

Can't wait.

Not a bad point squirmy but the thing is finding bugs and fixing them is very hard and time consuming theres allways going to be the odd bug in demo's etc but rather then waste time on making a bug free demo which is near impossible i'd rather bugs be spotted in demo then made right in full game :thup:

Well, it rather depends on how they've done it.

If at some arbitrary point when they are satisfied the game is ready to "go gold", they have taken a snapshot of the code and made a seperate divergent branch of the entire project, and said "right, that's going to be the demo - we'll add all the time-limited constraints, splash-screens and stuff into that completely seperate branch", and kept the main trunk of the codebase totally seperate and only fix bugs and make improvements in that version... Then yes, what I'm asking for could be a pain in the backside.

If on the other hand, both the full release and the "demo" version are maintained in the exact same codebase, but the demo features are activated on a #define or compiler-directive, then any bug fixes and improvements that go into the main game, automatically get applied to the demo too (since it's the same code). All they would need to do* is recompile with the #define (or whatever it is) set to TRUE.

* I recognise however that even if rebuilding the executable would be a simple enough task, there is obviously a lot more that needs to be done to get a demo of a game out onto the world-wide-web. I'm not trying to trivialise it. :)

I just think that if it helps people decide to buy the game, rather than putting people off buying it, then it might be something that is worth the effort. I'm sure SI/SEGA would have more of an idea about how cost-effective that might be, than I would...

Archived