How do turn a wonderkid to a world class player

Hi

The title says it all, how do I turn wonderkid and other good youngsters into a world class players?

I of cause hire good coaches but it seems to me that loaning out players doesn't help much, playing the U team and reserves seems to stop their development pretty much and playing all the good young players at the first team doesn't seem to be a good solution, bubt of cause some get matches there.

Any help will be appriciated.

First team football is the key thing. If you loan them out, make sure they are getting first team football at a level which suits there ability. If you can afford to get them into your first team, then that is even better.

Also, if they aren't loaned out, make sure they are being tutored by one of your first teamers. It can do wonders if done properly.

At what age should they be loaned out? If I play in prem league I guess loaning a 16 year old player out to a 1st div team with poor coaches wont be a good idea? Or does the match experience count more than training?

agree with above, loaning out never works for me. Play him in carling cup games and early rounds of fa cup, champions lge/uefa cup where possible alongside regular substitute roles in pl games (more than 15 mins). Start him in games against weaker prem opposition. Also be patient, dont expect them to be the best player in the world at 19, Feghouli didnt blossom for me till he was 21 and now he's one of the best players in the game

Mould his personality, give him appropriate praise/criticism and play him in the u18s/reserves/cups/league where appropriate - the more minutes under his belt, the faster he'll develop.

Do you find this works OK for 17/18 year olds and it's better than loaning CP?

No point giving them the odd game, I throw them in properly when I decide they've reached a level, and keep a careful eye on their ratings. Many players sustain good form even with relatively low CA so often it isnt a problem, team form might drop a little if you try and introduce too many at once but by and large as long as its only 1 (or maybe 2) at a time you'll be amazed at the results.

Do you find this works OK for 17/18 year olds and it's better than loaning CP?

Mainly because I can control it better, I've enver had successful results loaning a promising youth player out because they never seem to get enough games and if they do they're not a good enough club that it's doing them any good being there.

You have got to adopt some kind of philosophy to youngsters. For example, for me I look at 15-16 year old players and judge if they have a bright future by myself (I never listen to my scout). When the player joins, he can stay playing first team football for the under 18's or under 20's until a certain age, then start shipping him on loan. Whilst he is here in an early age players learn much faster, new positions, roles, techniques etc. I also tend to make a model professional player already an established first team member teach him. With all that said, there has to be a separate training schedule for youngsters as you are keen to push them to their max, but not too much.

Just think of some ways of adopting a philosophy or even creating your own. Jot down some notes and use them.

Playing in the Bundesliga I had the fortune of having my U23 to play in the 3.Liga, which is playable and gives me a great opportunity to play younger players in a proper environment.

I usually grab some 15-17 year olds, put them in the U18 until they reach 3rd tier class, then play them in the 3. Liga with two or three older players to ensure that the team doesn't get relegated.

Usually a season or two will help them reach 2.Liga level at age 20 or so, at which point I tried to loan them to my feeder club at the level. However they seemed to be unregistered by the club and only getting 6-10 games per season so I changed the plan to offering them up for loan. When a team grabs them out of their own interest it will usually mean more games than when you force them into your feeder team.

The truly exceptional ones (good player for 2.Liga at age 17 for example) get into my main squad early, getting 5-10 games per season in the league and some more in competitions if I can afford it. Usually three years later they're ready to take their first team place in earnest and push out the older players.

I haven't bothered with tutoring so much and well, it works okay without it. When you don't match both players' personalities it's unlikely to have much effect anyway. Also I don't always have that many players beyond the age of 25. ;)

How many minutes of first team football is optimal for a young player each season?

Does bringing a 17 year old for the last 10 minutes in every match make any significant difference, compared to say, starting the cup games and just deputising during an injury crisis?

The more minutes the better, but also the level of opposition is factored in. So 20 minutes against Man Utd might be worth more than a whole cup game against Bogsville Casuals.

the level of opposition is factored in. So 20 minutes against Man Utd might be worth more than a whole cup game against Bogsville Casuals.

Good point. But it has to be added that the players match ratings also affect development too - so the Man Utd game would be better, as long as he plays well, which he'd be more likely to do against Bogsville.

Archived