Club in debt...

Ok, my club is in quite a bit of debt (like £300m - English Premier League team, won the league for 2 years) and i want to do my bit. Just started a new season (4th season on this save) and have accepted the lowest transfer budget i could through the season expectations thing.

Short of selling off all my players, what else can i do to not waste too much money?

Obviously winning things helps, also, what happens with any unspent transfer money at the end of the season? Does it go towards the budget for the next season or is it added back to the clubs coffers at the end and then more money is made available for the next season?

Any unspent money wont be added back to the balance because the transfer budget comes straight from your balance. It will decrease when you buy a player and increase when you sell. Try offering new contracts to your players, I have noticed that they will generally accept a little less each week allowing you to save more money each week.

The problem is, when you make money, you pay big time at the end of the season because a good share of it goes to the shareholders and you have to pay taxes, too. I experienced, when I make a profit of 30mio a year, I end up with about 5-10mio after the season. This thing needs adressing, the Board should pay off loans in that case instead of giving away 10mio for taxes. It sometimes happens, but way too rare in my opinion.

How on earth did you end up in £300m debt lol? And surley you can't be far off administration?

I was in about £30m debt with FC United after a couple of season in the Premiership and had been given a couple of 'Gift Loans' during that time which basically you dont pay back until your out of the red. This wasn't enough to get me out of debt really, more just keep the club afloat. But come the end of the season I got a message from the chairman saying he had loaned the club £45m to cover the running cost of the club. This has got me out of the red and now the fact that im winning trophies regulary and in the Champions League, am staying out of it.

The problem here is that the game gives silly transfer budgets, and I'm not really sure why. In my game I've finished top 2 of the Premiership every year for the past 5 or so years, and every summer the board tell me that I have c£120m to spend on transfers, when until recently I had significantly less than that in the bank! I don't understand why the game mechanics are set out in this way, because it's very easy to unintentionally run your club into lots of dbt.

In answer to the OP, the best way to help the club save money is to stop signing players. I went 3 years without making any big signings, and sold off a few of my squad players (replacing them with the talented youth I had) and am now £120m in the black (having been £20m in the red 3 years ago).

I'm Liverpool, there is a ton of debt, as in real life.

Then play like Liverpool IRL, where you limit yourself to a transfer budget of £20m every season (including wage budget increases).

Go Arsenal style, I say. Liverpool probably has the same problems in FM 10 and by developing youngsters, you will clear the limit for home-grown players down the line. Which you are probably limited to Gerrard, Johnson, and an aging Carragher that I can remember offhand.

Archived