A sad sad day.....

Whats best way to tidy computer up?? Just De frag it? Or is there anything else???

Defrag at first, then uninstall all programs that you don't use (but be careful don't touch any essential ones running windows), then disable any programs that's starts when windows does, like messenger, or stuff like this (again leave antivirus alone :)) then the most important, when you play the game don't run other programs.

Well all of this depends on your pc specs if you have a good quad core or a very fast dual core with 2 GB + ram then you'll have no problem, if less then these specs try what i mentioned.... :thup:

Defrag at first, then uninstall all programs that you don't use (but be careful don't touch any essential ones running windows), then disable any programs that's starts when windows does, like messenger, or stuff like this (again leave antivirus alone :)) then the most important, when you play the game don't run other programs.

Well all of this depends on your pc specs if you have a good quad core or a very fast dual core with 2 GB + ram then you'll have no problem, if less then these specs try what i mentioned.... :thup:

Even with a top of the line pc, it's good to regularly go through your msconfig and make sure anything opening at startup (programs and processes) are actually important, and not just "funtimes websearchbar", "the printer you had two year ago's manager" or "shhwerenotabotnetprogramhonest"...

Leave even the best pc in the hands of some people for a few months and that can quadruple the speed of, well, anything.

edit: Also, make sure there's always a couple of gig free on whatever drive the computer puts page files in. My work pc was practicly dead once, because of others at the bar filling the C drive up with downloaded junk. Got rid of the p2p programs, deleted all their crap and made some room on the C drive and it ran like a dream again. Worst thing of all is they left the D drive empty. :(

edit2: That said, i'm not doing any cleaning up ready for the demo. The new game, however, arrives just after Windows 7, so will be on a nice reformatted machine. I'm not looking forward to having to move all of my stuff onto an external. It's all junk too unimportant to backup (so not regularly done), but too important to just delete when I can save it. :(

My XP Pro after finishing the booting HD work stands on roughly 175MB of memory occupation.

I think that's quite good ;)

BTW: I have never seen a modern game go beyond 1.5-1.8 GB memory occupation ,despiting it is " known " nowdays that you " must " have 3-4-5-6 GB or RAM.

I assume FM10 won't never go beyond 1.5GB, so the remaining free GB will be a complete waste of money and time.

-

I don't think I'll uninstall it until the full FM 10 game is released. I just took over a 2nd division Portuguese team and am doing well and enjoying it so I don't see the need to. Depending on how my save is going, and how much I'm enjoying it I might not even get the full game on release day but wait until I'm fed up with my current save.

What I do is when I get a new computer or install a new OS, I format the HD, install the OS, install drivers and any other vital programs I use (Firefox, Avira Antivirus etc.). Change settings in Control Panel/Administrative Tools to optimize everything, use Disk Cleanup, defrag and the create a disk image with Norton Ghost 14. Then, if anything goes wrong or things start slowing down, I just reformat, copy the image back onto the HD and it's like having a brand new PC all over again. All lovely and fast and cleeeaaann. :D

Good procedure, but you will have to install all the hotfixes meanwhile released. Same speech foe nwere versions of Reader, Winrar etc. etc..

Maybe it is quicker to rebuild it from scratch once every 1-2 years. Anyway your tasks are definitely the good ones to apply.

I assume FM10 won't never go beyond 1.5GB, so the remaining free GB will be a complete waste of money and time.

-

Depends on how you use your pc really...

If you are streaming a film to the TV (via the ps3) for the misses to watch, listening to music via spotify, have a couple of messengers over on the second monitor to talk to people, run FM windowed and alt tab between it and firefox every few minutes then it might be handy to have that extra gigabyte.

If you are using an NTFS file system, which if you're using XP or above you most probably are, then tbh there is little to be gained in running the Defrag. I haven't run mine in years.

The rest of the advice is sound, though. :thup:

Depends on how you use your pc really...

If you are streaming a film to the TV (via the ps3) for the misses to watch, listening to music via spotify, have a couple of messengers over on the second monitor to talk to people, run FM windowed and alt tab between it and firefox every few minutes then it might be handy to have that extra gigabyte.

Ehehe...you are right but usually when I play FM I don't open anything else but FM itself. ( I still think anyway that 2GB are enough for what you mentioned )

I am too old to perform such a multitasking :D

Archived