Del Piero...

I'm managing Juventus. Del Piero is know 36 and is getting injured quite regularly. He's my captain when he plays but struggles to get through a game without coming off with a knock. Here i'll try to explain the situation.

Del Piero - Plays 45 minutes.

60th Minute - Del Piero needs to be substituted.

After game - Del Piero suffered a dead leg will be available in 1 day.

He hasn't got through a full match this season. (9 games in)

He's my captain when available, Jesus Christ he's the darling of turin but he's currently frustrating me. My first choice strike force is Guiseppe Rossi + Carlos Vela. Obviously I have Del Piero starting the big games. He managed to get golden boot last year with 22 goals.

How can I combat his problem?

Well.... First of all his injuries were major, he missed 4 months last season with ligament damage. Towards end of last season he suffered the same injury and was out for another 2 months. I've never rushed him back in and always made sure he's 100%. I also manage my reserves and under 18's and I always played him in a few games for reserves until he was match fit.

He's having dreams of becoming my assitant manager and I'm in his favoured personell. Juventus is also his favourite club obviously.

I've made my own training schedule for him which seems to have softened his injury crisis but is know suffering from light injuries regularly. He has no plans to retire but has just retired from international football.

Many Thanks.

I would start Del Piero on the bench, that way your vice captain would take over as captain until DelPiero comes on. If you need goals then bring him on in the second half if your other strikers are struggling and the other players on the field will have lower condition by then so it may be easier for him to compete.

Let's face at 36 its no wonder he is struggling to compete physically, Carragher is 34 on my liverpool save and mised the business end of last season through injury, luckily Kjaer stepped up and did an excellent job.

I've tried that, giving him a few minutes and blooding him in as you would a 16 year old but it just isn't working. He's always getting light injuries.

I once gave him 15 minutes towards the end and he came off injured was out for a week, his condition from 97% to 24%. Game after I gave him final half an hour to test my theory that his body has packed in and he scored and lasted. Game after I started him and after 20 odd minutes he was injured again.

Things i'd do to make him young again.

I

Things i'd do to make him young again.

There's always FMRTE, but that's the equivalent of selling your soul to the devil. Trust me I know (about fmrte, not the devil)! :D

I would suggest you persuade him to become a coach at the club and find a younger version...

To be honest, just deal with it. If Del Piero's injured he can't be complaining from not playing. So play him as much as you can, get the use out of him and go scouting for a replacement, might i suggest:

Alexis Sanchez

(although unless you're at the beginning of the game and can scoop him up for £5m, you'll have to pay through the nose)

To be honest, just deal with it. If Del Piero's injured he can't be complaining from not playing. So play him as much as you can, get the use out of him and go scouting for a replacement, might i suggest:

Alexis Sanchez

(although unless you're at the beginning of the game and can scoop him up for £5m, you'll have to pay through the nose)

Yeah good idea, either him or:

Alberto Paloschi

Drop him. I know it can be difficult to drop "big" names, but if he's not up to standard then he has to lose his place.

I've had to drop both my captain and vice-captain to the reserves at Glentoran, even though they are both on the club's Icon list.

You should pick players on their current ability/fitness/morale/etc. not on their reputation.

I don't know the issue with Italian clubs and reserve matches but if it had one, you could let Del Piero figure in a couple of matches there for a month and after that promote him to the first team. But I guess in your case the only thing to do is don't start with him every game. For example, his experience is vital and against Inter or Milan play start with them but sub him off just before half time other games against bari,catania etc. use him as a sub.

Whatever it is, don't sell him.

I agree with you here! You should just sell him off as he is getting old!!

\

I don't understand why people sell players who are important to the team. He doesn't have to play to be influential to the team, just having him in the bench or playing the last couple of minutes can do wonders. Experience is not something you can get easily, and for Del Piero selling him would be very disrespectful to his commitments and his fans.

He is 36 as well, he might probably not be worth that much.

I'm playing Juventus atm 4th season Del Piero is one of my youth coaches with good stats. I didn't offer him a contract same with Cannarvo and they both good coaches at my club now. I think that having them around the club is rewarding for some reason...

That guy you recommened runandjump I signed him up before and he is average at best... Stats are good but doesn't do all that great..

Archived