blog Day 29: Introducing our best signing yet - Glenn Hoddle!

In game, if you playing as an English or Spanish club, you will get a friendly against the Glenn Hoddle Academy each pre-season.

Not very realistic - I am all for extra licenses but in exchange for realism, no thanks!

(PS When is the license from TfL coming into effect so we can drive the bus to away games?)

Not very realistic - I am all for extra licenses but in exchange for realism, no thanks!

(PS When is the license from TfL coming into effect so we can drive the bus to away games?)

It's pretty realistic, and bar the first season, you don't have to accept their offer of a friendly, presumably.

Its an interesting idea actually. It seems this academy does play a lot of the top teams reserves / youth / whatever so its a lovely new feature and expands on the 'open days'

Something I'd love to see expanded in the future and I really look forward to trying out in the game.

Is it? So every team you manage, will be approached by the same acadamy every pre-season for a friendly? How many managers do you know that happens to in the real world, in order to qualify it as being 'realistic'?

I'd imagine it'll be user specific, as in if YOU are a manager in either Spain or England YOU or your reserves or under 18's will be approached for the friendly.

Also, alot of teams will have their usual pre-season games, like Liverpool v Tranmere, Man U v Oldham etc etc Same sort of thing applies for this, and as i mentioned, you can probably decline the offer of the friendly match from GHA.

I'd imagine it'll be user specific, as in if YOU are a manager in either Spain or England YOU or your reserves or under 18's will be approached for the friendly.

Also, alot of teams will have their usual pre-season games, like Liverpool v Tranmere, Man U v Oldham etc etc Same sort of thing applies for this, and as i mentioned, you can probably decline the offer of the friendly match from GHA.

Thats what I mean, 'you' as the manager would not be approached every season by an acadamy your club have no affiliation with (unlike the Liverpool v Tranmere, Arsenal v Barnet, Palace v Bromley etc etc who do have local affiliations)

I hope I am just misunderstanding something somewhere, but just looks like a unrealistic add-in to get a 'big name' endorsement.

It kind of reminds me of the trialist games that you get invited to in 09.

Still yet to find a decent player from those games.

Hopefully the Hoddle academy will be an improvement.

That only exteneded to lower league clubs didnt it?

The fact this new club is on offer to all clubs implies the players will probably be of a higher quality than these.

I'd imagine its also going to try and avoid the problem of players retiring early because they had nowhere to go.

I think this a good deal for SI and for us as well. Looking forward to my first match against them :cool:

That only exteneded to lower league clubs didnt it?

The fact this new club is on offer to all clubs implies the players will probably be of a higher quality than these.

I'd imagine its also going to try and avoid the problem of players retiring early because they had nowhere to go.

I think this a good deal for SI and for us as well. Looking forward to my first match against them :cool:

Yes, hopefully there'll be some gems hidden there. Although if this is on offer to all clubs I expect the competition to sign the best players to be very fierce indeed.

I hope I am just misunderstanding something somewhere, but just looks like a unrealistic add-in to get a 'big name' endorsement.

Or it could just be Miles bumping into Glen Hoddle and thinking "cool, it's Glen Hoddle". Seriously, people read far too much into things sometimes.

Some of the beta tester comments are very curious.

Lots seem to take the view that "I didn't 'get into' FM09 as much as X edition but FM10 is fabulous". Is it simply a case of offering beta tester roles to the biggest whingers? Some of the feedback is on par with the GD threads made my excited newbies and not very informative.

Since presumably they aren't league affiliated (or did I miss anything?) how will I be able to reach their page in-game for friendlies/scouting/etc?

Might be that they'll be affiliate clubs to all the English/Spanish clubs? Or you just have to search for them? Or there'll be a great big GLEN HODDLE sign on every page?

Lots seem to take the view that "I didn't 'get into' FM09 as much as X edition but FM10 is fabulous". Is it simply a case of offering beta tester roles to the biggest whingers? Some of the feedback is on par with the GD threads made my excited newbies and not very informative.

I think beta tester places go to those who "whinge" in the most constructive fashion.

Or maybe those of us who are beta testing have signed NDA's and were being careful about what information we disclosed :thup:

I can say it wasnt just the whingers that have been involved in the beta testing. Some people may not want the fact they hvae been beta testing banded about the forums.

The process was opened up to anyone who filled in the application thread at the time.

Plus some of the biggest wingers didnt even apply so they will only have themsleves blame if they dont like the game

/mini rant over

^ It was obvious that Fm08 to Fm09 was not a big step forward and it took a lot for that to sink in to SI. In my opinion the match engine in 08 was better than 09 and to refrain consumers from thinking that fm10 ME would be worse than 09. It's like they are trying to assure us. It has to be the main topic that made SI shiver because it was so vital for them and they wanted to make a huge different. And that they have done, with the testers being pleased. Kudos to the team.

Or maybe those of us who are beta testing have signed NDA's and were being careful about what information we disclosed :thup:

I can say it wasnt just the whingers that have been involved in the beta testing. Some people may not want the fact they hvae been beta testing banded about the forums.

The process was opened up to anyone who filled in the application thread at the time.

Plus some of the biggest wingers didnt even apply so they will only have themsleves blame if they dont like the game

/mini rant over

I wasn't expecting the works of literary geniuses and perhaps the Beta Tester feedback chosen for the Blog isn't representative of the whole feedback picture, but i can't help feeling that what's on the Blog is a 'dumbed down' view of the game written by 15 year olds.

But you're right, maybe the Non-Disclosure Agreement has tied their hands.

^ It was obvious that Fm08 to Fm09 was not a big step forward and it took a lot for that to sink in to SI. In my opinion the match engine in 08 was better than 09 and to refrain consumers from thinking that fm10 ME would be worse than 09. It's like they are trying to assure us. It has to be the main topic that made SI shiver because it was so vital for them and they wanted to make a huge different. And that they have done, with the testers being pleased. Kudos to the team.

I agree, the ME was slightly better in FM08, but theres a chap in the Blog who insists that FM09 was simply unplayable for him, which is bemusing.

Yeh this is good.

I only hope some of the players at the GHA are actually good.

The trialist games have NEVER ever included a player worth buying.

Also, is it only open for youngsters who are released or for players of all ages?

Also, will the GHA have it's own regens? And how is it decided which players are picked to go to the GHA when they are released by their clubs?

I fail to see how these club rejects can improve a squad (then again, I imagine some good talents are really being released prematurely, just really hope the amount of gems will be kept to a minimum since in effect they are almost the same players as the trial people we play against in our lower league games in FM09). Aside from that, surely it's realistic if they mail every club in spain and england to do a friendly? I wouldn't have problems with that, since that is what they are "built" for I suppose. Doubt this will be a game changing experience though! Hope not, since they are not THAT game changing in reallife

I think maybe you've missed the point. They are not professional writers, they are just average gamers saying how they feel.

If the 'whingers' have been turned into 'excited newbies' by playing the game, then that should tell you something - that maybe there is something worth getting excited about.

I think maybe you've missed the point. They are not professional writers, they are just average gamers saying how they feel.

If the 'whingers' have been turned into 'excited newbies' by playing the game, then that should tell you something - that maybe there is something worth getting excited about.

I don't think anyone is claiming they're professional writers, or pro-gamers, certaintly not me! I sincerely hope FM10 is something to be excited about. The absolute slating that FM09 is getting in the Day 28/29 blogs is what's bemusing me.

I don't think anyone is claiming they're professional writers, or pro-gamers, certaintly not me! I sincerely hope FM10 is something to be excited about. The absolute slating that FM09 is getting in the Day 28/29 blogs is what's bemusing me.

I really think you're missing something.

Beta testers are not picked depending on who shouts the loudest. If they were, Moaner would be in for certain. :D

Everyone has an opinion. In my opinion, FM09's release and demo was absolutely shocking. In your opinion, maybe not. The beta testers are all entitled to an opinion and, when asked what they thought compared to FM09, they should say what they think. At least it's honest.

Criticising their writing style is completely out of order. You don't know these people, nothing about them. How do you know that the people you are criticising aren't dyslexic, or similar? I'd suggest you wait until you know a little about someone before condemning their writing style.

As a 15 year old myself, I do take offence from 'i can't help feeling that what's on the Blog is a 'dumbed down' view of the game written by 15 year olds'. That was a very stereotypical comment, and there are a fair few people my age around here who I know are better posters than others who are older.

For what it's worth, I haven't had anything published. I'm purely defending others who I feel you have slated without any knowledge of what really happens.

Neji, sorry, I didn't see your post before posting. However, as the blog contains the views of Beta testers, I think that discussing what they have said is actually on-topic. :)

Archived