Getting the most out of my save

I am relatively new to football manager, and am frankly baffled as to how much is on these forums and having noticed how difficult and complicated the game can get in terms of getting all the elements of managing right, i really need some pointers as to what i should be initially concentrating on, e.g finances, training, staff recruitment, allowing me to have a long succesful reign.

If you like what are the 'basics' of successful managment? :confused:

what should my priorities be? for example, i want to be leeds on the new game and take them back to the top, but having played football manager 09 (and never really getting into the game) i felt i wasn't getting the most out of the game and missing out on certain aspects of it.

Rather than spend hours scanning these forums not really knowing what im looking for, was wondering if somebody out there who has been in this similar position themselves, could give me the advice i need.

Any positive feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance :thup:

I always work on the basic principle that if I have better players than my opponents then I should expect to win the majority of my games. I use my scouts heavily to make sure I have brought in the best players I possibly can, then use a bit of patience in waiting for them to do their job.

Hmm, spend a little time in the Tactics & Training Tips forum as they have lots of hints and tips tactically. One of the most frustrating things about FM (hopefully this may be sorted for 10) and the reason many people don't get into games is because of the tactics. We have some very intelligent people in the tactics forum so I suggest going there, reading Tactial Theorems and Frameworks, and having a look through some of the guides there.

If you are good tactically, ignore the above :D

(welcome to the forums by the way mate)

Just try and get a good solid team so you can get those most important wins every manager thrives for, trying not to bankrupt the club in the process (again in the case of ur Leeds team :p) If u keep winning then u'll more than likely get promoted, keep doing this and you shouldnt have any money troubles, if u keep within ur transfer and wage budgets ofc

If im playing the lower leagues i always try to sign free players, its always good to check which players contracts are expiring at the end of the season so u can start to plan ur summer spending early, Thats wot i do anyway

Getting players is important but knowing how best to utilise all of them is key. lower league management requires good free transfers.

The fun part as your game goes on is to improve your youth and training and try to incorporate up and coming players into your first team.

Archived