3 Foreigner Rule

I've read in one of the blogs that when the testers were playing around with the new league editor they were able to implement a three/five foreigner type ruling. Has anyone read anymore or can anyone from SI let us know how the following would work: would players from the home nations count as foreigners? For example, would Steve Davis of Rangers be a foreigner because he's a Northern Irishman playing in Scotland, would Darren Fletcher be a foreigner because he's a Scot playing in England?

Could have swore I saw this in the League Editor video on one of the blogs. I think you can just set your own perimeters, i.e. non-EU, no foreign etc.

Yes you can set your own rules, but that's not what the OP is asking. What are the rules for home country players. Actually it's not an FM10 editor question as such; whatever the real rules are now is the issue. Who knows the answer? When Man United submit their squad for the European Champions League, is Darren Fletcher counted as home-grown or foreigner?

The Champions League rules aren't about the players nationality, rather which youth system they came through. You could have a Brazilian player in your squad, but if he came though your youth system or one in your country, he will count as home grown. So, yes, Darren Fletcher is home grown for Man United.

On the original question, I have been wondering this myself recently. I'm debating on adding a maximum limit of foreigners in English squads in FM10, but I'm not sure how home nation players will be treated. If I had to guess, I'd say that given that they all share a British passport, like it shows on the "days in country" part, then they won't count as foreign. I assume Irish Republic players would be foreigners, although I'm quietly hoping they won't.

I'm hoping home nations players won't count as foreigners also, but that's probably evident considering I started the thread! I want to try, if possible, to bring in a three/five foreigner rule for matchday squads in all the major European leagues, or at least until I get bored. I have a feeling that it would be possible for Irish Republic players to not be counted as foreigners, but obviously I'm just guessing!

Archived